Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Retarded Oblivion fan interview

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I just have to say I love Vault Dweller's posting style when it comes to news. The first news I ever read on the Codex was one of Vault Dweller's posts, and that's the only reason I stuck around and checked out the site. If other people don't like it, tough. Rock on Vault Dweller!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
dojoteef said:
I just have to say I love Vault Dweller's posting style when it comes to news.
Thanks, man, nice to hear something positive.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Speaking of that first question, I remember a few people in the old #blackisle on Gamesnet(which is now GameSurge) talking about how great it would be to have some large, Forgotten Realms city in a CRPG that had a population of eight million people. I never quite understood why anyone would think having a city like that in a CRPG would be cool. What's the point of having thousands of useless NPCs roaming around that serve no purpose at all except to drop frame rates and tie up vast amounts of memory?

If Oblivion paves the way for large crowds in games, I would not mind. My dream is someday to fire up MS Flight Simulator 200x and cluster bomb squares full of foreign civilians, insert the GTA: Tokyo disk and plow through Shibuya crossing at noon, or mow down the screaming idiots in Times Square when MTV is taping TRL with a machine gun in the latest sequel to the Sims.

Saint_Proverbius said:
Vivec in Morrowind had a lot of people, but it was mostly empty space. In fact, it was fairly annoying just because it took so damned long to do a quest involving that place. There were several quests which involved finding someone in one of those ziggurats, which was pretty damned annoying. If Vivec had thousands of NPCs, it would have just made the situation that much worse.

The problem with Vivec is that when Bethesda's level designers go outside (something that doesn't happen very often from the looks of things) and see their office in the middle of the US's vast, sprawling, automobile infested wasteland, they think that all cities ever built at any time had 2 American-sized lane roads for streets. Except when you go to Europe, one thing you notice about most of the newer roads, is what counts as 2 lanes for Americans (Canadians are Americans too) is 4 1/2 lanes there, and it's not just because the cars are smaller. If you look at the older cities, the streets are even narrower. When you get to real old places like Sicily, it's downright claustraphobic. Of course the key concept here is automobile road vs. street - it seems to me that Vivec's streets were built to accomodate Ford SUVs. I think if you look at European games like Gothic, there is a very big difference - the medieval towns look convincing, compared to the suburbs of Morrowind and NWN. For this reason I think all level designers should study architecture and history.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:
What's being professional then? Being nice and playing kissy-kissy with reviewers and developers?

Subtlety, intelligence, discipline, restraint, respectability...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Cute definition. Sadly it doesn't fit, so I'll pass and stick with integrity.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Your bickering brain's bored bantering bothers blokes, buckaroo!

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
It funny, i brought this subject up a long time ago and everyone was like "OMG WTF U SMOKING FAGGOT LIPS". Now everyone is dancing with High heels on.

Also considering peoples posts irrelavent because of post counts is stupid, even though I dont have as nearly as many as VD i could still ban his ass if I wanted to. u can suck my dick VD

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:

Yea, because calling people retarded for asking questions they were curious about is a perfect example of steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:

What integrity? All you do is fill the Codex with your biased whining on the front news. I didnt know turning the front news into a biased blog of insults was a pivotal part of 'integrity'.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
jiujitsu said:
Yea, because calling people retarded for asking questions they were curious about is a perfect example of steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.

Actually one does not preclude the other. You are making a fundamental error of logic based on your moral and ethical code. Vault Dweller's ethics might dictate that he tells it as he sees it in a shocking way in order to actually get through to people; in that case he is in adherence to his code of conduct.

Often Zen Buddhist Masters will do something very similar with koans. So don't let your standards muddy Vault Dweller's due to your ignorance, jiujitsu.

beans

Novice
Dojoteef's posts tend to make sense when you read them out of context, but if you actually value them as a part of a conversation you see they're just pure nonsense. It's like he's finding points people validly use and then applies them to discussions which are completely unrelated.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
dojoteef, stop doing drugs, and you would also do well to stop coming up with the most ridiculous excuses for Vault Dweller's asinine behaviour. What you said makes very little sense, in any case.

Visceris

Liturgist
VD, you speak of integrity but set up that article as news. That shows as much journalistic integrity as the National Inquirer does when it does an article on Bat Boy or the on the World's Largest Baby.

Now this is not just aimed at VD, but all of you boyos in charge of the Codex. RPGCodex has a lot of talented, but very sarcastic juvie minded egos, individuals. Instead of tearing each other apart you need to actually work together and set a higher standard or at least set a standard in which how news is collected and articles are written.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Fat chance of that happening, Visceris, much to my dismay. With so many individuals moving against me with their deliberate misapprehensions of the things that I say, all for the sake of slandering me and making me look not just like an ass, but a 'flip-flopping(tm), self-contradicting' ass, I don't think the Codex is going to rise above its immaturity anytime soon.

It's bad that whenever I, or anyone, try to take the high road by suggesting that the Codex employ a much more mature outlook of RPGs and their development and not resort to childish nonsense, you can rest assured that somebody will speak out against me and 'call me out for my bullshit and flip-flopping(tm)' regardless of whatever I say, or do so they can satisfy their whims by getting a real kick out of making me look bad.

The Codex forums are self-denigrating, and these select individuals seek to keep it that way because they don't feel like rising above the challenge and improving the community for better. They'd rather it sink into the depths of the DAC wasteland.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I think Vault Dweller can be hilarious. Didn’t MrSmileyFaceDude even write “VD is my favorite” once? Sure, VD can go overboard. It isn’t my opinion, but someone could certainly argue that VD usually goes overboard or goes overboard way too often. But not everybody who’s funny is always in top form. I’ll take the bad with the good.

That’s not to disagree with the serious, overarching points about site professionalism everyone is making. But I do think sarcasm and wit are Codex strengths. A tell-it-like-is approach is a Codex hallmark. No other site has it. These qualities are some of the key reasons I’ve lurked for so long and started posting. Could they be used better? Sure.

But I still love the site. I find nights like this, when everybody dogpiles on VD and he gleefully and unrepentantly fights back, to be some of the site’s finest moments. Most of you will probably think that’s insane. But it’s like watching two scrappy kids in a recess yard who enjoy roughhousing. They start goofing around and throwing punches at each other, and before you know it, 15 people are involved in an all-out melee. It’s great. It’s a huge, confused, exuberant human mess.

Essentially, it’s real. And other sites don’t allow that.

At the Codex, you can bitch, swear, hate each other, throw punches and at the end of the day, it’s like a huge family. It’s wild, spiteful, vengeful and totally dysfunctional, but also a great group to be around.

Visceris

Liturgist
You can be real and still keep a civil tongue. Its not that hard to do.

Exitium, I understand where you are coming from and I am afraid that you might be right.

kerec

Novice
A Look From the Side

While I don't have a problem with VD's style, I do think that labeling the questions as stupid is an error. Where you make the case that the movement of water is inconsequential or lacking in value, I make the case that it tells a large deal.

Right now, Oblivion has extremely limited information released about it. People are trying to get every scrap of information that they can, and once they have enough pieces, try to extrapalate a greater whole.

In the instance of the water, modders who have a specific mod idea in mind, could be used to set a specific mood. If the water does respond in a realistic fashion to the players movements, the modder could create a world where it takes advantage of that fact. Carefully placed changes in coloring of the water to make it look as if there is blood from a nearby corpse, and depending upon the complexity of the engine, possibly leaving blood marks on what the character is wearing.

Another scenario would be an aquatic creature (say a 'blob' or a water elemental). If they could actually assign water properties to this creature, then when you swing through it, the entire creature would ripple. You could also assign the need to having a magic weapon to slay one due to the fact that your weapons pass right through it.

I think labeling those questions as stupid is inaccurate, although I do respect your right to have an opinion and display it. I just think you may want to look at it from all points of view.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
VD: I do think you went overboard with this news article in all honesty. I still like ya though.

Exitium: Get me a female eye rolling smiley and I'll love you for life... in a manly way of course. :wink:

PennyAnte said:
At the Codex, you can bitch, swear, hate each other, throw punches and at the end of the day, it’s like a huge family. It’s wild, spiteful, vengeful and totally dysfunctional, but also a great group to be around.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Vault Dweller

Developer
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Also considering peoples posts irrelavent because of post counts is stupid
Yeah, power to the people and all that shite. Let's give every faggot the right to vote :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
jiujitsu said:
Vault Dweller said:

No, calling retarded people retarded is. You, guys, can fuck around and look for excuses like "they were just curious, is that so wrong?" or "they are teh moddars, they need to know stuff that's beyond your comprehenshun!!!" or "let's not call them retarded, they are intellectually challenged". That's your right and you can do whatever the fuck you want. The point is the interview sucked. Why? Because the questions were idiotic or pointless. I simply stated that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
beans said:
Dojoteef's posts tend to make sense when you read them out of context, but if you actually value them as a part of a conversation you see they're just pure nonsense. It's like he's finding points people validly use and then applies them to discussions which are completely unrelated.
Let's see who's talking
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/search.ph ... thor=beans

Page two.
I have sand in my vagina!
No violence at all, most likely.
Everybody's doin' a brand new dance now.
What a wonderful collection of one-liners. Keep up the good work, beans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom