Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Gaming

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You mean something like Open RPG?
Like, programs that include dice to roll and a chatroom?

Shagnak said:
sportforredneck said:
Mangoose said:
D&D Online could be fun with a dedicated group and now that it's free.
I can play weekends.

I might be into that. At least to try it out.
Need to get a setting first and edition first. Darklands, Planescape, Faerun, Grayditch etc, 2nd or 3.5 ed and so on?

Personally I've never played a game of DnD but after playing RPGs and reading many stories of glory and failure I have a fair idea of how it works.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
We (me, jasede, kingcomrade, surgey, ixg, etc) played D&D 3.5 using a program called Fantasy Grounds

It worked fairly well (though the game fell apart when our GM had a nervous breakdown)

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Satori said:
Need to get a setting first and edition first. Darklands, Planescape, Faerun, Grayditch etc, 2nd or 3.5 ed and so on?
Sorry, I was meaning the "now free" MMO :oops:

Satori said:
Personally I've never played a game of DnD but after playing RPGs and reading many stories of glory and failure I have a fair idea of how it works.
I have extensive experience with the PnP version (mainly pre-3.5), but , errr, not sure how well it would work over the net. :?

Shagnak said:
I have extensive experience with the PnP version (mainly pre-3.5), but , errr, not sure how well it would work over the net. :?
Considering it's chatroom/voice-speak based I assume it would run almost as well as if we there in person especially with the right application.

Mackerel

Augur
Anyone ever played Paranoia? It's a lot more fun than D&D in my opinion.

It's got it's own app for running online games.
http://www.paranoia-live.net/

JPscreenshot.jpg

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Played a game of Paranoia XP with Calis, Jasede and some random faggots.The random faggots ruined it, so it kinda sucked

Nicolai said:
Played a game of Paranoia XP with Calis, Jasede and some random faggots.The random faggots ruined it, so it kinda sucked
Probably best to only allow Codexers whose personalities are known and accepted into the foray.
Calis said:
Pretty sure I wasn't all that great of a GM either. I never was a great GM even when I played PnP regularly.
It's not a job for everyone, no need to be disheartened at that prospect.

I've been/was GMing a Paranoia XP game on another board, but we didn't use the apps due to timezone differences meaning we'd never be able to scrape together at the same time, so we just used the forum for it. Given that in a year we've covered as much ground as the average PnP group would in three sessions, I'm beginning to think it was a bad idea.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nicolai said:
We (me, jasede, kingcomrade, surgey, ixg, etc) played D&D 3.5 using a program called Fantasy Grounds

It worked fairly well (though the game fell apart when our GM had a nervous breakdown)

YOU CAN'T REPLACE YOUR EYE WITH A DRAGON'S EYE FUCK YOU RARGH

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Chatroom based P&P would be fine for me too. But I'll grab DDO for now, since it's free.

Edit: Oh. The new free version isn't out until the 9th.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Been playing a bit of DDO, since you can play if you had a previous account (I had a trial account).

Puzzles and traps in dungeons = cool. Wide range of monsters (Sahuagin, humans (with clerics, mages, archers, fighters, rogues), mephits, undead) just in the beginning areas = nice, also. Hopefully they keep pulling from the D&D Bestiary instead of reskinning old models.

However, holding down the mouse button to autoattack isn't fun, when I'm doing it for hours at a time. I can Trip, Sunder, and Intimidate as a Fighter, but no tactical goodies like 5-foot-step and Bullrush and Charge. Maybe there's a Disarm in there though. I can see party-play as a definite necessity.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well I was gonna play DDO but then I got caught up in Arx Fatalis. :(

If anyone does want to play DDO, though, let me know name and server. I'll probably roll a Wizard.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Fucking fatal Arx Fatalis memory error is fucking fail.

My DDO character is "Mangoose Mangina" on Cannith, the new server.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I wasn't aware that it was any good in PVP.

I really haven't played much, since like I said I was trying to play Arx Fatalis, but from what I've seen it seems to be a more complex dungeon crawl than other MMOs.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P00YRexq5PA

DDO tries to have a set of rules similar to 3.5E PnP... You can multiclass how you want, you have skill points, you have feats. You have spell points (mana) but they do not regenerate unless you find a specific resting point. Basically it's like a professional NWN persistant world with real-time combat and vertical movement.

Now I don't really know if the dungeons are designed well enough to need good party tactics, or if they're easy enough to just tank and spank. But I'm willing to give it a try and I think it would be fun with some other Codexers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom