Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Retarded Oblivion fan interview

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
He's only done it twice that I have seen. This time and the 'pete full-of-shit hines' time. So, I don't consider it 'his style' based on two out of many news posts. I'm asking him to stick with his style and not go overboard with front page news.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think RPGCodex should either introduce banning or a kind of "faglimit" due to which only one "x is a poohead" thread would be allowed daily and all the others would get locked.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
jiujitsu said:
Vault Dweller said:
Really? Did I post "Morrowind fans suck" post? 'Cause that would be reporting opinions as news. So, why don't you think about it, try to focus, and tell us what IS the issue at hand here?
You called the interview retarded. If that was a fact then by all means post it as news. It isn't a fact, though. It's your personal opinion that many do not share with you. It was out of line to push it onto us like you did.
I posted the interview as a fact and added a comment which is, of course, an opinion. If you don't share that opinion, disagree and argue, which you have, I believe. Yet you still whine and complain. I can't believe there are people who get so upset whenever they are presented with someone's opinion.

What makes the questions stupid? The people asking them needed to know the answers. The information might not have been valuable to you, but it is to them.
Well, we have to draw the line somewhere. Purely out of curiosity, if one question was "do I need to buy a computer or a console in order to play the game?", would you label it as retarded or still think that a person who asked it really wanted to know the answer and that there is nothing wrong with the question?

Yes? It would also be nice to read news posts by you written with more tact.
It would, wouldn't it?

He's only done it twice that I have seen. This time and the 'pete full-of-shit hines' time. So, I don't consider it 'his style' based on two out of many news posts. I'm asking him to stick with his style and not go overboard with front page news.
Actually it was about 60. I ran a search recently when I wanted to show Saint that I did it like 3-4 times :lol: Anyway, I usually do that when circumstances call for that, i.e. something really stupid took place. In most cases, I'm as good natured as my rank states. :wink:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
I posted the interview as a fact and added a comment which is, of course, an opinion. If you don't share that opinion, disagree and argue, which you have, I believe. Yet you still whine and complain. I can't believe there are people who get so upset whenever they are presented with someone's opinion.

Well, you called the interview retarded in the headline and said "let's focus on that" then did so. That just made me go 'bleh'. It's just so blunt.

Vault Dweller said:
Well, we have to draw the line somewhere. Purely out of curiosity, if one question was "do I need to buy a computer or a console in order to play the game?", would you label it as retarded or still think that a person who asked it really wanted to know the answer and that there is nothing wrong with the question?

That particular question would be retarded because the answer is attainable using common sense. Asking about the behavior of water isn't something that common sense can figure out. I believe someone said that it was the modders who wanted to know about a lot of that stuff.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
jiujitsu said:
Asking about the behavior of water isn't something that common sense can figure out. I believe someone said that it was the modders who wanted to know about a lot of that stuff.
True, you can't attain the information regarding water using common sense. The question is still pointless, even for modders. If you can explain to me how the answer to that question will honestly affect gameplay in a meaningful way that a modder could use please do. Morrowind has water, so it stands to reason that Oblivion will as well. In fact they've said in another interview that they will have some underwater quests, but have cut down on a lot of them because of complaints in Morrowind. So what purpose does asking if water can be above or below the "0" level have to do with making a bloody mod?

Elwro

Arcane
dojoteef said:
[True, you can't attain the information regarding water using common sense. The question is still pointless, even for modders.
Suppose you want to make a lake in the middle of the island. You want it to be surrounded by mountains. In Morrowind you have no choice when it comes to the water level - it is the same as the sea level in all inland basins. I can imagine a situation in which it is a PITA to some modders who have to design the environment "around" the water, and can't change the water level directly.

BTW, only now did I have the chance to read the whole interview. I found it quite interesting and imo the questions were in no way retarded. Of course, I was very interested in modding the game for quite a long time, so I understand VD's opinion, although I don't share it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
jiujitsu said:
Well, you called the interview retarded in the headline and said "let's focus on that" then did so. That just made me go 'bleh'. It's just so blunt.
What's wrong with being blunt again? I understand when you say that it's unprofessional to call someone stupid openly - people are expected to smile and eat the bullshit not to say what's the fuck with that shit!, so at least I can see where you are coming from, but feeling uncomfortable when someone's blunt? My turn to go "bleh"

Asking about the behavior of water isn't something that common sense can figure out.
Can common sense tell the guy that it's kinda stupid to ask SPECIFIC modding questions at this point?

I believe someone said that it was the modders who wanted to know about a lot of that stuff.
I don't know. I'm not a modder.
So, you are not modder, which means you have no idea whether the question has any value or not, yet you argue your ass off trying to prove that questions weren't stupid. Now, that's stupid.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Elwro said:
Suppose you want to make a lake in the middle of the island. You want it to be surrounded by mountains. In Morrowind you have no choice when it comes to the water level - it is the same as the sea level in all inland basins. I can imagine a situation in which it is a PITA to some modders who have to design the environment "around" the water, and can't change the water level directly.
How does this honestly matter. It makes no difference other than scenery whether or not the water is at "sea level" or not. It's not important. It doesn't help you make a better mod. It's not an innovation that will change anything. Yay, I can go swimming in a pool on higher land! Dude, that's going to make every mod fucking awesome!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
dojoteef said:
How does this honestly matter. It makes no difference other than scenery whether or not the water is at "sea level" or not. It's not important. It doesn't help you make a better mod. It's not an innovation that will change anything. Yay, I can go swimming in a pool on higher land! Dude, that's going to make every mod fucking awesome!

In many cases it could. For example in dungeons/puzzles where water-filled tunnels are a barrier.

Shades of Tomb Raider there, I know, but I've seen the concept used in CRPGs like Wizards and Warriors. For example the underwater city, where some rooms had a localised tide level so you could have a bit of a breather before swimming to the next room.
And Im sure thats not the only 'water-level' example in existence.

What if the entrance to a similar situation was high up on a mountain? It would make sense that it would be in a lake or whatever.

Perhaps to some mod makers (with a bit of imagination) flexibility in such matters may be important - Im sure many of them have thought of situations that we have not thought of where seemingly pointless options are actually useful.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
So, you are not modder, which means you have no idea whether the question has any value or not, yet you argue your ass off trying to prove that questions weren't stupid. Now, that's stupid.

Doesn't the same go for you? You wouldn't have called it retarded if you knew the reasons for the question.

Elwro

Arcane
Yeah, well, I have to agree that it's not "serious". But suppose someone wanted to make a mod about a dam. Maybe, before Morrowind's release, there was a whole guild of people designing a mod, the absolutely crucial point of which was a dam and the fact that the game made different water levels possible. For example the water level could be decreased so that a new system of caves would be discovered. And after the game was released, they found that all the rivers in the world were flowing in an exactly horizontal way, and that it was impossible to e.g. make a lake up high in the mountains. I know I'd be upset.

:wink:

If the water level could vary it might mean we could have really flowing rivers, like in Gothic - and I'd consider that a desirable improvement. Waterfalls...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Considering that there was a waterbreath spell, I fail to see how the water level was a problem.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
I knew the reason for the question. What else you've got?

Well, you did say:

Vault Dweller said:
The correct answer to these and other question is "Who gives a fuck?"

If you knew who gave a fuck and why then what is wrong with the questions? You feel they missed an opportunity to ask something better?

Maybe you can shoot an e-mail off to Pete Hines with some questions that non-modders would be interested in.

Vault Dweller

Developer
jiujitsu said:
If you knew who gave a fuck and why then what is wrong with the questions?
Knowing the reasons and agreeing with the reasons are two different things, aren't they? It's not like we don't know the reasons for every question that gets "you have to equip the ring" response. Doesn't mean the questions aren't stupid.

You feel they missed an opportunity to ask something better?
Yep. Considering that the interview was, as someone said, an information-free zone, yeah, I do feel that they could have asked something better.

Maybe you can shoot an e-mail off to Pete Hines with some questions that non-modders would be interested in.
Thanks, I'll pass. MrSmiley's already answered some of my questions.

Elwro

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Considering that there was a waterbreath spell, I fail to see how the water level was a problem.
Suppose the quest would be about leading a NPC who would not able to cast the spell to a certain underground temple, the entrance to which would in the beginning be hidden underwater... :D

But, seriously, don't you just think it would be better if the game allowed for different water levels? I remember the when I saw rivers in Gothic I thought "That's how it was supposed to look like in Morrowind".

Visceris

Liturgist
After readig the last few pages of this thread this one line is rings very much true: Arguing on the Internet is like participating in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still a reatard.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Vault Dweller said:

Mostly because outdoors, all water could only be at height zero. This meant that you couldn't have, say, a lake up in the mountains. Instead you'd have to have a deep valley that cut down to "sea level". It also meant that you couldn't have rivers that flowed down from the mountains.

That's why the modders were interested in being able to have features like flowing water, puddles (though I think they would rather have mountain lakes & ponds), and water at heights other than 0. Just so they could have a bit more control over the water topography.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The questions seemed stupid at first, especially the 'puddle' question, but it doesn't seem so stupid once you understand the context.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I have a feeling this thread's going to beat the infamous Fable one. Twenty pages of bitch-fest goodness is what I foresee. Oh yesssss.

MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I saw it last night. I give it a "meh" out of 5. Kinda long & boring. Way too many "gang walks towards the camera looking badass in slow motion while some cool music plays in the background" scenes, and not enough action. Ryan Reynolds' character was hilarious, though.

Okay, thanks. I didn't care for the first two much, but I did love the wire-fu/cg action sequences from the second one. Really well done. Was hoping I might get to see more like that. I think they were pulled off better than most action movies to date. The sword fight with the vamp chick towards the beginning of Blade 2 is classic.

Visceris

Liturgist
Blade 3 was okay and was what I expected, and I have to concur that Ryan Reynold's was hilarious, especially his reaction to the puppies. The puppies freaked me out just a lil' bit. Over all Blade 2 is the best of the bunch wit Blade 1 in second, and Blade 3 in third, but Blade 3 was worth the four bucks I spent.

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
That's why the modders were interested in being able to have features like flowing water, puddles (though I think they would rather have mountain lakes & ponds), and water at heights other than 0. Just so they could have a bit more control over the water topography.
While I fail to see what mountain lakes have that deep valley lakes don't :), this stuff is subjective and there is no point in arguing which lake offers better role-playing opportunities. The point is that if the original question and a few others were phrased the way MSFD phrased one, instead of "Would I be able to make a realistic puddle simulator?", this tragic incident wouldn't have happened.

Visceris

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
While I fail to see what mountain lakes have that deep valley lakes don't :), this stuff is subjective and there is no point in arguing which lake offers better role-playing opportunities. The point is that if the original question and a few others were phrased the way MSFD phrased one, instead of "Would I be able to make a realistic puddle simulator?", this tragic incident wouldn't have happened.

Oh, don't lie. You would have come up with something I am sure. :P

However I do see his point in which it would be better role playing in a mountain lake in certain circumstances. In one module I played a while back (PnP that is) where there was a great source of demonic evil coming from a large mountain lake. Well, in the center of this lake was a 100 foot statue which was hollowed out where the demons resided. The PCs had to figure what was going on, find a way to get to the demon base, then get out alive while the statue breaks apart around them and the lake comes rushing in on them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom