Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Retarded Oblivion fan interview

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Visceris said:
The PCs had to figure what was going on, find a way to get to the demon base, then get out alive while the statue breaks apart around them and the lake comes rushing in on them.

Reminds me of some fantasy movie I saw a loooooong time ago. Can't remember the name of it though.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Exitium said:
I wouldn't usually embroil myself in flame wars (notice how I managed to stick out of the Sarvis flame thread, or the VD-Sheriff flame war) but I'll get advertantly pulled into them by goons like Seven, EEVIAC, dojoteef or Jed who've seen fit to 'call me out' on every single one of my posts.

You include me in that list? I've never tried to score off you or make you look stupid, (evidenced by not pointing out those inconsistencies in their relevant threads, or in casual discussions.) I didn't draw you into an argument, I kept it to the one thread that was dedicated to the subject at hand, that you started.

Seven

Erudite
I’ve read through a lot of the minutia in this thread, and I think it’s much ado about nothing. Wow, VD had an opinion in a news post, big deal? No of course not.

If I call correctly having an opinion is what distinguished this place, and it’s why me and a lot of other people visit this place; it’s why this place was started, so that opinions which weren’t being expressed could be posited out there.

I think that the critique that a lot of people have leveled at VD is without any grounding especially given the nature of this site. Do you people remember a company called Bioware? Well, how’s what’s been said about BIO and their games different in any way. Not only that, this news topic was not leveled at a developer, it was leveled against some really dumb fan questions. I’m sorry, (I know my memory’s not what it used to be) but haven’t most of us said worse things about Bio fans in both threads and news topics?

For the next comment, I’ll make my apology now, because I know that I’ll be offending some regulars who I have some respect for. Any one who critiques VD for posting this falls into three categories: hypocrite (for not calling this from when it started), newbie (I’m not using the term derogatively, it’s just a statement of fact), or they’re an Oblivion fan who’s been offended.

So in conclusion, stop whining cause this is nothing new.

EDIT:
What are you feeling sorry about? I wouldn't usually embroil myself in flame wars (notice how I managed to stick out of the Sarvis flame thread, or the VD-Sheriff flame war) but I'll get advertantly pulled into them by goons like Seven, EEVIAC, dojoteef or Jed who've seen fit to 'call me out' on every single one of my posts.

I just noticed this, I was trying to ignore you (Rex), but I've never been good at that. Well you are right, you don't usually embroil yourself in flame wars, you just start them and then delete posts when some one retaliates. To be very honest with you, I nor am any one else is/are advertantky pulling you into anything, you do it to yourself, so stop making excuses and accept that. Also while trying to accept that fact grapple with this other lttle fact, no one has a problem with you having an opinion that is different from mine or any one elses'; the problem is that you don't have an opinion that has a monicrome of consistency. There would be no problem if you could keep the same opionion for a week.

Visceris

Liturgist
Seven said:
...this is nothing new.

And that is the problem in my opinion. RPG Codex needs to strive to be one of the best CRPG sites, which it has the potential of being, instead of looking like a cesspool of unfocesed juvenile delinquents.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Seven said:
I’ve read through a lot of the minutia in this thread, and I think it’s much ado about nothing. Wow, VD had an opinion in a news post, big deal? No of course not.

It wasn't that he posted his opinion. It was that his opinion lacked subtlety and tact. His opinion took center stage and the news he was 'reporting' was secondary to it.

Seven

Erudite
jiujitsu said:
Seven said:

It wasn't that he posted his opinion. It was that his opinion lacked subtlety and tact. His opinion took center stage and the news he was 'reporting' was secondary to it.

Isn't that the point. All of those NW reviews were as bland as hell, I could have went anywhere to find out that most sites feliatiated over it, the point is I came here for the commentary; this is a house built on controversy, are we to change it now because of some malcontents?

Why the fuck was ElderGoat banned? you guys are such faggots

You need to ask? :roll:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Seven said:
Isn't that the point. All of those NW reviews were as bland as hell, I could have went anywhere to find out that most sites feliatiated over it, the point is I came here for the commentary; this is a house built on controversy, are we to change it now because of some malcontents?

Yea, that's why I like this site, but it was just a bit more rash than usual. I wouldn't have cared at all if he said those exact same things in the new comments. I probably still would have said something defending why the questions were stupid, but it wouldn't have gone on like this.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
For all of you folks giving elaborate reasons why a water level is important for modders, please take this next bit into consideration. The reason the question is stupid is that it doesn't enhance the game in any noticeable way. True it'll give you the ability to have a lake on the top of a "mountain". All that does is add an extra place to put water that isn't substantially change anything about a mod. If someone is designing a mod this early with no release date even close to being announced they are stupid, especially if the pivotal point of the mod is whether or not you can have water on a hilltop.

Maybe had they instead asked about significant changes in the construction set with regards to level designing then it would have made more sense. Such a specific question such as water level is really stupid because it is very minor and adds very little of real use to the game.

Heck if I were a modder, I'd probably be asking more meater questions such as the ability to use and modify shaders, displacement maps, bump maps, etc. Will there be a large library of those to choose from and what sort of requirements and limitations do they have, etc. Then again, that's just me.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Visceris said:
The PCs had to figure what was going on, find a way to get to the demon base, then get out alive while the statue breaks apart around them and the lake comes rushing in on them.

Reminds me of some fantasy movie I saw a loooooong time ago. Can't remember the name of it though.

I remember! It was a scene from that ass of a movie Conan The Destroyer. They were in that wizard's tower made of ice and when Conan kills the wizard, the place starts melting and coming down around them while they try to escape. Not the same as what you mentioned, but definitely similar.

Wonder if they make another Conan movie starring Arnie if it will be called Conan The Governor. :lol:

PennyAnte

Liturgist
On the main forum page, should the title of the Help section stay like it is:

General Game Help
Stuck? You've come to the right place! Make sure you clearly state the game you want help with in the topic sentence.

Or should it be:

General Game Help
Suck? You've come to the right place! Make sure you clearly state the game you want help with in the topic sentence.

:D

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Nine pages of this bullshit? You, guys, are really nuts. [And I admit I am no better by posting in this thread.]

Anyways, the thing is as simple as it gets - ok, post your opinion, VD, but be ready there some that disagree. And I disagree questions are stupid. To be honest, I think this whole mess is stupid. VD is stupid to reply. You others are stupid to just come here. And we all are stupid because we speak of geeky cRPGs. Isnt that stupid? I mean, shouldnt we care about getting money or sex? Its stupid we talk about this bullshit, called cRPGs and its even stupider [this word once caused great discussions in #fallout..wait, did I wrote it right?] we call other stupid cRPG fans stupid. That all is stupid, imo.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Kamaz said:
ok, post your opinion, VD, but be ready there some that disagree.
I'm always ready.

VD is stupid to reply.
What do you expect me to do? Ignore people who are asking questions? RPG Codex is all about customer service :lol:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't know when the RPG Codex became the "Juvenile Codex" but that's what it's becoming right now.

Look, don't judge people based on their post counts. Just because they don't post much doesn't mean they aren't avid readers of the website, and it doesn't make their opinions any less valuable than Volourn and his 3000+ posts, the majority of which consist purely of 'r00fles' and 'why do you lie'. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

It's like visitors can't even express their opinion or ask a simple question here without a couple of bastards engaging them in some childish repartee, and whenever somebody has an opinion that differs even slightly from Vault Dweller's, he and some of the rowdier members jump up in support of his opinion, not by backing up what he says but by labelling the other guy a 'dumbfuck', 'moron', 'retard', or pinning him with any number of other irrelevent facts, like calling him a newbie for his low postcount (as if that makes his argument any less valid) or whatever.

VD could have mentioned subtly his opinion about the fan interview by quoting the "will there be puddles?" question and leaving it at that but instead he had to go and call the interview outright 'retarded', and berate the fanbase. Way to go, slick. Every time he makes a post like that, the only result is 9+ pages worth of flames against HIM rather than a discussion about the actual SUBJECT.

You might accuse me of having being an attention whore, especially with the 2 posts that I made in GD that are now in Retardo Land, and if you did, you would be right. It was stupid of me, and I apologise. So, compared to the post that VD made in the news, it really isn't all that different because he only managed in bringing attention to himself rather than to Oblivion or the fan interview.

So remember (and this apply to you also, VD), this isn't the Vault Dweller Codex. We're here to discuss (or debate) RPGs so starting a thread this deliberate to bring attention to yourself knowing full well that you would unsettle a number of our readers ISN'T the kind of thing the RPG Codex is about. Yes, we're about truth, and we're about the opinions of gamers, but we're not about juvenile bullshit like this.

Oh, and if you guys are going to argue with other people, please use solid arguments instead of contemptuous nonsense like "You are a newbie so my opinion is right and you are wrong NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA I DONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU". Mmm-kay?

VD, if people disagree with you - there are times that you just have to agree to disagree. You can't force your opinion down people's throats. It is petulant to resort to calling somebody a 'dumbfuck' for liking Oblivion or finding merit in those fan questions.

xemous

Arcane
dojoteef said:
I just have to say I love Vault Dweller's posting style when it comes to news. The first news I ever read on the Codex was one of Vault Dweller's posts, and that's the only reason I stuck around and checked out the site. If other people don't like it, tough. Rock on Vault Dweller!

agreed, VD is a funney bastard. his posts always huge response.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"the majority of which consist purely of 'r00fles' and 'why do you lie'."

Why do you lie?

R00fles!

P.S. Nice trolling. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Exitium said:
I don't know when the RPG Codex became the "Juvenile Codex" but that's what it's becoming right now.
If it is, it's partly due to your efforts, Rex. Let's look at the chronology of the events. I posted a news post. Jiujitsu decides that calling me an asshole and other bullshit like "this isn't VD's Codex and not your weblog" is a good argument. If you are concerned about the site image, you should have explained to him that that was a poor way to express himself, but instead you repeat the same it's not VD's Codex nonsense (you are repeating that even now). The flame war is started.

We discuss the matter in the Staff forum, keeping it "off the streets". It's not enough for you, so you start "in my defense" thread in GD. Some people agree with me, so another thread "why people suck VD's cock" is started. This thread was the most immature and juvenile garbage I've ever seen. Needless to say this thread inspired that goat guy to spam until banned.

Looking at some of your recent topics, I see Diablo-the most awesome game ever made, Halo2!!!!!!OMG SI TEH BEST GAEM EVAR, etc. Juvenile.

Look, don't judge people based on their post counts. Just because they don't post much doesn't mean they aren't avid readers of the website, and it doesn't make their opinions any less valuable than Volourn and his 3000+ posts
I explained many times that post count is an indication of the involvement with the site. If a guy with 4 posts posts an interesting topic, I would always discuss it with respect. If a guy with 4 posts asks me to change my style or criticizes the site, it would be stupid to listen to him, would it not? Think about it, Rex, we have regular members who like the site as is, and we have some noobs who want the site to be more like some other gay site they like. Whom should I listen to? Hmm, that's a tough one.

It's like visitors can't even express their opinion....
Bullshit and you know it. Opinion is one thing, demands to change the site is quite another

...or ask a simple question here without a couple of bastards engaging them in some childish repartee
Examples please. Shouldn't be difficult with so many bastards around, right?

VD could have mentioned subtly his opinion about the fan interview by quoting the "will there be puddles?" question and leaving it at that but instead he had to go and call the interview outright 'retarded'
Many other questions were also stupid, it's just that the "puddle" one was the most idiotic.

Every time he makes a post like that, the only result is 9+ pages worth of flames against HIM rather than a discussion about the actual SUBJECT.
Not including you, there were 4 people who disagreed with me: Jiu, Kamaz, Visc, and Szkoda. The only one who flamed was Jiu. Mostly it was a discussion about the Codex and its mysterious ways. :)

So, compared to the post that VD made in the news, it really isn't all that different because he only managed in bringing attention to himself rather than to Oblivion or the fan interview.
I'm sure you'd like to think that.

So remember (and this apply to you also, VD), this isn't the Vault Dweller Codex.
I know. Jiujitsu told me.

We're here to discuss (or debate) RPGs so starting a thread this deliberate to bring attention to yourself knowing full well that you would unsettle a number of our readers
Rex, cut the bullshit. I told you, there were 4 people who were visibly upset. You hinted that there is a sekret "we hate VD" group who can't stand the way I post but is too shy to say something. Now would be a good time.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
People have turned this thread into "Nation against VD" sorta deal. Well, its wrong. Who is VD anyways? The thing is that I wouldnt definetly call these questions stupid. On the other hand I dont think VD did wrong by posting them. I actually read the whole stuff and was pretty interested in it, since it covered some things about Oblivion I did not know. Honestly, I dont see any retardness in those questions, its some kind of interview and it gives some information about coming game. Question about puddles is not so trivial, as it may seem, because it has to do with physical engine and answer to it may provide interesting information about game's engine itself. For me it was interesting to see how the concept of game has changed since Morrowind.
What was silly, it was calling those question retarded and making fun of them, since those are not silly or retarded, pointless questions, VD. If you fail to understand, dont show your ignorance or [stupidity :D well, of course, its not stupidity, but it would fit here really well] show your haste towards this game and/or fans somehow more directly.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I'd like to make some observations and suggestions.

First, Saint has the final say on what is appropriate or not, am I correct? I think Vault Dweller mentioned Saint asked him to tone it down a bit so I guess we shall see where that leads. So if you have a problem with the style I guess go to Saint because Vault Dweller is firm in his beliefs and I admire that.

Second, why the hell do you guys have to clutter up this damned NEWS thread with this shit. All it takes is making a thread in the Site Feedback board; one that isn't just some random flamebait. You could start a thread with the title "News Posting Style" or some such and discuss EVERYONE's posting style. News posts like the one Vault Dweller did are not new, and are not exclusive to Vault Dweller. So if you really want to continue discussing this I suggest you make that thread and put all that bullshit in there. If you really want you can even try to get input from as many people as possible and see if you can influence Saint to put up a general news posting standard for staff members according to suggestions. Until then stop bitching.

Third, you guys want to talk about being unprofessional; well when some new person comes to this site and decides to see what people had to say regarding the news post, all they're going to see is some flamewar between staff members and site members. That'll easily scare people away much quicker than any news post. If anything is unprofessional it's this lame ass shit. Stay on the topic and move this to it's proper place.

I hope we can stop this stupid shit in here and go back to discussing the merits of the questions; that's what this thread is for.

Visceris

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Looking at some of your recent topics, I see Diablo-the most awesome game ever made, Halo2!!!!!!OMG SI TEH BEST GAEM EVAR, etc. Juvenile.

The difference here that he didn't post it as "news."

Anyway, all this bickering is silly and the grievances are known. Hopefully we will be able to avoid such things in the future.

Oh, the next Conan movie is going to be Conan the King, so you are close, Otaku. Last I heard the script is being worked on.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kamaz said:
What was silly, it was calling those question retarded and making fun of them, since those are not silly or retarded, pointless questions, VD.
They are, Kamaz. As many people have stated the interview is pointless. Why? The questions are stupid. I'm glad that you've managed to learn something new here, perhaps you haven't been paying any attention to the game before, but considering all the known info, the interview has zero value.

If you fail to understand, dont show your ignorance or [stupidity :D well, of course, its not stupidity, but it would fit here really well] show your haste towards this game and/or fans somehow more directly.
Thanks, but I'm a direct person and dislike fucking around.

Anyway, I would be curious to see what exactly you learned from the questions, so why don't you post that, starting with the ones in the news post, instead of just saying the questions are smart, it's you who are stupid for not getting them.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Visceris said:
Vault Dweller said:

The difference here that he didn't post it as "news."
The Codex is more than just the News section. People who leave the site do that because the quality of forums overall is degrading. Anyway, I'm not the one to tell people what to do, but when Exitium is lecturing people about the lack of maturity, he should be reminded to look at himself first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom