Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gothic 3 pocket pool at World of Gothic

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Gothic III

Fansite <A href="http://www.worldofgothic.com/">World of Gothic</a> has posted <A href="http://www.worldofgothic.com/?go=interview5">this interview</a> with some nameless git that works for <A href="http://www.piranha-bytes.com/">Piranha Bytes</a> about <b>Gothic III</b>. Since most of the questions were totally silly, I picked this one for it's silliness:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>World of Gothic: In the meantime, you as the creators of Gothic have attained cult status and are in great demand by the Gothic fans. Each and every of your statements is closely interpreted, reinterpreted, reviewed and made available to a large public. Are you still able to sleep well despite this godlike status?
<br>
<br>
KaiRo:</b> Medi, this sounds a lot like exaggeration. Okay, you are surely right that all of our statements are accurately documented and interpreted. Because of that, we are not giving you a release date because you surely won't do us the favour to quickly forget it. But that's not enough to talk about cult status. In the gaming industry, there is fortunately not a personality cult like the one in the movie industry. Or are you able to tell me the names of more than five game developers? For us, it is actually more important that many players know "Gothic" or "Piranha Bytes". Our own names are secondary to that.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
No, the correct answer would be, <i>Get your hand off my knee!</i>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</A>

Fresh

Erudite
Not a great interview, but the worst thing was the artwork at the end. _Could_ they have gone more cliche with the northman-design.. Disappointing. I hope it isnt an important NPC or anything, cuz he looks so stereotypcial and boring u just want to put an end to his misery.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Not a great interview, but the worst thing was the artwork at the end. _Could_ they have gone more cliche with the northman-design.. Disappointing. I hope it isnt an important NPC or anything, cuz he looks so stereotypcial and boring u just want to put an end to his misery.

That is a very good Gothic artwork. Anybody who have played Gothic knows that. What do you want to see? Gandalf or Frodo?

Whipporowill

Erudite
I guess that the artwork would look stereotypical (as to how the rest of the world would picture a viking) to a swede or nordic citizen, but to the larger part of the world it'll look as exotic as always. That said, I'm not worried.

Fresh

Erudite
theverybigslayer said:
!HyPeRbOy! said:

That is a very good Gothic artwork. Anybody who have played Gothic knows that. What do you want to see? Gandalf or Frodo?

First of all - thats just a thoroughly stupid statement. Secondly - Gandalf? Yeah, an old magician with a long beard carrying around a staff would be sooo radical, not stereotypical/cliche at all. :roll:

Oh well personally Im looking forward to visiting the arabic setting a la Gothic, which could be a refreshing change from the typical fantasy enviroments.

Fresh

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
I guess that the artwork would look stereotypical (as to how the rest of the world would picture a viking) to a swede or nordic citizen, but to the larger part of the world it'll look as exotic as always. That said, I'm not worried.

Exotic aye? Interesting point of view. You're prolly right.

Thing is I expect the first screenshots to wow us, not make us yawn. Why bother releasing anything but the best screens/art? To illustrate what I mean - check out the screenshot of the Oblivion-forest. That screenshot looks sweet, I use it as desktop wallpaper right now. To me it looks like graphics used the way they are supposed to be used - enhancing immersion rather than serving as eye candy. Makes me wanna play the game. Now thats what a screen is all about.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I remember seeing the Alpha screens of Gothic 2 and thinking "meh, it looks exactly the same. How dull!". Screenshots doesn't make a game and concept art can wind up being nowhere close to the finished product. That said, I agree that stereotypes should generally be avoided, but I sure as hell prefer Vikings to elven pansies...

Surlent

Liturgist
But ninjas and pirates are even cooler than vikings. :P

As long as Gothic3 has same kind of open ended world with good exploration and dialogue, it's worth waiting another installment. But it better not have same kind of endgame dungeons as Gothic2.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Can Gothic 3 actually have some original structure?

Please no more join one of the three guilds/camps/groups and then look for the influential people to become member/apprentice/something like thatt.

I uninstalled Gothic soon after I started playing it and am only going to come back to it once my memory of Gothic 2 has been thoroughly purged.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Last I heard there were still camps/orders/gangs to join that might unlock skills et c, but that they, unlike in G and G2, aren't compulsory. You're supposed to be able to side with Beliar and being unaligned at the end... yay for choices.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Whipporowill said:
Last I heard there were still camps/orders/gangs to join that might unlock skills et c, but that they, unlike in G and G2, aren't compulsory.
Well, in G2 there were 3 guilds from which you had to pick one and thus were forced to refrain from joining any of the other 2, but there was e.g. the thieves guild which was non-compulsory (and hidden) and joining it could unlock more training options, while not cutting down your possibilities of joining other guilds. This was a step in the right direction from the first part of the series.
I liked both games very much (I'm in the middle of the second one right now), I'm eagerly looking forward to Gothic 3 but I fear that its requirements will be equivalent to Oblivion's.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Saint_Proverbius said:

Or: Yea, play with my balls while you suck.. mmmm..

That question(or whatever you'd call it) was horrible. How could they suck THAT much dev dick? :roll:

Fresh

Erudite
jiujitsu said:
Saint_Proverbius said:

Or: Yea, play with my balls while you suck.. mmmm..

That question(or whatever you'd call it) was horrible. How could they suck THAT much dev dick? :roll:

Maybe cuz they are Dev-o-sexuals. Then it would come quite naturally.

Stark

Liturgist
!HyPeRbOy! said:
theverybigslayer said:
!HyPeRbOy! said:

First of all - thats just a thoroughly stupid statement. Secondly - Gandalf? Yeah, an old magician with a long beard carrying around a staff would be sooo radical, not stereotypical/cliche at all. :roll:

which statement you're referring to that you consider stupid? I agree totally with theverybigslayer's first sentence. It fits the Gothic gameworld perfectly. Now, his last sentence is just a rebuke to you, so by itself it is not stupid either.

Fresh

Erudite
Well, lets see here.. "Anybody who have played Gothic knows that.. [it] is a very good Gothic artwork". So once u play a game u magically know whats good art and not? All your preferences from before just vanishes & all Gothic-fans think alike? Hey I guess I missed a briefing or sumthing, cuz even though Ive played and enjoyed Gothc, I really dislike this particular piece of "art". Both the design (cliche, boring, etc- cept for the sword) & the technique(amateurish).

Astromarine

Erudite
Hyperboy, he was not judging the art qualitatively, he was judging it's appropriateness to the previously established setting. At least in the "anyone who played Gothic knows that" sentence. Sure, he added "very good", but the second sentence obviously doesn't apply to that.

Fresh

Erudite
Astromarine said:
Hyperboy, he was not judging the art qualitatively, he was judging it's appropriateness to the previously established setting. At least in the "anyone who played Gothic knows that" sentence. Sure, he added "very good", but the second sentence obviously doesn't apply to that.

True, maybe he was judging it's appropriateness. And then its not a stupid statement. Its just pointless, since my whining didnt have anything to do with appropriateness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom