Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview KOTOR 2 wrap report, Part 2

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted the <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/575/575798p1.html>second part</a> of the <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords>KOTOR 2</a> wrap report with <b>Chris Avellone</b> and <b>Chris Parker</b>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>MCA:</b> As far as the story goes, I think maybe we were trying too hard for an Empire Strikes Back feel especially in terms of the revelations toward the end game and the resolutions - we just wanted the player to feel like there was something more going on, something greater, and it may not have seemed to tie together as well as it should. We could have made more of an effort to keep the game more self-contained, but the more that option was discussed toward the end, the less appealing it seemed - we wanted more of a sense that the saga would continue, that what was happening was only symptomatic of something occurring on an even greater scale. I think this is something that sat well with some gamers, but not others.
<br>
<br>
<b>Parker:</b> And unfortunately, we can't really talk about any other things that we are looking to do, but I think <u>we'll always be in the realm of RPGs, although we are also looking at doing some very RPG lite stuff - as much as we love the hard-core RPG, we have no desire to get pigeon holed with a super hardcore reputation.</u> At the same time, while BioWare has been more than amazing and gracious in helping us get started, we would like to do a game that isn't a sequel to one of their products - we can't really prove ourselves until we do that, can we? So that's important for us, too.</blockquote>
<br>
Well, considering that they don't have a clue what a hardcore RPG is, it's definitely a good decision.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Transcendent One

Liturgist
OK I'll believe them and patiently wait until 2010 or whatever year they are going to finish KotOR5, NWN4, JE6, DA3 and BG7, and play their original title to see if they are worth the bother.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
errorcode said:
so, umm....what is a "Hardcore" RPG?

The kind that gives you a blowjob whilst playing it?
icon_confused.gif

operf1

Novice
But we had to look at the schedule and make a big cut after E3. We cut the entire planet.
Droids planet. It reminds me some old soviet sci-fi novell.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Not required that droids planet - in one [old sovietic] sci-fi story there was case people from Earth cut Neptun into 4-5 planets using "special gravity field scissors". It was pretty neat.

Still,dont think its the case. Obsidian, make at least one small gamy..plzzzzz...so we can put your name on dusty shelves nearby the TROIKA with labels "Dont expect smth too much even if they are Fallout descendants."

operf1

Novice
Funny, that.
The whole SW universe (during the Old Republic age) is somehow similiar to Soviet propaganda of "bright future".
Naive, idealistic world, without hunger, squalor or social disparity. Billions of people live under the rule of some democratic Councel. And of course, brave Jedi Order (KGB) protects the innocent from evil and ambitous Sith (capitalists).

United Forever in Friendship and Labour,
Our mighty Republic will ever endure.
The Great Soviet Union will Live through the Ages.
The Dream of a People their fortress secure.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
operf1 said:
The whole SW universe (during the Old Republic age) ... Naive, idealistic world, without hunger, squalor or social disparity.
Pardon me my directness, but this phrase betrays you as a dumb parrot paraphrasing waste bin opinions.
Please, do yourself a favor, get off your high horse and rewatch original material and/or read TotJ. While being a light fare by design, the SW universe is far from what you've stated.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
It's a shame they removed the droid planet, because, for one thing, the game definitely could've used another location or two, and the ones that are there are a bit lacking in content.

Also, earlier in the game, silly HK droids keep hunting the player, and it's said that the only way to stop them is to destroy their source, but this never happens, rather they just eventually stop coming. I'll bet this was a reference to that planet.

Avin

Liturgist
SW is a stupid universe. where GOOD fights EEEEEVIL and this is all about. have you seen poverty in SW ichpokhudezh? where?

i understand that most SW fans tend to see that universe far more darker and deeper than what is shown at movies, books and games.

in fact, SW universe is fairly fascist, there are no real choice in this crap black & white universe unless, of course, you are a fanboy and are looking it with emotional eyes. and, please, do not bring the empire strikes back as a *dark and mature* example of the universe...

operf1

Novice
ichpokhudezh said:
operf1 said:
The whole SW universe (during the Old Republic age) ... Naive, idealistic world, without hunger, squalor or social disparity.
Pardon me my directness, but this phrase betrays you as a dumb parrot paraphrasing waste bin opinions.
Please, do yourself a favor, get off your high horse and rewatch original material and/or read TotJ. While being a light fare by design, the SW universe is far from what you've stated.
First, I build up this opinion on playing KOTOR only, and anyway I wasn't serious.
This is what happens when you forget to put more smiles in your post...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"have you seen poverty in SW"

You are stupid. I certainly have.

Avin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"have you seen poverty in SW"

You are stupid. I certainly have.

too much rage in vollie's heart...

show pictures or shut the fuck up.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Play KOTOR.

Watch the movies.

Stop being a moron who lies.

Avin

Liturgist
no poverty in games. played kotor.

you are in fanboy delirium category or you don't klnow what poverty really is. oh... there is a lot of poverty in canada...

post it or shut up. just go there and make a screenshot. show me. proof me stupid and stop acting as a child.

Mendoza

Liturgist
So the undercity in Taris in KotOR isn't poverty? What kind of weird definition for poverty do you have?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"undercity in Taris in KotOR"

Game over. Mendoza wins YET again.

Mendoza, why do you play these trolls' games and spell it out for them? Now, Avin will make lmae comment about how Taris Undercity is a fake poverty crap or some such.

What a maroon.

Avin

Liturgist
of course not. i can understand that most of guys here live in US, Canada or Europe... you just can't compare poverty up there to brazilian poverty.

assuming this i can even understand why volo shouts like a baby but, you know, that's not real poverty from what i've seen.

it's just like say that diablo is hardcore crpg.

so, if you find a poverty screenshot in SW i'll post a real world poverty and we could compare, agreed?

Avin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"undercity in Taris in KotOR"

Game over. Mendoza wins YET again.

Mendoza, why do you play these trolls' games and spell it out for them? Now, Avin will make lmae comment about how Taris Undercity is a fake poverty crap or some such.

What a maroon.

really, you don't know what are you talking about... just act like a grown man and post your SW pictures and than i will post some pictures from what i *think* poverty is...

clean first world class *poverty* in taris is not what i should say poverty is.

the challenge is up, volo, so stop hiding before clean game SW poverty and show me the money.

or assume you are fucking WRONG.

Avin

Liturgist
well, it's always easy call me a moron well sit there and say that taris is TEH REAL POVERTY.

but you can't prove me wrong. ever. so, bark to the moon, volo. maybe taris illusion of poverty is what all starving kids in etiopia should expect.

go see the world, little volo boy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Waaaaaa! The issue was not which poverty was worse, dumbass. The issue was you lying and saying there was NO poverty or real "dark side" in the SW universe. That is plainly false.

Mendoza gives the example of poverty on Taris. That instantly proves YOU wrong. Unless you didn't play KOTOR; it be kinda hard to miss. It doesn't matter if poverty in Euthansia is worse, dumbass. Poverty is poverty is poverty.

As for SW not being dark; it's kinda hard to ignore the rampant slavery in many parts of the SW universe. Just look at any scene with Jabba the Hutt and his "Slave Girls" which he actually eats. Or the slavery on the Wookiee world in KOTOR.

Geez.. Youa re a joke. You don't know what youa re talking about. Or youa re simply trolling.

Either way, you lose.

Avin

Liturgist
sorry, volo, poverty is not poverty the way SW presentes. it's, for sure, what you understand as poverty. real life is far different this part of the world. i really do not understand why you just want to defend something you like comparing to your life experiences.

"poverty is poverty" could work in a fictional black and white world but, hey, life is different, if you leave your pc room for a while maybe you could check this out.

you could say that the woman that cleans my apartment once for a week is poor. she would probably be offended, because, here, she is not what we call poor.

poverty is not always equals, this is a stupid argument and you know that.

if you still think i'm wrong, post a screenshot of taris and i'll post mine, ok?

the slavery issue is other that you can easily put to SW fans imagination. of course, since episode IV we were shown to tatooine slavery, but, wait, what has been shown of slavery...? some dirty guys in hi-tech chains? SW universe just shed some dimy light at that, the rest is only in fans imagination. or have you seen some slave being raped or facing the cruelty of slavery?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom