Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review English Risen Reviews are cropping up

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Dicksmoker said:
She looks rapeable.

She looks like there's a reason the pic used a common trick angle. Below the neck, she starts ballooning out like the Staypuft Marshmallow Man.
I'm not complaining; sometimes I fap to well-rounded, ballooning chicks.

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I posted this at ReviredMind.com in regards to the house where you get the sword in the start:

"Well, one “small” problem with this quote is: It isn’t his house….. Hmm, wonder how well you played this game"

Here's the answer:

You’re correct Per, it is not his house – as has been pointed out to me already in several emails. With that in mind, the game instantly becomes a highly recommended title and everyone should buy it.

Oh no, wait…I remember that I played it well enough to work out that it looks and feels like it was made during amateur hour and isn’t worth a purchase. It appears as if the majority of the review sites on Metacritic agree with me too but hey, try telling everyone on the various RPG forums, who have been sending me masses of quite vicious complaint emails. Who would have thought that I wasn’t allowed an opinion? After all, according to them, everyone who plays console games is a “retard,” (because obviously, its so much more difficult to install and run a PC game, I guess) so it stands to reason that I’m not allowed to write about my experiences with games when I’ve only just been allowed a pair of safety scissors.

I wonder what would happen if I invited one of them to review the game? 5 out of 5 no doubt. A score that would undoubtedly be based on the fact that the game was an RPG, rather than having anything to do with whether the game is any good or not. Reviewers don’t have that luxury. We can’t say “I like tennis, so every tennis game starts at a maximum score and then gets marked down” and then follow up with “I don’t like shooters, so every shooting game starts at 0 and has to really impress me to get marked up.” Therefore, saying “I like RPGs, so I’m actually going to give this 8 out of 5 and then mark it down to a maximum score when it has glaring holes in it” is nothing like fair. As for the guy who said that having 17 days to review the game in just wasn’t enough and that I obviously hadn’t played it enough because of this – seriously, are you fucking high?

I’m advising on purchases, here. There are a LOT of games out there that provide better value for money than a full-price purchase of Risen on Xbox 360 – IN MY OPINION. The game is poor – IN MY OPINION. It looks like it was made for a last-generation console – IN MY OPINION. You’re welcome to your opinions, folks – that’s what makes the world go round – but don’t send me fucking hate mail and even try to judge my intelligence because your opinion differs.

And bear in mind that this is a review of the Xbox 360 version, NOT the PC version which is substantially better, it seems.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Ok, who wants to go there and poke the shit with a stick? Me first.
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
What is this shit?

Clockwork Knight said:
You have to fight hundreds of battles to gain levels.

I can sort of understand this if it takes too long to level for the sake of taking too long, forcing you to go on auto-pilot mindless grinding. But apparently it isn't that way, right (haven't played yet)
Just a wild guess from someone with a brain (me):

As in all the previous Gothics, the player gains levels mainly by solving quests, and combat is 95% optional; avoiding most of the monsters has relatively little effect on how capable your character will be. If you do kill them, they will stay dead.

(I guess you either like that or you're an idiot.)

Night of the Raven was, for this reason and for other reasons, the best stealth / combat game I'd played.

Astromarine

Erudite
started playing this game last night, I just finished Harbour town and am preparing to head to the Monastery. Game is fucking awesome, hard as nails and easy enough to follow through and understand. I never even noticed the quest map, as I managed to complete all the quests so far without it.

All the bitching in this thread just goes to prove what I suspected, and the reason I left this fucking place. Most of the actually intelligent people in this forum have left, all that's remaining are the posing retards that get a thrill out of being all nasty and counterculture and shit but actually don't have the critical thinking and analytical skills to walk the walk.

Felix

Arcane
http://thego.com.au/gaming/game-reviews/item/root/risen

Taking a cue from Bethesda and other RPG makers, first-time German developer Piranha Bytes introduces a new franchise to the genre in the form of Risen. But unlike anything that Bethesda made in the form of Fallout 3 or Oblivion, Piranha Bytes tries everything in their power to make things that sound great on paper and make them as boring as possible, even to veteran fans of Western-style RPGs. In the process, they also deemed it appropriate to add on things that nobody cares about in gaming and cut things that people actually do care about. But more on that later.

If you need a fix of RPG that actually does the genre well, Oblivion can be downloaded onto your Aussie hard drives for much less. But if you've played through Oblivion and really enjoy these kinds of games, give it an import. Don't blame me if the government burns your house down over a second-rate game though.

Actually, I want to burn someone right now. I know Xbawk version is inferior but goddamn it.

And what the does he mean by veteran fans of Western RPG ?

Felix said:

As soon as I left the village, two of the drunken prostitute-beaters decided to give me chase until I died. Little did I know that the game has little quicksave barriers that automatically erase your progress and replaces it with the most recent one as soon as you cross it. So my corpse was flung through one of these barriers which effectively killed my entire game a few grind-happy hours into it. No chance to load from a previous spot, had to start all over from the beginning. Thanks, Piranha Bytes.

Hardcore.

Felix said:
Actually, I want to burn someone right now. I know Xbawk version is inferior but goddamn it.
I think he was playing the PC version... :evil:

Felix said:
And what the does he mean by veteran fans of Western RPG ?
People who like Fallout 3.

Mortmal

Arcane
T he xbox version is clearly inferior to the pc version, so inferior its litterally a fraud.They are waiting for a corrective patch , really a joke, you usually dont have to wait for aptch on consoles.
I can understand the bad reviews if they only play that version, you can indeed compare the graphics to a ps2 game.
I think risen reputation is completely ruined cause of this bad port, lot of people complain on forums , not to mention a xbox version cost 20 euros more than a pc version.Thats what happen when you give it to a second hand french studio speicialized in family DS games..
Off course some point of the reviews really stun me.. Too complex menu ? not enough tutorial ? I ve never had to look at the manual once, its extremely playable and i figured it all under one minute.
Those reviewer mind is so simple its easy to understand how they made their review, first hey see the graphics and dos not look further, bad graphic= bad game period.
Then they are owned by a few wolves, cause the interface and combat system is sooooo complex, mind you , you have to block turn around your opponent , wait for an opening to strike! thats so technical...so a very very bad game : 4/10

Felix

Arcane
yeah, PC....my mistake, the green color and my rage after the first paragraph :oops:

:rage:

Astromarine said:
started playing this game last night, I just finished Harbour town and am preparing to head to the Monastery. Game is fucking awesome, hard as nails and easy enough to follow through and understand. I never even noticed the quest map, as I managed to complete all the quests so far without it.

All the bitching in this thread just goes to prove what I suspected, and the reason I left this fucking place. Most of the actually intelligent people in this forum have left, all that's remaining are the posing retards that get a thrill out of being all nasty and counterculture and shit but actually don't have the critical thinking and analytical skills to walk the walk.

People posting about the idiocy of the game reviewers, and agreeing with you (the majority) that this is a good game is what made you leave the Codex?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Clockwork Knight said:
You have to fight hundreds of battles to gain levels.

I can sort of understand this if it takes too long to level for the sake of taking too long, forcing you to go on auto-pilot mindless grinding. But apparently it isn't that way, right (haven't played yet)
Just a wild guess from someone with a brain (me):

As in all the previous Gothics, the player gains levels mainly by solving quests, and combat is 95% optional; avoiding most of the monsters has relatively little effect on how capable your character will be. If you do kill them, they will stay dead.

(I guess you either like that or you're an idiot.)

Night of the Raven was, for this reason and for other reasons, the best stealth / combat game I'd played.
Aren't you supposed to be off somewhere disproving allegations that Hitler died in his bunker?

EDIT: trying to disprove.

Astromarine

Erudite
Blackadder said:
Astromarine said:

People posting about the idiocy of the game reviewers, and agreeing with you (the majority) that this is a good game is what made you leave the Codex?

Not those, the fuckwits with retarded complaints like the tutorial NPC being too generous who still manage to try and sound superior to the rabble reviewing the game.

Also, your avatar creeps me out.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Phantasmal said:
Stuttering on an 8800 even with the older drivers? That doesn't sound right. I have a 9600gt and soon as I installed the 178 drivers, the game became completely smooth. Before that I had tons of stuttering and hiccups, was giving me a headache.

Maybe you have another problem. Defragged lately? Background services? Could also try disabling depth of field or messing with the shadow settings.
the problem was the number of frames rendered ahead in nvidia control panel. setting that to 0 from the default 3 fixed a great deal of stuttering.

game is the usual buggy mess, though.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
So far, the atmosphere and factions are pretty much the best I've ever seen in a game.

Second that opinion.

Factions in terms of player interactions/dynamics or in terms of how they're presented?

Both. The presentation is on par with a few other games I consider favourites but it is the interactions with the factions and the choices that push it that step further.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Overweight Manatee said:
Felix said:

As soon as I left the village, two of the drunken prostitute-beaters decided to give me chase until I died. Little did I know that the game has little quicksave barriers that automatically erase your progress and replaces it with the most recent one as soon as you cross it. So my corpse was flung through one of these barriers which effectively killed my entire game a few grind-happy hours into it. No chance to load from a previous spot, had to start all over from the beginning. Thanks, Piranha Bytes.

I guess he doesn't know the difference between autosave and quicksave? How can anyone take a review seriously when someone doesn't understand such a simple concept? People are relying on a fuckwit like this for helping them decide purchases?

In other news- I greatly enjoy the map system in the game. When someone gives you directions you can highlight their quest in the log to see the marks they place on the map. The maps progress from watercolor finger paintings by bandits to a professional cartographer's rendition of the island.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Naked Ninja said:
Factions in terms of player interactions/dynamics or in terms of how they're presented?
Both. The presentation is on par with a few other games I consider favourites but it is the interactions with the factions and the choices that push it that step further.
Pretty much.

Ausir

Arcane
Taking a cue from Bethesda and other RPG makers, first-time German developer Piranha Bytes introduces a new franchise to the genre in the form of Risen.

Previous PB games weren't on consoles, so they don't count.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Well, on the bright side Xbox version's poor reception probably means PB won't bother with a console port again which means no dumbing down their games for the Oblivion console kiddies. Hell, it's pleasantly surprising they didn't dumb down Risen. I'd been expecting the worst but it seems to have turned out to be one of finest RPGs in quite some time.

Dammit, my copy won't arrive until Thurs. Fucking bullshit.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Well, I think that it was for the better that they handed out the game to another dev house to port it to the xbox, in that way they spared a lot of resources for the PC version. And in the event of a sequel the hazard is less that they will cater more to the console crowd.

By the way, I have my copy. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom