Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1st DX11 gaem is hear OMIGODZ!!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why then R5870 can't beat "last-gen" Nvidia's GTX295?
According to all those credible sources like Tom's Hardware, PC Hardware etc.
The thing is ATI just made a 5870 dye two times larger and placed intestines of two chips over it. Which is why it fails even to dual SLI GTX285 which have less transistors and SPUs but can do twice as much stuff per one click.

And that's ATi fighting something Nvidia released a year ago. I imagine GTX3 will kill off all ATi efforts again like it is happening for the past 3 years.

Gerrard

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1455558

The very first result in google search for "radeon 5870 gtx280"

This isn't even one of those pages I was reading before.

But of course this isn't a credible source because it's a mere mortal bitching about another ATi's failure.

I've read reviews too - f.e. Tom's Hardware one shows how 2 crossfired 5870 fail to beat 2 "last-gen" GTX285 in SLI

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6966 ... ws/?page=3

This one shows how 5870 barely wins over 285

This all is pretty strange considering that 5870 has everything doubled from 4890 (making it like having those dual core GPUs) yet it fails to beat GTX295.

Just fyi I have 3 ATi videocards, not something Nvidia fanboy would do.
Cherry picking results, you're totally not a fanboy.
But two can play that game.

http://guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/16

Whoops, looks like ATI's single core "failue" beats out nvidia's top of the line dual core card.
Not to mention it costs less AND uses a shitload less power.

The thing is ATI just made a 5870 dye two times larger and placed intestines of two chips over it. Which is why it fails even to dual SLI GTX285 which have less transistors and SPUs but can do twice as much stuff per one click.
Oh, this explains a lot. You're a moron who has no idea what he's talking about. What news!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except it fails to a year old top-of-the-line videocard in all other games.
Also 5870 is only singlecore because ATI placed twice as much stuff on one dye. Which is why it often fails to even two singlecores (which have thrice as less transistors, SPUs, bla bla as the new ATI card) of NVidia in SLI which are usually slower than GTX295 which has everything on a one chip too.

But you can be happy that ATi's videocard of the end of 2009 finally beats GTX295 from 2008 in a single game. That's some achievement considering that Nvidia has yet to release its own "DX11" card - maybe in a few years ATi finally will reach NVidia's level.

Gerrard said:
Oh, this explains a lot. You're a moron who has no idea what he's talking about. What news!
Now now don't be butthurt that it takes ATi 850 MHz core and 1600 SPUs to beat 540 MHz core and 480 SPUs in Anno 1404

Gerrard

Arcane
You totally don't sound like a mindless fanboy now.

Except it fails to a year old top-of-the-line videocard in all other games.
You probably should have looked through the other results before you made an idiot out of yourself.

Silellak

Cipher
This thread is fascinating only to see Skyway playing the role of the fanboy. Usually it's quite the opposite.

Please, continue.

[Jez]

Novice
BFG GTX295 1792MB DDR3 Single PCB Dual DVI PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card - £356.75inc vat
Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DipsplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card includes Dirt2 game voucher - £306.63inc vat

MetalCraze is correct its stupid to buy a better card at a cheaper price, anyone who disagrees is obviously wrong

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gerrard said:
You probably should have looked through the other results before you made an idiot out of yourself.

Let's look at all other results then!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad ... 433-6.html

Crysis
0xFSAA

41.6 tops
35.1 Avg

Year old "last-gen" GTX295
46.1 tops
38.6 Avg

ATI catches up only with 8x FSAA

Far Cry 2
0xFSAA

105.9 tops
98.7 Avg

Year old "last-gen" GTX295
109.3 tops
104.0 Avg

GTX295 rapes the shit out of 5870 with 10+ FPS at 8x AA here

Left4Dead
0xFSAA

Ati loses nearly 10 FPS on Avg to Nvidia last year flagship
Catches up with 8xFSAA

No seriously who is fanboy here when current ATi flagship is objectively performance-worse than last year's NVidia flagship (even though not much)?

And don't forget that "last-gen" Nvidia cards have CUDA, something ATi fails to have till this very day.

[Jez] said:
MetalCraze is correct its stupid to buy a better card at a cheaper price, anyone who disagrees is obviously wrong

I still don't see how 5870 is better when it fails to beat a year old videocard.

Mackerel

Augur
Buying a videocard should always be done on a price/performance basis unless you've got money to burn. ATI wins on that level currently.

5870.png

Of course it doesn't matter to me, as I don't have a monitor that requires a such a card.

zaero

Novice
Skyway, the gtx 295 is a dual gpu card. 5870 is comparable to 285. Otherwise, it's apples to oranges.

@skyway Every one of your arguments on why DX10 is bad can be used for DX9. Why are you running DX9? Its just a shitty marketing ploy to get you to upgrade for no reason, DX8 can do everything just as well.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And 5870 is the amount of transistors, SPUs, etc. available on 4890 - roughly speaking - multiplied by two, so? Basically the same thing as having dual GPU.

They are both single videocards in the same high-end price range - they can be compared. Just different architectures.

Overweight Manatee said:
@skyway Every one of your arguments on why DX10 is bad can be used for DX9. Why are you running DX9? Its just a shitty marketing ploy to get you to upgrade for no reason, DX8 can do everything just as well.
I've never said that DX10 is bad. I just said I don't see a point in going for a videocard that supports it when I won't see a difference. There is a huge and very noticeable difference graphically between DX8 and DX9 - you can take any DX9 (aka shaders 2.0) game supporting shaders 1.x and see for yourself. Not so with DX9 and DX10.

MetalCraze said:
Overweight Manatee said:
I've never said that DX10 is bad. I just said I don't see a point in going for a videocard that supports it when I won't see a difference. There is a huge and very noticeable difference graphically between DX8 and DX9 - you can take any DX9 (aka shaders 2.0) game supporting shaders 1.x and see for yourself. Not so with DX9 and DX10.

No, you can do nothing more with DX9 then DX8. Its just a matter of how much time you want to spend working on making it pretty. DX9 makes things alot easier. DX10 also makes many things a lot easier.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Dunno how could anyone still believe in all that retarded DX11 hype. Let's examine games that are going to support DX11:

1. BattleForge - EA online shovelware no one gives a fuck about, works fine with DX9.
2. Dirt 2 - console shit, therefore works fine with DX9.
3. AVP 3 - ugly overbloomed console shit, therefore works fine with DX9.
4. STALKER. Considering that most art assets are still from 2002-2003 era new rendering codepath won't make any noticeable difference. Works fine with DX9.
5. MMO shit from Turbine that already works with DX9.
6. Crysis 2 - considering that it is a console game, DX9 is definitely a main codepath. They'll just artifically cut several effects from DX9 version to force retardos to buy UBAR-AWESOME DX11 cards. Nothing that simple ini tweak can't handle.

Radeon 5870 itself is okay card, but what's the point of throwing money on high-end components when 99% of future titles are simple console ports. Even three years old 8800 can handle this glorious task just fine. By the time next generation of consoles arrives and DX11 becomes a standard API 5800 series will be obsolete anyway.

Multi-headed Cow

I've also got an 8800 at the moment, but my last three cards before that were ATI. Geforce had better performance for the price when I needed (Because my video card fan died god fucking damn it) to buy a new video card, so there I go.

Overall I think I like the Nvidia drivers slightly more, but not so much that I would avoid ATI if they have a faster, cheaper card next time I'm in the market to buy one. Which probably will be quite a while, the advantage of having a 17 inch monitor and a maximum resolution of 1280X1024 is it's easier to get good performance out of cheap parts.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
And that's ATi fighting something Nvidia released a year ago. I imagine GTX3 will kill off all ATi efforts again like it is happening for the past 3 years.

Which won't be out till next year, by which time AMD will have a x2 version of their card and 5890...make no mistake, nvidia's already lost this round.

Fermi has the stink of the FX series all over it.

And 5870 is the amount of transistors, SPUs, etc. available on 4890 - roughly speaking - multiplied by two, so? Basically the same thing as having dual GPU.

lol?.... You cannot be fucking serious. You clearly have down syndrome. The 295 is two GPU's stuck together, that brings a shit loads of issues. 1) you're at the mercy of drivers in a big fucking way, it's not uncommon to be left ages with games using just one gpu core efficently. 2) hot as fuck and guzzles power. 3) the big one, microstutter.

zaero

Novice
No skyway, the equivalent of gtx 295 will be the 5870x2. I'm not a fanboy or anything mind you, I just like to set the record straight.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
racofer said:
You people are the dumb.

This is shitty DX9 in all its glory, nothing else to be milked out of it:

91mn2.png

And this is DX10, from back when it was new and not used properly:

picture2ug3.png

DX10 is clearly superior and anyone who thinks otherwise should upgrade they're computers. Period.

beznazwyw.jpg

Balor

Arcane
In the name of all the Dark Gods, don't you see that skyway is trolling like he usually does?
At least I hope so, because he might be obnoxioius, but I never thought of him as stupid.

But let's even discard the limitations of two-gpu tech vs single gpu one (and 5870, for all intends and purposes, is a single-gpu device).
Let's even discards noise (not in favour of 295 again).

Read this:
ATI Radeon HD 5870 Power Consumption

5870 peak: 354 watts
5870 idle: 141 watts

295 peak: 482 watts
295 idle: 195 watts

As you see, the energy efficiency difference is pretty staggering.

Compared to 295, Radeon uses 54 watts less when idle, and 128 watts less under load.
Now let’s do a few simple calculations, based on how I utilize my computer (your mileage may vary, of course):

Since my PC is also a file and internet homeserver, I run it 7/24.
A usually game a couple of hours every day (sometimes more, sometimes less…at least it averages about that, when it comes to graphically demanding games), but on weekends I usually spend at least 4 or 5 hours gaming.

So, 7*24 – 20 = 148 hours a week of idle PC usage, and 20 hours of ‘full load’ usage.

There about 52 weeks in a year.

So, in a year, there would be 7696 hours of idle PC usage, and 1040 of ‘full load’ usage.

It means, if I’ll choose 295 over 5870, I’ll use:
7696 * 54 + 1040 * 128 = 548704 more Wh, that would amount to 549 kWh.

Now let’s see this table:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricit ... 5_6_a.html

In USA, the average price per kWh is 12 cents.
Therefore, 549 * 0,12 = 66$ spend extra on electricity. (If I lived in New York, I’d pay 110 more)

In Russia price of kWh is about 3 roubles, that mean I’ll pay extra 1647 roubles, or 55$.

And that is in a year.

As you see, compared to 295 (if you live in New York, for instance) – in a year price difference would be not be 100$ in favour of ATi, but 210, in two years – 320, until in 3,5 years you basically get it for ‘free’ compared to Geforce 295!
Anyone still wants to buy 295?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom