Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 10 RPGs you might have missed

Clockwork Knight said:
At the time it looked nice, iirc. The psx games were aqll "oh shit man look here dis is 3d man! 3d" and we didn't even care about the blocky graphics.
No, it didn't. It looked worse than the 3D in every non-RPG released the same year (1997), and it looked worse than all of the RPGs released that year, including some with 3D (Vandal Hearts, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden, and Persona were all released the same year; none featured anything as ugly as Wild Arms' combat; the only thing that came close as Saga Frontier's combat, which I guess might have been worse, but was 2D).

Zeus

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
Btw, I used the slim tiny psx to play it (and every other psx game, never owned the giant one), and it apparently was better at loading times because it was released later, so I might be biased

Ah yeah, that might be it. I know if you play with a PSX emulator or something, it loads a lot quicker (like the hypercam footage on youtube)

DriacKin

Arbiter
DreadMessiah said:
If more JRPG were more along the lines of Xenogears I would play them. Xenosaga sucked big time. Xenogears combat was fun while most JRPGs combat is really boring.

If more RPGs were more along the lines of Xenogears, I think I would consider killing myself.

Zeus

Cipher
DriacKin said:
DreadMessiah said:
If more JRPG were more along the lines of Xenogears I would play them. Xenosaga sucked big time. Xenogears combat was fun while most JRPGs combat is really boring.

If more RPGs were more along the lines of Xenogears, I think I would consider killing myself.

Hear hear!

Aerya

Novice
I read carefully this topic and to my surprise and disappointment none mentioned Planescape:Torment... in my opinion PS:T got more RP than some more recent RPGs...
and the graphics are awesome for a 2Der

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Aerya said:
I read carefully this topic and to my surprise and disappointment none mentioned Planescape:Torment
Because no way one of the Codex Holy Trinity may be missed.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Randy Yasenchak said:
In 1998, most of us in the RPG-playing world were replaying Final Fantasy VII for the 300th time, completely ignoring Aeris from our party systems because we knew she was going to die… again.

Sure I was. :roll:

Never knew who the fuck Aeris was... before hanging around here. :lol:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
10 RPGs I definitely missed and didn't know of until very recently, and wonder if many Codexers did as well:

Mines of Titan
Disciples of Steel
Lord of the Rings
Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers
Megatraveller
Four Crystals of Trazere
Keys to Mammaron
Legacy of the Ancients
Dark Designs - Grelminars Staff
Faery Tale Adventure - Halls of the Dead

I am guessing only obsessive gamers like Andhaira would know of these games.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Started coming across this stuff whilst digging deep inside the back of the Abandonia database, because I was already used to the ones that come at the front of listing by "Most Popular" criterion.

cazsim83

Novice
There was a Lord of the Rings game for SNES that was difficult to get into, but was pretty satisfying when you beat it. I wish they would've made a sequel, though. I'm sure a lot of people would have been turned off from it, though.

draexem

Novice
How Final Fantasy made it onto a list of RPGS you might have missed boggles the mind. Especially FF XII. It was released like 2 years ago and is a Final Fantasy game. You might hate this game like poison but how the hell would you have missed it?

draexem said:
How Final Fantasy made it onto a list of RPGS you might have missed boggles the mind. Especially FF XII. It was released like 2 years ago and is a Final Fantasy game. You might hate this game like poison but how the hell would you have missed it?

We have professional game journalists that act like anything before the PS2 era is ancient, obscure, and probably has a copy buried alongside Moses. Crap from a random gaming site is a big surprise? They probably started RPGing with FF7 at the earliest. The ones that did are considered 'old-school'.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Xenosaga was awesome. No C&C, but tons of character development and loooong cutscenes. It brought me joy to know it angered so many.

Zeus

Cipher
mondblut said:
Emotional Vampire said:
When did brainless dungeon crawlers became RPGs?

Since Gygax and Arneson penned down 1ed D&D.

Haha, no shit. Originally, D&D didn't even have rules for what goes on above ground. All the wilderness and sailing and stronghold building rules were released in later supplements.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I just searched the Xenosaga bullshit (thank you Codex). Wtf is up with the titles? Seriously, what is this shit? Wtf is going on guys?

nietzsche.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom