Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

M.A.X.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Oh god I love this piece of shit from the time when Interplay was still good. Why haven't I heard about this game before? No I mean I understand that it came out at the same time WarCraft 2 and Red Alert 1 did so it never had a chance and was very obscure, especially due to its great complexity (f.e. to resupply some unit with ammo and the supply truck is empty you must move it close to one of the base buildings - take materials from there - drive to a unit and rearm it - same with repair bots - and somehow it isn't annoying) and turn-based gameplay which is very tactical and fun but still.
The game is indeed very complex - you can upgrade 8 parameters of each type of the unit, there are lots of variables when it comes to them - like how far they can see, how much armor they have and how many hits they can take, how far the can move, how much ammo they can carry etc. MAX also forces you to use all units so there is no crappy situation like with your typical strategy where units become obsolete - like f.e. all your ground vehicles can see only at close distances (but shoot much further) apart from 2 units one of which is a radar unit which can't move far but sees far and can help pinpoint targets for all other vehicles and a scout unit which can see far and move very far (making it very good for pinpointing too) - it's also armed so it makes it a great unit for harassing enemy unarmed vehicles (workers/suppliers etc) and immediately pull it back after it damaged/destroyed them. Add to that that there are also marine and airborne units and each has unique role. And then there are infiltrators which can steal/disable enemy vehicles and disable his defence structures. They can also find mines (yes you can use mines in the game too) and you can see that tactical possibilities are countless.
The game also has one of the best AIs I've ever seen. The bitch will use every single hole in your defence to harass and kill your unprotected units - and it annoys the shit out of me (of course only my fault here) - AI also will never blindly rush your defences and die - in fact it will avoid them through various holes in their visibility or at places where they don't see it and rape your units in the ass. Like f.e. knowing that I can shoot only twice at his plane (bombers take 3 hits from AA cannons by default to go down and two from interceptors) he flies right to my units, gets hit twice - takes out my engineer unit and the thing it was building - and flies away for repairs. With more direct combat AI sometimes sends his scouts to die so I will run out of shots I can make at his main strike force - and then attacks my helpless units with all his shit. And yeah he loves to harass you with scouts too. Other example of pretty good AI is how he was trying to avoid getting in range of my mobile AA units with his AVACS plane at my base while gathering all info he could get up until I've managed to corner him (which did took some time) - yes unlike in other games AI doesn't know where you are or what do you have at your base so it scouts all logical places on the map first and then attacks in a way which depends on what he found at your base.
Not only that but each destroyed unit leaves remnants which you can the gather with bulldozers and recycle into resources (AI does the same). There are three types of resources (raw materials - for building/repairs/ammo, fuel - for making factories and generators work and gold for buying upgrades and doing research) and they don't lie around on top of the surface like in your typical strategies - you must use survey units to find them first and then build mines there. Resources are being stored in special storages so you must connect them to your mines with pipes (or build next to them) - resources do not go into some obscure place where you have some total number of them so if f.e. you have Mine 1 here and Mine 2 there with a factory connected to it but no connection between the mines - factory can only use resources from Mine 2 - so you must either use pipes which is better (but enemy can take them out so defences are important) or transfer them between bases using supply units which is a pain in the butt.
The game is very complex and it does take time to learn it - and btw your favorite tank rushes will never work out here, especially when the game puts attacker into worse situation than defender (if enemy units have some shots to make and you attack them - they shoot first and your unit only afterwards - so combat requires special approach and certain amount of thoughts put into it)

No seriously I laugh at your fucking next-gen. A 13 years old game has better AI and more tactical abilities than any piece of shit strategy coming out today - or probably I just have some o' those 'unrealistic standards'.

M.A.X. also looks very good (and yes you can move camera closer or further - and scaling is very smooth) - gives me some of that Dune 2 nostalgia:

10qklts.jpg

i5ytsm.jpg

jl7539.jpg

A game with great depth, but does require some time put into learning of it.

L'ennui

Magister
I think GOG has this in stock. I wanted to try it when I didn't remove it from inventory via some abandonware site a while ago but it wouldn't work properly with XP and I didn't feel like working it out. Looks like it could have been worth the hassle! Does it have multiplayer?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes.
Use DosBox for playing it (online too). It works fine under XP however you must tweak it a bit:

- make sure you have 1.04 patch installed
- set RAM to ~64 MBs
- set CPU cycles to MAX if you have slowdowns
- don't use hq filters - if FPS becomes low just use normal3x filter
- There is no way to avoid sound stuttering under XP (at least internet says so) - just turn off music but leave everything else intact, pump up some of your own tracks and enjoy

I'm using DosBox 0.72 as there are quite enough posts about 0.73 being buggy

L'ennui

Magister
NEWSFLASH FROM THE FRONT:

Codexers need to jump on this, ASAP.

Best strategy game I've played in a loooooong while. I'll play a few more skirmishes and then I'd be up for multiplayer, if anyone else is interested.

Also, the version from GOG.com runs perfectly without any tweaking, it already comes with it's own DOSbox setup, you just click MAX.exe and it runs fine.

In closing: Aerial superiority is a bitch (for the enemy, so far, though I haven't tried anything beyond the easy difficulty level, just screwing around with the game.)

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm playing it on expert and getting my ass handed to me very badly. But there is no point in playing it easier - if you read descriptions they basically say that on lower difficulties many AI scripts are disabled. But it's fun playing against AI too - unlike in many many other strategy games.

Also read in-game tips - they do help.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
I used to love playing this back in Win98 but could never get it going in DosBox. It would load but was too choppy to be any fun. I'll have to try those settings and see if I can get the thing working.

It always felt like a chess game to me with how the units interact. You really had to position for combinations defensively and offensively or you were cooked. And yeah, it is pretty tough. I always get hammered by the scouts targeting for artillery. It's pretty merciless.

The sequel dropped the ball, naturally.

z3r'0'

Liturgist
This sounds like an awesome game. Do I remove from inventory?

Clarification: Where should I look to get this? GoG is good and all, but atm I'm not able to purchase online from that region.

BTW. Thanks for the heads-up, Skyway.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
[url=http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/m_a_x_m_a_x_2:guy9m5lv]GoG.com[/url] said:
You can play as one of eight different factions with different advantages for each one.
What sort of advantages? How different are they from each other?

I was browsing GoG last night and looked at M.A.X., and it looked very interesting - this thread confirmed that notion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They aren't different visually (only in terms of colour and clan logo on mines) but they differ in bonuses. One clan can have better infiltrator units (there is actually a percentage of success every time you try to steal a unit or disable a weapon - from what I saw they can easily steal main battle tanks without ever being detected - not so with other units which will force enemy to use something else than tanks - and tanks are very important, add to that that they can successfully disable defences for more turns), the other clan can have bonuses to research meaning that it will have better technologies, another clan can have better air units (and it makes perfect sense that you or your enemy will mostly use them because it will be the only advantage and it will require the opponent to think more about air defence), another can have much much stronger defences meaning that any rush will be suicidal so you'll have to fight it in some other way - basically their main difference is in stats which can make for a different experience when fighting each one and each clan has something superior that other clan doesn't so it's all pretty balanced. You can also customize 8 stats of any unit so in the late game armies will be pretty different - and also because there are no worse/better units, each has an unique application - much like in chess.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Do the units carry over from mission to mission
The AI looks very impressive, but does it cheat
How is the interface, with keyboard mappings and not overwhelming in overall control

(sorry my question mark key is busted...)

Monolith

Prophet
Played it for the first time shortly after its release but somehow lost the copy I had. I actually don't remember much apart from the fact that I loved it and whenever I see a screenshot I get this strange fuzzy feeling in my stomach and feel a strong craving. I was quite young back then. It always surprises me how easily I grasped seemingly complex games then, as an 11-years old. Probably due to the gigantic amount of time I could put into gaming.

MetalCraze said:
Yes.
Use DosBox for playing it (online too). It works fine under XP however you must tweak it a bit:

- make sure you have 1.04 patch installed
- set RAM to ~64 MBs
- set CPU cycles to MAX if you have slowdowns
- don't use hq filters - if FPS becomes low just use normal3x filter
- There is no way to avoid sound stuttering under XP (at least internet says so) - just turn off music but leave everything else intact, pump up some of your own tracks and enjoy

I'm using DosBox 0.72 as there are quite enough posts about 0.73 being buggy

Are you using/autodetecting gravis ultrasound? Support for that is pretty spotty whenever I have used it. Switching over to soundblaster pro gives me no stuttering or crackling of sound.

As far as learning to play, I've found it very helpful to start a custom game with 2 AI's (no player controlled side) and just watch how they operate.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Pegultagol said:
Do the units carry over from mission to mission
Nah - campaign is much like those 20-something custom singleplayer missions that come with the game - just a random collection of maps. However it teaches you to think and use quite a few new tricks and it's very challenging at times. There are also skirmishes which play like your typical strategy - build base, kill everyone.

The AI looks very impressive, but does it cheat
Only at the two latter difficulties - the game even warns you of it when you select them. On Expert however it plays like it can.

How is the interface, with keyboard mappings and not overwhelming in overall control
It's pretty comfortable - you don't really need any keyboard mappings - when you double-click on a unit its context menu appears where you can select one of its special actions (the same with buildings) - however if you just select it and place the cursor over something and click it will do the default action depending on where you clicked (tank will fire or move, infiltrator will move or disable). Use right-click to select enemy units to f.e. check their range and double-right-click to get more info on this type of a unit. There is a menu to the left which lets you turn on/turn off the data you get from the map (f.e. colour rectangles to help you distinguish units or map grid)

I always admired MAX as being one of these games which just show superior craftsmanship. I just can't point out a single thing in it that I could honestly say could be done better.

Oh wait. The campaign had turn limit, didn't it?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Holy crap, I read about that game but never came around to play it, partly because I thought that it was just another of those upcoming RTS.

Now that I play it .. it's a turnbased dream come true :)

L'ennui

Magister
Yes, the sequel came included in the bundle I bought. I gave it a whirl, almost puked (what an ugly, ugly, UGLY UGLY UGLY game! Usually sequels rape gameplay rather than aesthetics, but alas this is mostly the same game (I didn't play enough to see gameplay variations) but with fugly semi-3d graphics. Even the interface is vomit-worthy. Yuck.) and went back to the oh-so-savoured original.

denizsi

Arcane
Mechanized Assault and eXploration Reloaded - open-source remake that uses original game files. Don't know if its any good.

The team realized early that the resinstaller was nice indeed but only players with the original CD could be reached that way. A game that requires a no longer distributed CD - means no way to obtain a legal copy nowadays - was pretty useless. As a conclusion the creation of a free graphics set started in 2008 and shipped today M.A.X.R. can be played as standalone too.

03.jpg

05.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

Looks like I won't need to shell that $5 either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom