Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Same-Sex Relationships in DA

Warden

Arbiter
Azrael the cat said:
My only complaint from what I've seen is the same as with the rest of their romance writing - Gaiderised - horribly cliched writing that resembles no relationship I've ever seen or been in (and as a married guy who has (pre-marriage, obviously) dated both genders, I've seen a fair variety)

*Hugs Azrael a bit*

azrael.png

ugh...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Aditya said:
The trolling of some lesser than great troll.

A) Since when has anyone been closeted in here?

B) Way to misunderstand the point, as poocolator pointed out

C) Fox never apologised for their wilful lying. Who gives a shit about some 2cent self-help "author" when the cable channel which aired her "criticism" marches on?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
GarfunkeL said:
C) Fox never apologised for their wilful lying. Who gives a shit about some 2cent self-help "author" when the cable channel which aired her "criticism" marches on?

Well... yeah, that's pretty much how they operate. You can debunk a lot of what they say, but, by the time you do so, they've already moved on to spouting off in willful stupidity about something else.

kris

Arcane
I am kind of confused as to why they would include two gay relationships in a game when that would be for a less than 3% demographics. And women ain't as interested in gay sex as men is in lesbian one. They could very well say it fits their setting well, I have nothing against it, just is very curious as to the reasons they include it (and with two options).

Multi-headed Cow

Women who play Bioware RPGs are more interested in gay sex than men who play Bioware RPGs are interested in lesbian sex.

Data4

Arcane
kris said:
I am kind of confused as to why they would include two gay relationships in a game when that would be for a less than 3% demographics. And women ain't as interested in gay sex as men is in lesbian one. They could very well say it fits their setting well, I have nothing against it, just is very curious as to the reasons they include it (and with two options).

You said it better than I implied. Progressive? I guess, but for who? The gay demographic is nothing. Of course, I'm of the opinion that any sort of romance other than playful flirting (read: interesting bits of story) in a game is pandering to the pathetic. Sex in movies is one thing-- the audience is passive and anything to spice up the passive experience is good. A game is active. Engage the player with gameplay, not fabulous hot coffee. Sheesh...

kris said:
I am kind of confused as to why they would include two gay relationships in a game when that would be for a less than 3% demographics.

I am kind of confused as to why EU introduces lower and lower CO2 car emission standards every year when humans produce only 3% of global CO2 and cars produce 3% of that.

kris said:

Women, maybe. Girls, on the other hand...

also the hundreds of str8 kids that will totally play a gay guy just for the lulz, not because they're "curious", no. And they will be sure to tell random people on forums about their totally straight experience with a gay character and how it was funny and they laughed and hugged their friends in a 100% no-homo way.

Bio may make lulsy games, but they sure as fuck know their audience

kris

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
kris said:
I am kind of confused as to why they would include two gay relationships in a game when that would be for a less than 3% demographics.

I am kind of confused as to why EU introduces lower and lower CO2 car emission standards every year when humans produce only 3% of global CO2 and cars produce 3% of that.

I have an answer for that my friend. It is because politicians are morons and media is worse.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Emotional Vampire said:
kris said:

I call bullshit, you provide proof, or you make some clever joke about me to avoid the confrontation.

Your call :)

Carceri

Arcane
kris said:

What, are you kidding me? Gay is the new straight!

Clockwork Knight said:
kris said:

Women, maybe. Girls, on the other hand...

also the hundreds of str8 kids that will totally play a gay guy just for the lulz, not because they're "curious", no. And they will be sure to tell random people on forums about their totally straight experience with a gay character and how it was funny and they laughed and hugged their friends in a 100% no-homo way.

Exactly, if I bought this game it would be the first thing I'd do. But I probably won't buy the game because it looks boring as fuck.

kris

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:

Either the place where you live is considerably different from my homeground or you just made this up.

aries202

Erudite
First of all, you can avoid the romances and the sex scenes alltogether - if you want. Including, but not limited to - gay romance option.

As the player character, you can romance Zevran when you're playing man, and also when you're playing a woman. You can also romance Morrigan or Lelilana, playing as both a man or a woman.

Such is the nature of Bioware's romances this time around. Whether or not they're poorly written, I can't judge; I haven't played the game yet.

As for Bioware and DA: Origins making anyone gay (as in homosexual), the parents who buy this game for their 15-18 year old, had it coming to tjhem ;) :D

I don't believe for a moment that games can make anyone gay or straight; the audience for this games is also intended to be of the M+ or the 18+ variety...

Texas Red

Whiner
Who the hell romances anyway? Have you ever wanted to romance someone instead of just screwing her? Especially when every inn has wenches?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
RPGs really shouldn't have "romances". But if they do, Bioware seems to have chosen a poor way to handle them.

Sure, it may be less work to make the majority of your romance-able NPCs bisexual, but it also makes them seem kind of desperate and pathetic, because they'll fuck anything that moves, even a flannel wearing female fighter with a charisma of 3.

Bisexual NPCs should the exception not the norm, and NPCs should have high standards, otherwise you lose respect for them. Generally speaking, NPCs tend to be good looking, in shape, and have high stats, so they're too good for most people, and should act accordingly.

Overall though, when I think of my favorite NPCs from past games, it really would not have increased my appreciation of them for them to proposition my fighters, Panzer and Chainsaw, to go out back for some man on man action. (especially since the PCs in question probably had 3 charisma and 3 int)

Zomg

Arbiter
Multi-headed Cow said:
Women who play Bioware RPGs are more interested in gay sex than men who play Bioware RPGs are interested in lesbian sex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom