Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

baronjohn

Cipher
Just quickly

Graphics: Very console-ish uninspired graphics. Anything clickable glitters, the terrain is barren and the characters looked vaguely retarded. They're not as bad as Oblivion or Fallout 3 though. The camera is OK. The blood is absolutely hilarious, and not present if you fight in your cameltoe undies. BG2 looks way better, sorry.

Gameplay: ruined by the auto-ressurection and auto-heal and auto-mana regenerate after each encounter. At one point everyone but my dog (I named him skyway) died, I ran forward through several rooms of enemies (because, your dog can open doors) until I finally stumbled upon a safe point when my whole party was restored right there and an animated sequence played. The character portrait actually changes to a fucking decaying skull when you're dropped, implying to anyone with a brain that that character is dead and won't just stand up and heal in ten seconds. What the fuck?

Writing, story: Jesus fucking christ, it's like you took a bunch of dumbass celebrities and put them on an island with castles and orcs and shit. I swear to god I've never cringed so much in my life. Will Bioware buy me a new ESC key? Because I think I'm gonna use mine up if I decide to continue.

Difficulty: Occasionally you have to gulp a potion or something.

TL;DR this shit is what OFPDR is to OFP

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Aside from "camera is ok" I think you just wrote my blind review for me.

How are the quests? Are they dark and gritty and full of c&c?

relootz

Scholar
:( another RPG disappointment. If only it were Baldur's Gate 3.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
baronjohn said:
Graphics: Very console-ish uninspired graphics. Anything clickable glitters, the terrain is barren and the characters looked vaguely retarded. They're not as bad as Oblivion or Fallout 3 though. The camera is OK. The blood is absolutely hilarious, and not present if you fight in your cameltoe undies. BG2 looks way better, sorry.

Gameplay: ruined by the auto-ressurection and auto-heal and auto-mana regenerate after each encounter. At one point everyone but my dog (I named him skyway) died, I ran forward through several rooms of enemies (because, your dog can open doors) until I finally stumbled upon a safe point when my whole party was restored right there and an animated sequence played. The character portrait actually changes to a fucking decaying skull when you're dropped, implying to anyone with a brain that that character is dead and won't just stand up and heal in ten seconds. What the fuck?

Writing, story: Jesus fucking christ, it's like you took a bunch of dumbass celebrities and put them on an island with castles and orcs and shit. I swear to god I've never cringed so much in my life. Will Bioware buy me a new ESC key? Because I think I'm gonna use mine up if I decide to continue.
No way, really?

baronjohn

Cipher
I'm playing on normal. Haven't seen any C&C so far. I've been really mean to people and the worst I've gotten is amused responses along "OH, really?"

Twice though I've had the option to just slaughter unimportant NPCs I was talking to, which made me laugh.

I forgot to add. There are lots and lots of invisible barriers.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Those are pretty vague and half-assed impressions. Doesn't tell us anything about the game other than the obvious shit we've already learned from the game's trailers. Weak.

citizenx

Novice
baronjohn said:
Just quickly...

Graphics: Very console-ish uninspired graphics....

Gameplay: ruined by...

Writing, story: Jesus fucking christ....

Will Bioware buy me a new ESC key? Because I think I'm gonna use mine up if I decide to continue....

Difficulty: Occasionally you have to gulp a potion or something...

Hanging on every credible word you utter.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Okay, it magically appeared on my HD and I'm installing it. Going to get something to eat and will then try it out and give some first impressions. Any particular character origins you people want to hear about?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Trash said:
Okay, it magically appeared on my HD and I'm installing it. Going to get something to eat and will then try it out and give some first impressions. Any particular character origins you people want to hear about?
Female city elf. The one with human noble Rance wannabe trying to take your char's virginity before her husband. Make her exceptionally ugly for extra lulz.

Warden

Arbiter
Trash said:

Damn you. :( I started downloading yesterday from megaupload/rapidshare and this will never end without a premium account. :((

I knew I should have waited for a torrent (and there was none at that time)!

Saxon1974

Prophet
I wonder how long until some modder will remove the "auto-ressurection and auto-heal" portion of the game. I think that will be the part I hate the most.

And is there an option to turn off the excessive blood? Not because Im squeemish but because its retarded.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Trash said:

will you play a mage? i'd like to hear about the magic system/spells etc and how it works in combat

Black

Arcane
relootz said:
:( another RPG disappointment. If only it were Baldur's Gate 3.
Yes, because the BG series is a pinnacle of RPGs :(

I couldn't stand BG series a decade ago, just after finishing Fallout 2 and PST, but now, after finishing Masseffect and NWN2 and the like, well, at least the BG series offers gameplay.

I can't imagine what trying DA, ME2 and what was that spy rpg, Zero Mission or something, will do to my standards. It's not even like there's nothing else to play, so there's not really any other reason to try them other than seeing how far the RPG industry has declined this time. Damn, I wish I had curiosity for less stupid, less painful things.

EDIT : Well, auto-regenerate everything isn't really that different to NWN2 and unlimited resting everywhere, and we all know how challenging that made the game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess I won't waste my time on DA, then. It's too bad, really, I was looking forward to having something to do this week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom