Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
Yadayadayada a lot of sensible stuff

Aw, man. I thought you were of the opposite opinion, and we could have gotten a really fun wrestling match outta this. Damn.

Eh, we agree. Shall we get married, now? :oops:

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
goty

game of the year, undoubtedly. give me a better example if i`m mistaking? funny is that they lunched it this year and not in 2010, its all about money i presume.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
draexem said:
Like I said before, you'd have glimpses, but there's over 800 000 words spoken during the game (not to mention more of the written variety). Saying you have a good grasp of the dialogue throughout the game based on a couple of videos is just funny and sad.

The videos are about important events between major characters. They are shitty. Do I somehow need to expect that every minor character has awesome lines? That only the dialog show on video is shitty and the rest is great? Cause that's what you are claiming.

draexem said:
Yes, linearity IN THE MAIN QUEST does go like that, but a linear main quest does not a linear game make.

So what? Main quest is the one you are spending most of your time while you play the game. Or am I supposed to start LARPing like in Oblivion?

draexem said:
Now you're not even talking about gameplay anymore, you're judging purely off character creation/progression. Usually people call this being very nit-picky but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here.

What? Of course I'm talking about gameplay! The character creator had a skill window WHERE YOU COULD SEE EVERY SKILL/SPELL THAT'S IN THE GAME! Except for War Dog specialty (haha). It was light and not impressive at all.

draexem said:
And I still haven't got anything from you about the combat system, and I don't expect to either. Everything I've heard from people who have actually played the game is that combat is good on PCs (not so much on consoles). I'd like to hear how you'd consider combat to be lite when compared to previous games. It should be especially interesting to hear considering you've never played said game.

Combat has been shown in videos and already commented here by the folks who've played it. A) It's realtime, B) You need to drink healing potions, C) It doesn't even reach BG-level in complexity - and that's not very high level.

draexem said:
:lol: This coming from someone who raised an argument based upon the theory that the future is easily predictable by studying the events of the past, because nothing ever changes and the past is set to repeat itself for ever and for ever because you said so. A theory that’s about as retarded as you can get.

Logical fallacy there, buddy. By your logic repeat-offenders should not get any harsher sentences than first timers. Human behaviour is not the same thing as natural phenomenon. Every Biogame after MDK2 has been made with same general design and the changes have been to the worse, game after game after game. Now, knowing that AND knowing what we know about DA:O now, it is very logical to expect it to be a shitty game.

draexem

Novice
racofer said:
Again, you have not.

Then you can't read.

racofer said:
So delaying quests makes it non-linear? Even though those quests are still completely linear, to the point where they nearly complete themselves for you as in Oblivion?

Again you're mistaking the idea of linear quests with a linear game. A game may have a linear main quest and linear side quests while still being a non-linear game.

racofer said:
Yet every quest needs to be completed in order to unlock the next one, regarding the storyline, thus, linear.

Yes, again a linear main quest. You don't need to stay on a specific path throughout the entire game though, which is why the game is non-linear.

racofer said:
And what higher purpose does DA tries to achieve that the previous games have not?

The fact that Dragon Age was designed to be a game along the same lines of Baldur's Gate their previous 3 have not make designing arguments about DA based on Biowares previous 4 or 5 games a little silly.

racofer said:
Please, don't be such a cry baby.

:lol:

draexem

Novice
GarfunkeL said:
The videos are about important events between major characters. They are shitty. Do I somehow need to expect that every minor character has awesome lines? That only the dialog show on video is shitty and the rest is great? Cause that's what you are claiming.

The videos show snippets from important events between major characters taken out of context. Yes, I have flipped through plenty of novels, read paragraphs and scenes from the "important events" of the novel (like the last chapter), thought this is real shitty, only to come back years later and find the book to be quite decent. I have said it before, you can't judge the dialogue in the game watching only the videos, and seeing a screenshot here or there. Play the game, then come back and say the dialogue is shitty.

GarfunkeL said:
What? Of course I'm talking about gameplay! The character creator had a skill window WHERE YOU COULD SEE EVERY SKILL/SPELL THAT'S IN THE GAME! Except for War Dog specialty (haha). It was light and not impressive at all.

You are talking about character creation, gameplay is how they use this in the game.

GarfunkeL said:
Combat has been shown in videos and already commented here by the folks who've played it. A) It's realtime, B) You need to drink healing potions, C) It doesn't even reach BG-level in complexity - and that's not very high level.

A) You don't like it cause it's real time? :lol: You're not going to be enjoying very many western RPGs in the future.
B) Very very minor point
C) Vague point that hides your unfamiliarity with the game. I'd like to know why it doesn't reach BG level complexity.

GarfunkeL said:
Logical fallacy there, buddy. By your logic repeat-offenders should not get any harsher sentences than first timers.

Nope, try again.

GarfunkeL said:
Human behaviour is not the same thing as natural phenomenon. Every Biogame after MDK2 has been made with same general design and the changes have been to the worse, game after game after game. Now, knowing that AND knowing what we know about DA:O now, it is very logical to expect it to be a shitty game.

:lol:

One of the very many major flaws in your argument is the idea that these games were made with the same general design. The design and design intent has changed from game to game which makes using past games to deride DA a pretty stupid thing to do.

Generally you've made good points as to why you don't like Bioware, very little on why you don't like DA though.

But then you can't because you haven't played the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
GarfunkeL said:
Grunker said:
GarfunkeL said:
Please, please, please tell me what those games are!

Planescape: Torment?

Yes. More please.

First though, a quick summarization:

We are coming up with these examples, because we are discussing whether non-linearity is a definitive quality; that is, "is it strictly better than linearity?" is the question. I argue it is a matter of taste. You argue non-linearity is better. For some reason, we both think that his discussion will end based on a totally idiotic method: coming up with the few games we both think are great and checking for linearity/non-linearity.

*cough* anyway, let's get this show on the road:

We know of one game that achieved greatness with non-linearity (fallout) and one that did without it (Torment).

Why exactly is the burden of evidence on me? You're the one claiming non-linearity is such a plus, you prove it!

Anyways. I speculate you'll just see the above as some way for me to chicken out of a nutkicking contest already begun, so without further ado:

Planescape: Torment
Grim Fandango
Bloodlines
Deus Ex

And I'm inclined to mention Portal, just because it's the most linear of them, and I think I'd get some rage-points outta you. But I'm not gonna, since we ain't talking about fun, but about context.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Then you can't read.
Saying that doesn't change the fact you still have not written why your belief is spot on.

Again you're mistaking the idea of linear quests with a linear game.
No I'm not. Free roaming and non-linear games are completely different beasts.
A game may have a linear main quest and linear side quests while still being a linear game.
Thank you for finally accepting it.

Yes, again a linear main quest. You don't need to stay on a specific path throughout the entire game though, which is why the game is non-linear.
No, that's free roaming. A non-linear game would allow you to jump right to the last quest and kill/rape/join/bribe the bad guy/girl/itz. In DA you cannot, for you have to progress linearly towards the culminating point.

The fact that Dragon Age was designed to be a game along the same lines of Baldur's Gate
Which is a completely linear game, thank you.

Good. Replying with smileys make you a distinct poster, worthy of renown.

draexem

Novice
racofer said:
Saying that doesn't change the fact you still have not written why your belief is spot on.

I already have, if you want to answer my first post without reading my first post, not my problem.

racofer said:
Thank you for finally accepting it.

Typo that's been fixed.

racofer said:
No, that's free roaming. A non-linear game would allow you to jump right to the last quest and kill/rape/join/bribe the bad guy/girl/itz. In DA you cannot, for you have to progress linearly towards the culminating point.

Free-roaming can be an example of non-linearity in games because it may allow you to deviate from a set path. You are still confusing non-linearity in the main quest (option in the main quest) to non-linearity in the game proper.

racofer said:
Which is a completely linear game, thank you.

No it's not. You don't have to follow a set path through the game, although I admit you need to follow a set path through the main quest. Thus linearity in the main quest but not in the game.

racofer said:
Good. Replying with smileys make you a distinct poster, worthy of renown.

And your replies that contain nothing but sarcasm do the same for you.

Mantiis

Cipher
Biggest annoyances so far:

1. Humans only have one background, I guess I'll need to play an elf
2. Face creation is somewhat annoying - presets to the rescue.
3. I am retarded and can't find the game manual in the steam version - right click the game in the steam list maybe? (@ work atm so can't test). Since I know nothing about this new system it is hard to figure out a build. :statwhore:
4. The downloadable content isn't downloaded with the dam game if you bought the uber version so you have to download it separately.
5. Fuck you and your fucking level scaling.

Need to play some more to see how C&C it is.

@racofer: You are doing a very bad impersonation of Skyway right now. Your Kodex Kool Kreds have been added to your profile (+1) so feel free to STFU and stick to GD. You annoying cunt.

Let this thread be about people who have actually played the game so a decent discussion about a computer rpg can occur for the first time in two odd years.

racofer

Thread Incliner
draexem said:
I already have, if you want to answer my first post without reading my first post, not my problem.
Again, saying that doesn't makes an answer magically appear. You still haven't said why.

Typo that's been fixed.
No typo. You just made a mistake on your trolling, or your subconscious is telling you something.

Free-roaming can be an example of non-linearity in games because it may allow you to deviate from a set path.
Yet the set path is still there, awaiting for you to come back. Also next thing we know, you will be calling GTA:SA non-linear instead of free roaming using that logic of yours.

You are still confusing non-linearity in the main quest (option in the main quest) to non-linearity in the game proper.
Nope. I've already proven you wrong over and over on this matter but you insist on living in denia. Either put up arguments to prove me wrong or shut up.

No it's not. You don't have to follow a set path through the game, although I admit you need to follow a set path through the main quest. Thus linearity in the main quest but not in the game.
See all the examples above.

And your replies that contain nothing but sarcasm do the same for you.
I've proven my points in each case and in not a single moment have you presented any logical argumentation to prove me wrong. All you've been doing is a constant influx of butthurt fanboy ranting, and it's getting really boring to bother talking with someone with such limited mental capabilities such as yourself.

Syraxis

Novice
screenshot2009110321231.jpg

Five years in the making :smug:

draexem

Novice
racofer said:
Again, saying that doesn't makes an answer magically appear. You still haven't said why.

If you can't read my first post, not my problem

racofer said:
No typo. You just made a mistake on your trolling, or your subconscious is telling you something.

Schoolyard response.

racofer said:
Yet the set path is still there, awaiting for you to come back.

If the set path doesn't run through the entire game, then the game itself is not linear. The set path runs only through the main quest.

racofer said:
Also next thing we know, you will be calling GTA:SA non-linear instead of free roaming using that logic of yours.

Never played it. People have been telling me I should. I avoid those people.

racofer said:
Nope. I've already proven you wrong over and over on this matter but you insist on living in denia. Either put up arguments to prove me wrong or shut up.

Schoolyard response.

racofer said:
I've proven my points in each case and in not a single moment have you presented any logical argumentation to prove me wrong. .
People who go around stating loudly for everyone to hear that they've proven something rarely have.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Mantiis said:
@racofer: You are doing a very bad impersonation of Skyway right now. Your Kodex Kool Kreds have been added to your profile (+1) so feel free to STFU and stick to GD. You annoying cunt.

I do not impersonate anyone but myself. Also, talking about lack of personality, you seem eager to compare any criticism to hate speech and tag people who does not agree with your point of view as skyway wannabes. Desperately trying to achieve some kodex kool kredits among the skyway haters bandwagon?

But whatever, do what makes you happy.

racofer

Thread Incliner
draexem said:
If you can't read my first post, not my problem
Agreed. I cannot read what does not exist. I would like to know though, what wisdom does that imaginary argument of yours holds that disproves my initial question?

Schoolyard response.
Yes right, trying desperately to avoid the discussion at hand won't make you sound any smarter.

If the set path doesn't run through the entire game, then the game itself is not linear. The set path runs only through the main quest.
Which is crucial to finishing the game or progressing any further into it.

Schoolyard response.
That again? You seem desperately trying to avoid me now, please at least try to put up some argumentation to backup your points instead of spilling the same lines over and over again like someone who suffers from severe dementia.

People who go around stating loudly for everyone to hear that they've proven something rarely have.
Schoolyard response.

draexem

Novice
racofer said:
Agreed. I cannot read what does not exist. I would like to know though, what wisdom does that imaginary argument of yours holds that disproves my initial question?

My first post does in fact exist and therefore it is possible to read it.

racofer said:
Yes right, trying desperately to avoid the discussion at hand won't make you sound any smarter.

There was no discussion at hand, just you trying and failing to make a smart arse reply.

racofer said:
Which is crucial to finishing the game or progressing any further into it.

But does not encompass the game as a whole. No matter how crucial the main quest is to a game, it is not the entire game. Therefore a linear main quest in no way means a linear game.

racofer said:
That again? You seem desperately trying to avoid me now, please at least try to put up some argumentation to backup your points instead of spilling the same lines over and over again like someone who suffers from severe dementia.

Again a nothing response where you don't say anything except trying to sound tough and or smart. Thus school boy response. This is not a playground, the Codex used to be better than this.

racofer said:
Schoolyard response.

It seemed appropriate, considering my conversation partner. It's also very true, and is something for you to consider.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
- the setting isn't original, which is a shame
- it's been a long time in development, which is good
- Dave Gaider posted a lot of interesting things about the game, which raised my interest significantly

I am somewhat disappointed that in 2000/2001 I was a small lad typing away on BioWares forum. Wonderful fictitious stories and storylines of TideFighters (later Time Lords) battling Undead (Blackspawn), stone golem's who had the power to absorb undead souls, (Resident Medieval, the Golem known as Stonegrin Rocktop) . All of these writings went on into my high school years, landing me in college-level writing classes.

And here we are today - my original papers and writings long lost, however, the same companies forums where I'd copied these writings now has a million-dollar franchise. They even went so far as to voice one of the main villains in the likeness to Kain the Vampire from Blood Omen. Or perhaps that could very well be Simon Templeman himself?

Vault Dweller said:
- the marketing campaign was idiotic, but it has little to do with the actual game

The ONLY thing the marketing campaign had to do with the game was that both DA:O and music video for "This Is The New Shit" have gratuitous amounts of blood, gore, and sex.

Vault Dweller said:
- a lot of evidence suggests that the combat is actually challenging and tactics will be required

It's like playing WoW only players have full control of the party members.

Vault Dweller said:
- it's a Bioware game, so flavor-only dialogue options are expected and bitching about them is silly. It's whether or not the game has only flavor options that counts.
- I didn't read every preview/interview, but what I did read didn't contain any obvious "bad design" clues, which is a good sign.

Actually in the Soldier's Peak I managed to notice the flame effect of a torch wasn't directly ON the torch, yet on the nearby torch the flame effect was just fine. Also take note that MMORPG.com did an interview with BioWare about Dragon Age - comparing it to WoW.

Now this may had been insignificant at the time, but I am beginning to think that BioWare may actually have taken the "phasing" technology that is utilized so similarly in Wrath of the Lich King. I could be wrong however. Examples of this include the beginning Human Noble Warrior origin story, and the Soldier's Peak. I managed to bug Levi Dryden merchant fellow, but for the sake of spoilers, I won't say how just yet.

Oh and the economic system and the item statistics system is an exact rip-off of WoW's system(s). Right down to the fact that Healing and Damage done by Spells is known as one statistic - Spellpower.

Vault Dweller said:
- not crazy about auto-regen, but it's a mandatory feature these days, much like RT combat. Is anyone bitching that DA is not turn-based?

It would make for an interesting experience, however, the battles would have to be smaller and the time required for each fight would be lengthened greatly. This doesn't fit well with the console crowds. :wink:

racofer

Thread Incliner
draexem said:
My first post does in fact exist and therefore it is possible to read it.
Your first post on this thread says nothing on the question at hand, thus making it completely irrelevant.

There was no discussion at hand, just you trying and failing to make a smart arse reply.
The irony-meter just shot through the roof.

But does not encompass the game as a whole. No matter how crucial the main quest is to a game, it is not the entire game. Therefore a linear main quest in no way means a linear game.
Wrong again. Either provide arguments on why your point of view is valid or quit it.

Again a nothing response where you don't say anything except trying to sound tough and or smart. Thus school boy response. This is not a playground, the Codex used to be better than this.
That's an interesting observation from someone that's being repeating the same lines through the last three pages without ever putting up any arguments on why your point of view is somewhat superior to mine. Keep up the good work.

It seemed appropriate, considering my conversation partner. It's also very true, and is something for you to consider.
More words of wisdom. I feel diminished on thy presence, oh Lord of Wisdom.

draexem

Novice
Jesus Christ, Chief and Racofer really deserved to be dumbfucked. They're prime examples of why the Codex is shit these days

MetalCraze

Arcane
Re: goty

godsend1989 said:
game of the year, undoubtedly. give me a better example if i`m mistaking?

If to talk about a better aRPG - Risen. Your character can even die there, rarity these days.
DA - GOTY? Haha no.

draexem

Novice
Re: goty

MetalCraze said:
Risen. Your character can even die there, rarity these days.

In that case I'd like to nominate most of the JRPGs released this year. They seem to meet your criteria

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom