Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout is coming to the iPhone, made by John Carmack

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/11/carmack-on-iphone-fallout-quake-live-elves-and-orcs/">Cue Kotaku</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>While the Classics’ line seems fairly mapped out, Carmack isn’t as sure about the RPG and original games coming from the developer. He says that the next RPG game will be Doom 2 RPG and if that does well they will move on to the Orcs and Elves RPG games.
<br>
[...]
<br>
In particular Carmack is interesting in getting parent company Bethesda interested in bringing some of their games over to the iPhone.
<br>
<br>
“I spent a bit of time talking to Todd Howard about the iPhone,” he said. “We want to make something happen for those products as well.”
<br>
<br>
An obvious choice would be Fallout, something that Carmack says has already had internal proof of concepts made. But nothing has yet officially happened with the game.
<br>
<br>
Carmack says that Howard, a big fan of the iPhone, is very supportive of the idea and that anything made based on Bethesda’s games would likely be created as a joint project between id and Bethesda.
<br>
<br>
He added that he would be involved in making the game most likely, but that his time is “overloaded badly right now”.
<br>
<br>
“At the very least I’m going to be providing code,” he said.</blockquote>
<br>
Doom 2 RPG?
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Ausir</b>

Ch1ef

Scholar
Now Carmack is Howard's bitch.

Fuck you Carmack, you killed Wolfenstein and Quake 3.

I tried, I really cannot imagine how you could fit the Fallout interface onto an iPhone screen.

You would have be constantly scrolling/zooming in.

Silellak

Cipher
Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
I tried, I really cannot imagine how you could fit the Fallout interface onto an iPhone screen.

You would have be constantly scrolling/zooming in.
You can if it's a rail shooter!

MetalCraze

Arcane
It will be just like Doom JRPG. First person, move from screen to screen, fight orcs, read some text once in a while.

Ch1ef

Scholar
asper said:
Elzair said:
How did he kill Quake 3?

He resurrected it in the form of Quake Live.
Ehe. I love how they fucked up shaft damage in QL coz "ZOMG IT WAS SO POWERFUL" and now rail is ultimate and unstoppable weapon in duels :?
Experienced camper just rapes you on ztn3tourney1, you can't do nothing with rockets.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ch1ef said:
asper said:
Elzair said:
How did he kill Quake 3?

He resurrected it in the form of Quake Live.
Ehe. I love how they fucked up shaft damage in QL coz "ZOMG IT WAS SO POWERFUL" and now rail is ultimate and unstoppable weapon in duels :?
Experienced camper just rapes you on ztn3tourney1, you can't do nothing with rockets.

Shaft was overpowered in Q3, just look at usage statistics by pro gamers (thats what id did to determine weapon balance in ql, btw). It was 7-7-7 damage, now it is 7-6-5, depending on range. So close range, it still does 7 damage.

Rail has been nerfed in QL by 20 points! It does 80 damage now, instead of 100 like in Q3, where it was really whored to the extreme. If you think rail if overpowered in QL, go play a ztn duel on Q3... A lot of people say the rail in QL is actually too weak...

There are valid criticisms of QL (lack of new maps!), but I think the weapon balance is close to being perfect. The shaft could be 6-6-6 though, rail is fine.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Looks like former creators of great FPSes and former creators of great RPGs have joined to make shitty RPG shooters.

Dnny

Educated
id software is broken beyond repair. They used to be cool and put out somewhat fun FPSes but nowadays what with their crappy phone games (orc and elves, REALLY ? I know of better phone games than that shit, which isn't saying much), what with Rage (a mix of racing game and FPS ? WTF), what with Carmack newly found love for the Xbox 360, what with them making money from recycling an old game and polishing bits that didn't ask for it (Quake 3 : Quake Live), what with the abuse of their brand to sell shitty games made by shitty studios (Quake 4 built under Raven, a huge pile of dogshit probably the worst game ever made under a brand owned by Id Software), what with their rape of the doom franchise (Doom 3 didn't feel like Doom 1 and 2 in any way conceivable. What used to be fast paced, nuke hundreds of monsters game turned into First Person Silent Hill).

What a sad way for a legend of video games to "grow" his career. John Carmack should have died from a cardiac arrest or a car crash before they created that heresy called Doom 3. At least we would have remembered him well.

Elzair

Cipher
Anyone who did not see how Doom 3 would end up never played Doom 64. For some reason, I find that game much more unnerving than Doom 3.

racofer

Thread Incliner
CyberToddler.jpg

Dnny

Educated
Elzair said:
Anyone who did not see how Doom 3 would end up never played Doom 64. For some reason, I find that game much more unnerving than Doom 3.

Anyone with a brain would not know because buying a Nintendo 64 takes a gargantuan amount of stupidity. There was like, three or four "ok" games for the whole lifetime of the platform, ten rehashes and hundreds of piles of crap.

Doom as it was defined on the PC was a fast paced, monster-blasting FPS with heavy metal and electro inspired music that fit perfectly with the action. That was the first WTF I had when I fired Doom 3 up for the first levels, where was the funny music and beat ? all it was about was an horror show, just like Silent Hill only in First Person. That was no doom.

Then the monsters.
How did the Cacodemon evolve from
Cacodemon_encounter.png

into this
Cacodemon.jpg

I'd say Serious Sam is more Doom-ish than Doom 3 although the SS character is a straight copy of Duke.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't believe all this "OMG it's not real!" bullshit being spewed around here. Yes, of course it isn't real. Yes, no one is a criminal for doing something like that in a game. So I don't think you should be arrested or anything like that. But that sure is fuck won't stop me from passing judgement on you if you enjoy doing something like that in a game. Anyone who could go through something like that game and not feel sick to their stomach is a morally depraved individual, regardless of whether they take that depravity out on others.

Because it's not "just a game." It's presented in a way that is realistic and is meant to tug at the emotions of the player. All games (and indeed all art) does that to some extent. To deny that is to say that you have never felt the slightest bit of emotion at anything that ever happened in a game, book, or movie that you experienced. And if you say that, you're a fucking liar. And you're one of the worst kinds of apologists that ever existed in gaming history - much worse than any of those mainstream gamers that like to forgive bad rpg mechanics who we like to make fun of so often - if you simply say it's "just a game," when referring to this depravity in MW2. It's never "just a game" when presented in such a manner. It's not meant to be. For fuck's sake, in gaming terms it's a game where you simply go through the level mowing down people who don't even fight back and are basically only there so they can die. And yet, all you people - you who praise challenge in games, who always speak in favor of good gameplay mechanics - are defending this game against those who see it for the trash it really is, all the while jumping up and down and yelling "Lol it's just pixels!"

You moral cowards. The very fact that you praise this level and say that it's "fun" shows that you don't think of it as just a game, because in pure gaming terms it's a piece of shit. So you look at it in terms that the developers wanted you to look at it, all the while trying to deflect attention from both you and what that level truly demonstrates. Go fuck yourselves.

That level is the ultimate in video game depravity. It has you acting out a truly evil act, presented realistically - a complete inversion of what it should be. Art is about presenting the ideal. And yes, games are art too. Anything that an artist puts forth is his vision of the ideal. So just think of that now in context of that game. Now, games are art, but there is also the gameplay element as well to take into consideration. But I've already established that there is nothing "gamist" about that level, so you have to look at it in purely artistic terms. And in those terms, they are presenting evil depravity and, what's more, forcing the player to experience it firsthand. It is complete filth, on the level of a movie or book that has a serial killer as the protaganist, or a rap song that is about raping and killing women.

But there's more to it than that, you say? Like what? Showing maturity in a game? Except that all the other games are your classic "good versus evil" game, as others have already pointed out in this thread, and that this game is a jarring departure. Presenting a complicated moral dillemna? Meaningless without actual choices, and furthermore that would require more build-up. That level has all the interactivity of a cutscene, and yet instead of presenting it as such, they force you to play through it. It is celebrating depravity for depravity's sake, and as such deserves every kind of condemnation we can give it.

And as far as Fallout is concerned, that's a completely different situation. Fallout is about CHOICE, and as such the ability to kill everyone is a representation of the power of choice and the freedom that players have. Nothing is ever forced. When we all complained about the lack of killable children in Fallout 3, we were complaining about the lack of CHOICE in the game, since they were presenting it as a sequel. Because player choice is another means of presenting the ideal in games, since it gives more immersion and greater player interaction in a game, and no other art form can do that. But in the absence of choice, a game should always force you to play the hero. Always.

This game is doing the complete opposite. It is filth. There is absolutely nothing, nothing, that is redeemable about it. And by defending it on this forum you are giving moral sanction to this artistic depravity, and as such deserve this post that I wrote and any other vitriol that may be flung at you in this thread. If you don't want such comdemnation, then shut the fuck up and start seeing things as they really are, for once.

Dnny said:
Anyone with a brain would not know because buying a Nintendo 64 takes a gargantuan amount of stupidity. There was like, three or four "ok" games for the whole lifetime of the platform, ten rehashes and hundreds of piles of crap.

I disagree, but I guess it's down to taste

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Dnny said:
What a sad way for a legend of video games to "grow" his career. John Carmack should have died from a cardiac arrest or a car crash before they created that heresy called Doom 3. At least we would have remembered him well.
I dislike the decline of ID just as much as the next person here, but some of you really do take video games far too damn seriously.

Ausir said:
Remember Superman 64, published by Herve Caen himself?
Herve was involved in that piece of shit too? Goddamn, is there anyone in the games industry that comes even close to being as huge a failure as Herve? :lol:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
GarfunkeL said:
Xor, you sure you replied in the right thread? :P

Yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom