Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MW2 has the best mission ever

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Oooh great, you can follow the super heavy scripted NPCs while they are killing the other super heavy scripted npc's. You can also shoot your gun if you want. The whole game will be like that. I don't know, I just can't stomach these COD games. The last "war" FPS I've actually enjoyed was MOHAA.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Nostradumbass said:
that was just something you did on your own for fun
And here you do this (or not if you want) just to not blow your cover. Didn't your ilk baaaw about how games lack grey area?

youre a retard if you think thats an excuse (itt skyway admits he thinks cod has a good and believable storyline). no us agent would ever do that just to keep their cover. not only because its against their own rule of conduct, but because so many things could go wrong and net you in deep trouble... KIND OF LIKE HOW IT HAPPENS IN THE GAME STORY, OH, HOW CONVENIENT. activision just wanted to be edgy and jump on the controversy bandwagon, and made some shitty excuse for it (lulz ur undercover).

MetalCraze said:
Killing civilians for fun is better than just watching how terrorists do that! You are like not a total hypocrite sir

having the freedom of choice over whether to kill civilians or not isn't the same as being told by the game, "here, go kill civilians". you are, like, not a total retard for failing to see the difference.

"not" -Borat, 2006

MetalCraze said:
Codex is so full of soft spineless retards these days who take games too seriously. Guess what - killing civilians is fun which you said yourself.
And in Carmageddon killing civilians is the main objective of 99 missions - guess that game is like superhardkkkore or something.

YEAH BRO CARMAGEDDON WAS TOTALLY A GAME WHICH TOOK ITSELF SRSLY.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Nostradumbass said:
MetalCraze said:
Killing civilians for fun is better than just watching how terrorists do that! You are like not a total hypocrite sir

having the freedom of choice over whether to kill civilians or not isn't the same as being told by the game, "here, go kill civilians". you are, like, not a total retard for failing to see the difference.

"not" -Borat, 2006

"Here, go kill enemy soldiers" that also have their lifes, like the civilians, and they probably have a wife and children to feed, and maybe they just are in the locar army or guerrilla because they were forced by some evil dictator, and maybe they have sentiments too, you are, like, not a total retard for failing to see the (un)difference.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So, yeah, it's not like any army ever has recruited by force any soldier! They're just braindead and blood-thirsty motherfuckers, right?

At least that's what your government tells you, right?

I am shocked and appalled by this video game. Showing terrorists killing civilians is unacceptable, the terrorist should be armed with non lethal weapons to preserve human life.

Was this the mission that they said you could skip if you were squeamish?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
MetalCraze said:
Hamster said:
Skyway was butthurt about russian book with russian soldier punching ukrainin soldier in the face on the cover, and now he is a valiant defender of a holy right of every gamer to kill unarmed russian civilians. Lol.

Or maybe you are just a moron? I didn't know they were russians up until I saw russian text in the video and heard russian language. I couldn't care less who they are really.

You are so cute when you are lying. Unfortunately, you started bitching about Russia in your first post: cut in Russia in PC versions and all console versions were absolutely cock-blocked from release due to a massive polit-correct butthurt.
So i find your statement hard to believe.

If you can't see a difference between anti-X propaganda books and a simple game where terrorists are actually shown as terrorists - not my problem.

This game shows that killing russian civilians is an ok thing to do for american agent. And that comes a year after US sponsored forces were gunning down civilians in South Ossetia in real life. If you can't see the problem here - not my problem.

Also, "all terrorist attacks in Russia are organised by russian government" is a real life position of USA, and suprise-surprise, according to wikipedia aboyt MW2: the Ultranationalists seize control of Russia and declare Zakhaev a hero and martyr. Meanwhile, Vladimir Makarov, one of Zakhaev's former lieutenants...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nostradumbass said:
youre a retard if you think thats an excuse
No I think you just don't know what argument to find to protect your idiotic opinion about how games must be taken more seriously than TV, movie, book or any other form of media. I still want to hear why is it bad to kill civilians in games? Care to provide at least one argument?

(itt skyway admits he thinks cod has a good and believable storyline).
I think you have a trouble with reading

no us agent would ever do that just to keep their cover
Because US agents are all hyppies who care about other countries which they undermine themselves. Much like every other single CIA-analog.

not only because its against their own rule of conduct
Please share this Rule of Jedi Codex that CIA agents have in games with us, oh kind CIA operative sir.

but because so many things could go wrong and net you in deep trouble... KIND OF LIKE HOW IT HAPPENS IN THE GAME STORY, OH, HOW CONVENIENT. activision just wanted to be edgy and jump on the controversy bandwagon, and made some shitty excuse for it (lulz ur undercover).
So why are you so butthurt over it? I don't get it?

Again I ask you - why are you so butthurt over killing civilians? CoD maybe a shitty shooter but it does not have to be a LARP'ing simulator like Bioware games.

YEAH BRO CARMAGEDDON WAS TOTALLY A GAME WHICH TOOK ITSELF SRSLY.

So forcing you to kill digital civilians is ok as long as you pretend that the game is not serious?
My god you are such a fucking moron and a hypocrite.

Nostradumbass said:
hey, shit-for-brains, soldiers make a conscientious choice to fight. go hug a fucking tree. you're, like, not completely braindead for failing to realize that civilians are not people who are trying to kill you.

You understand that killing civilians in a video game for lulz can be fun because no one IRL is getting hurt. I think you shouldn't have a problem with killing fake civilians to tell a story, then (disregarding the possible quality).

If anything, you should be offended by games like GTA, SR, etc, because they let you kill civilians for lulz; not the other way around. In MW, that will probably be the only time you won't be shooting at "bad guys" (aka enemy soldiers and terrorists), and you're controlling a non lawful-good character, anyway. The game isn't stating that it's the right thing to do.

You're more or less playing as an anti-hero / villain, so claiming he's being a bad boy is being redundant.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hamster said:
You are so cute when you are lying. Unfortunately, you started bitching about Russia in your first post: cut in Russia in PC versions and all console versions were absolutely cock-blocked from release due to a massive polit-correct butthurt.
So i find your statement hard to believe.
Did you understand what you wrote? Again I'll clarify - I thought that mission was fun even before I knew there were russians.
OMG this evil MC dreams about killing russians days and nights!
BTW read "поцреоты" article on lurkmore.ru, it's about you.

This game shows that killing russian civilians is an ok thing to do for american agent.
It's George Bush's conspiracy to enslave your home country, you know this right?
American very own movies where turncoat secret service agents are shooting civilians of course don't count.

And that comes a year after US sponsored forces were gunning down civilians in South Ossetia in real life.
Proof? It has been 1.5 years, I think you may have actually found a single one.

Also, "all terrorist attacks in Russia are organised by russian government" is a real life position of USA
Of course. Newsflash: a real life position of USA - USA doesn't give a shit about Russia. Nobody gives a shit about Russia - that's the reality, no reason to be butthurt about it.

This reminds me of those situations where a butthurt chick (Russia) can't get over the guy (USA) who dumped her and constantly tries to get his attention, by blackmouthing him to his friends etc.

and suprise-surprise, according to wikipedia aboyt MW2: the Ultranationalists seize control of Russia and declare Zakhaev a hero and martyr. Meanwhile, Vladimir Makarov, one of Zakhaev's former lieutenants...
I don't get it - what is so terrible about this? Are you butthurt that ultranationalists are portrayed as bad guys? I can understand your pain.

baronjohn

Cipher
Well I just played the airport "mission" and it's pretty lame. No wounds on civilians, no ragdolling corpses, nothing. You can't even execute them up close because you limited to this snail's pace.

I was looking forward to this mission because I hate waiting at airports. P. fucking disappointing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
That's because MW2 takes itself too seriously.

Carmageddon where people actually lose limbs and entrails is truly kosher!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
MetalCraze said:
Also, "all terrorist attacks in Russia are organised by russian government" is a real life position of USA
Newsflash: a real life position of USA - USA doesn't give a shit about Russia. Nobody gives a shit about Russia - that's the reality,

Yeah, i keep hearing this all the time. People in USA apparently care about Russia so little that they just can't stop making video games about us.

Annonchinil

Scholar
The whole game seems to be made up of fluff missions for shock effect rather than to mix up actual gameplay. Its like the gunship level in MW, it had a good feel but it was just a bad rail shooter.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They also make videogames about Mars, Normandy, distant galaxies, underground cities, Middle-East, South America, Middle-Earth, Faerun, tropics, Africa etc.

Really it looks like you are butthurt that games is the only place where US turns it attention to your homeland once in a while in between milking western front of WW2 and overabundant tropics.

They even showed that terrorists use ukrainian city as a meeting point in MW1 where they also traffik weapons and drugs - so should I start baaawing?

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
They should've made it a Mossad false flag operation, that's really innovative.

ghostdog said:
Oooh great, you can follow the super heavy scripted NPCs while they are killing the other super heavy scripted npc's. You can also shoot your gun if you want. The whole game will be like that. I don't know, I just can't stomach these COD games. The last "war" FPS I've actually enjoyed was MOHAA.

I rather played Hidden and Dangerous 1 & 2 even with the bugs, where is the modern day equalivent?

Even this became a part of history.

rs_3.jpg

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Hamster said:
Yeah, i keep hearing this all the time. People in USA apparently care about Russia so little that they just can't stop making video games about us.

Well, really, the only reason they're doing it is because they're more afraid to make videogames where Muslims are the main terrorists.

I'm Russian too, but I don't really care. In fact I learned to imitate the crappy Russian accents American actors use in movies and games, and it's fun.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Yes, well.

What I got from the scene is not so much that it is a breakthrough in videogame narrative (it's not) or necessarily elevating games to 'art' (whatever that means nowadays and no, it's not). Conflicting opinions will be just that, and between media watchdogs and self-serving politicians, you've got a pretty cozy controversy.

I liked the scene for a couple of reasons. First, it moves players into uncomfortable territory. FPSes are no strangers to death and violence, and you can certainly argue that dropping a nuke and 'killing' a mute protagonist in CoD4 wasn't all that important given how you can spend the rest of the game 'dying' and reloading in a Looney Tunes cycle. But for the newborn perspective of this newer generation of players - console players, perhaps, but not all of them - it's a somewhat radical position. Traditional, by the rules FPSes are meant to glorify, to emasculate. Women are commodities and prizes. Headshots are the ultimate expression of manhood (and there's certainly something to be said of how it can translate into sexual pulsion, headshot as cumshot, the "other" subdued by our power).

But 'killing' the main character, that link that players establish with the avatar as a representation of themselves, is not as commonplace. Prior to this, you had what - CoD4's grueling moment of crawling outside the chopper and dying? Quake 4's amputation of the main character until he became the "other", the very thing he was meant to kill?

Yes, it can come off as cheap or not particularly "well done" - I suppose there are better ways to integrate that kind of 'message' into gameplay - but it's a step forward. In a genre where you're mostly killing everything and everyone is dropping around like flies as you are the hero, challenging your comfort zone is important. In this case, switching "hostiles" or "terrorists" for clear innocents.

What pissed me off, however, was

a) the German butthurt, which is entirely asinine as far as control of violent content goes considering how they have no problem giving freedom of speech to hate groups, which are responsible for more violence and brainwashing of younger kids than videogames;

b) the general "political correct" butthurt, which is sustained on the idea that "guys this is an important part of our game but you can skip it", which completely undermines the point of it;

c) the fact that the on-rails narrative is somewhat deceiving. The first time through the level one can assume that, given your threshold for what's on the screen - namely, if you can stomach gunning down civilians while a baby cries in the background - your first instinct might be to not open fire on them. When the level ends, Makarov shoots you point blank.

Now, on a replay, you might think that, since the objective is to go undercover a terrorist cell to nail Makarov, that you'd have to comply with the atrocity so that your cover wouldn't be blown. You start gunning down the civilians in the hope you've done a "good job" convincing Makarov of your allegiance.

He still shoots you.

Screw that.

Having him not kill you if you acted out your role, it would have made a much better point of driving the "in war sacrifices must be made" point.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
holy shit, big dumbfuck overload in here.

BROS I THINK SKYWAY FINALLY SNAPPED. ONE CONSOLETARD GAME TOO FAR.

Berekän said:
So, yeah, it's not like any army ever has recruited by force any soldier! They're just braindead and blood-thirsty motherfuckers, right?

At least that's what your government tells you, right?

yep, thats clearly the type of soldiers this game (and most others) portray. yep, theres absolutely no difference in killing defenseless people and killing people because theyre trying to kill you. i'm surprised you've lived this long without having fucking killed yourself due to stupidity already.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nostradumbass said:
holy shit, big dumbfuck overload in here.

BROS I THINK SKYWAY FINALLY SNAPPED. ONE CONSOLETARD GAME TOO FAR.
I assume this is your argument in your defence?
How about actually answering my questions, darling?
yep, thats clearly the type of soldiers this game (and most others) portray. yep, theres absolutely no difference in killing defenseless people and killing people because theyre trying to kill you.
I thought it didn't matter to you as long as the game didn't take itself too seriously?
You should get your hypocrisy straight.

ever

Scholar
Comparing this to Carmageddon and saying hey its been done before ignores some of the realities of this situation

Carmageddon has a very cartoonish portrayal of the violence, there is blood, guts and organs flying everywhere. Its shock gore. It doesn't attempt to capture the agony of death or the will to survive or the tragedy of the situation like CoD6 does.

CoD quite intentionally depicts people crawling after being shot trying to get away, it depicts panic fear and all these things. I mean it doesn't help to hear distressed pleading cries in Russian or to have people animated so well. The fact that its first person and you're not in some vehicle of destruction but rather you know standing there like a human would and looking down upon these people adds to the gravity.

As for the whole politics of the game I don't really like it. Its kinda promoting the life of the warrior and loyalty to the state. On the other hand it does a good job to depict the tragedy of it all and those people who put down the controller on those levels prolly will have had some kinda revelation. Personally I had mine while playing CoD4 multiplayer.

There's nothing cool about people killing people. Yeah there's something cool about spaceships blowing eachother up and huge tanks and jet planes and hell spawn monsters and stuff like that but nothing cool about regular joe one vs regular joe 2.

I think a good example of a game that takes itself much less seriously and offers a much richer gaming experience not a murder simulator is battlefield bad company 2.

Casus belli

Liturgist
I still don't see the difference between other games like GTA and this one. In both games you kill civilians to have fun. That is, assuming you, the player, plays to have fun. If you refer to the purpose of the character, one could argue that COD's case is more justifiable, since the character kills them for a purpose (as controversial and polemical that interest may be), while in GTA or similar games the killing is mostly senseless.
About COD taking itself seriously, I fail to see how that makes much of a difference, the act is the same, at least in its essence. Furthermore, I also remember GTA 4 as being fairly realistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom