Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Dragon Age!

Mystary!

Arcane
This part is played out in a dream world so everything is, naturally, blurry.
EDIT: Someone beat me to it, but I might add that the depth of field can appear blurry when playing in a resolution that slower than your monitors default.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Good stuff!

And I think the tone/amount of humor is fine. I wouldn't try to overdo it.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Every free account with Photobucket is allotted 10 GB of monthly
bandwidth and our records show that you have less than 3 GB of
bandwidth left to your account.

Ah well, that sucks. I'll make a new account and hope the first 2 updates hold out till the end of the month.
Anyone has a suggestion for another imagehost? Will start typing the update now, stay tuned.

Micmu

Magister
Use more compression for jpegs. Stronger compression, smaller file size, less bandwidth. Original graphics seem to be distorted beyond belief anyway, so no one will notice less quality images.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Part 3

Part 3: In which the writer goes totally insane from the amount of text he has to transcribe, and talks to some more people.

Jowan.jpg
"Are you all right? Say something, please..."

Drizscht.jpg
"A demon! Die, demon!"

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-23-05-96.jpg

Jowan.jpg
"I'm glad you're all right. They carried you in this morning. I didn't even realize you'd been gone all night."

Jowan.jpg
"I've heard about apprentices who never come back from Harrowings. Is it really that dangerous? What was it like?"

Drizscht.jpg
"Stop pestering me, Jowan."

Jowan.jpg
"Hhph. So much for friendship. I'll leave you alone then."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-23-29-92.jpg

Seriously, who actually takes that pose? How old is he, 5?

Jowan.jpg
"I've been here longer than you have... Sometimes I think they just don't want to test me."

Drizscht.jpg
"You're just paranoid."

Jowan.jpg
"No, I'm afraid of what will happen to me."

Jowan.jpg
"You do the Harrowing, the Rite of Tranquility... or you die. That's what happens."

Drizscht.jpg
"What does this have to do with you?"

Jowan.jpg
"If... if they don't call apprentices to the Harrowing, it probably means... Tranquility."

Jowan.jpg
"You've seen Tranquil around the tower. Like Owain, who runs the stockroom."

Jowan.jpg
"He's so cold. No, not even cold. There's just... nothing in him. It's like he's dead, but still walking. His voice, his eyes are lifeless..."

Drizscht.jpg
"I think you're reading too much into it."

Jowan.jpg
"I shouldn't waste your time with this. I was supposed to tell you to see Irving as soon as you woke up."

-No wonder this guy never was allowed to do the test, he can't even pass along a message without going offtopic-

Drizscht.jpg
"Where is he?"

Jowan.jpg
"He said he'd be in his study upstairs."

Jowan.jpg
"You'd better not keep him waiting. We can speak later."

-If I'm late, it's his fault. Damn, he's a dick.-

We walk around a bit and see a door. let's investigate!
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-25-06-70.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-25-33-90.jpg

Templar.jpg
"No you may not. I am surprised you ask."

Templar.jpg
"I would have thought you'd be used to this idea by now."

Drizscht.jpg
"Is this the only way out of the tower?"

Templar.jpg
"The only safe one, as far as I know. There are windows on the higher levels, but surely you don't need me to warn you of the dangers of leaping from them."

Templar.jpg
"It never ends well."

Drizscht.jpg
"I should get going."

Templar.jpg
"Maker smile fortune on you."

We walk around on the first floor of the academy a bit, it's got a nice scripted atmosphere going on with teachers teaching stuff.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-27-21-98.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-27-39-96.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-28-07-15.jpg

We take the the stairs to the second floor and encounter the Owain Jowan told us about.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-28-48-26.jpg

And here we see the first mentally-challenged person in Dragon Age, Owain. He's a tranquil, which means he's basically a ment... ehhm, mage stripped of his ability and emotions. We'll also encounter a retarted dwarf in our travels, because mental handicaps are totally dark, yo.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-29-00-81.jpg

Owain.jpg
"The stockroom is not a shop. Your mentor should have clarified this."

Owain.jpg
"The stockroom stores components used in magical and alchemical experiments. Do you require something?"

-Ignoring his inquiry, we let our curiosity get the better of us. -

Drizscht.jpg
"Are you really a Tranquil mage?"

Owain.jpg
"I voluntarily submitted to the Rite of Tranquility. I was unwilling to undergo the Harrowing."

Owain.jpg
"I find this state agreeable."

Drizscht.jpg
"What is it like not having emotions?"

Owain.jpg
"I see the world with clarity. I remember the days when my mind was filled with inconvenient and seething emotions."

-Seething emotions? That sounds horrible. -

Owain.jpg
"Now things are simple."

Drizscht.jpg
"And now you are no longer a person."

Owain.jpg
"My body is similar in form to yours, possessing an equal number of limbs, appendages, and internal organs."

-This is essential, because this shows us, in an early stage of the game, that elfs and humans are exactly the same. Besides the ears. -

Owain.jpg
"I perform the same physical functions. My mind is capable of higher thought processes."

Owain.jpg
"Am I to be denied personhood because I do not feel as you do?"

Drizscht.jpg
"You might as well be an artfully made construct."

Owain.jpg
"People feel different things to different degrees. One individual may be more empathetic than the next. Some are quick to anger, while others are not."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-30-38-73.jpg

-Dialogue option 3, seriously? Is that supposed to be evil? Who'd actually pick that one? -

Owain.jpg
"I propose we agree to disagree."

Owain.jpg
"Personhood is not merasurable. Therefore, we should let this rest."

Drizscht.jpg
"I should go now."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-32-16-54.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-32-19-84.jpg

Niall.jpg
"Hello. Were you looking for something?"

Drizscht.jpg
Who are you?

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-32-38-17.jpg

Niall.jpg
"Oh, the fraternities. Groups of mages with a common agenda."
-Really? Which one has the 'enslaving people with necromancy'-agenda?-
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-32-55-93.jpg

Niall.jpg
"I'd hide alone in the wild if I could. But you know they'd just brand me an apostate and hunt me down."

Niall.jpg
"There is no leaving the Circle. It's till death do us part. Romantic, isn't it?"

Drizscht.jpg
"Apostate?"

-One of the things that annoys me in DA. You've got a rather rich if somewhat bland backstory, but your character can act like he doesn't know anything about the world without anyone going "... You should really know this by now, this is rather essential in our trade, you know. Retard." -

Niall.jpg
"If you leave the circle, you become an apostate. And the punishment for leaving is death."

Niall.jpg
"Pretty grim, huh?"

Drizscht.jpg
"It's a punishment well-deserved."

Niall.jpg
"So they say."

Niall.jpg
"I've heard of hedge witches who've managed to survive on their own, eluding the Circle for a lifetime."

Niall.jpg
"But if the templars discover them... well, you know what happens."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-33-33-10.jpg

-what's this guy doing in our conversation? He doesn't actually say this, the camera just cuts to him with a dumbstruck look on his face. -

We end the conversation and talk to Samuel L. Jackson.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-34-02-68.jpg

Torrin.jpg
"Uh... oh! They're found in all Circles throughout Thedas, groups of enchanters who hold similar viewpoints who band together to make their voices heard."

Torrin.jpg
"The most influential Fraternity are the Aequitarians. They're moderates, and believe in a code of conduct that all mages should adhere to."

Torrin.jpg
"Then there are the chantry apologists, the Loyalists. The Chantry says something and they follow it to the letter."

Torrin.jpg
"The Lucrosians just want to make money, and the Isolationists would like us all to be hermits and live on an island."

Torrin.jpg
"Then, of course, are the Libertarians. They want more power for the Circle, more autonomy."

Drizscht.jpg
"Isn't that a good thing?"

Torrin.jpg
"That's what they would say."

Torrin.jpg
(sigh) "Mages have enough opposition from the outside without tearing our Circles apart with in-fighting. But what can you do?"

-We leave the conversation before we can answer this. -
Drizscht.jpg
"I should get going."

We find another elf sitting at a table that's way out of proportion.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-34-42-65.jpg

Mageelf.jpg
"Do you need something? If not, step back; you're in my light."

Drizscht.jpg
"I'll stand where I please."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-35-02-57.jpg

Mageelf.jpg
"I will be soon. I have studied hard, and this opportunity will not pass me by."

Mageelf.jpg
"This is a chance for me to prove I can achieve as much as any human."

Mageelf.jpg
"Many humans believe elves are only fit to be servants."

Drizscht.jpg
"I agree. We should show them."

-Yeah! Scoia'Tael time!

Mageelf.jpg
"With most of our history lost, I suppose I'll never really know. Maybe the Dalish elves would, but I've never met one."

Drizscht.jpg
"Dalish Elf?"

-We once again reveal our complete lack of IC-knowledge. Seriously, what do they teach at this school of magic? Not history of the world, that's for certain. -

Mageelf.jpg
"They live in the wilderness, traveling where they will. I've heard they keep the old beliefs alive."

Drizscht.jpg
"I wish I knew the old language."

Mageelf.jpg
"As do I. Perhaps one day I will have the chance to learn it."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-36-25-07.jpg

-This was new in my playthrough, I hope it'll have some effects later in the game, seeing SPOILAR Lothering gets destroyed quite early in the game. I doubt it, but it'd be a nice touch. -

Mageelf.jpg
"I suppose it doesn't matter where we're from, does it? We're in the Circle now,"

Drizscht.jpg
"We're reviled as mages as well."

Mageelf.jpg
"I am satisfied knowing the humans who looked down upon me will fear me instead."

-Man, I want to recruit this guy for my mage army of evil. Too bad I can't.-

Mageelf.jpg
"But I should get back to my books."

Drizscht.jpg
"Fine, go back to your books."

We walk around and find an empty bookshelf...

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-37-12-67.jpg

... and an old Senior enchanter staring at a bookcase.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-37-20-00.jpg

Oldenchanter.jpg
"Oh... hello. I don't believe we've met... are you new to the Circle?"

Drizscht.jpg
"Are you daft? I've seen you in here many times."

Oldenchanter.jpg
"I'm sorry. There are so many of you, and I get confused. Not to mention these old eyes are starting to go..."

Drizscht.jpg
"Starting? I'd say they've already gone."

Oldenchanter.jpg
"Such cheek! Why, in my day, junior mages wouldn't dare say such things to an older mage."

Oldenchanter.jpg
"If they did, it was an hour in the freezy chair."

-Oh boy. This should be interesting, in a totally non-awkward-way.-

Drizscht.jpg
"Freezy Chair?"

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-37-47-53.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-37-52-54.jpg

Oldenchanter.jpg
"Anyway, did you need something?"

Drizscht.jpg
"I think I should go."

We enter a room and find a mage preparing it for the Grey Warden, that just happens to be visiting. I'll skip most of the dialogue, since I can't be arsed to type out more dialogue than is needed. Time for a short summary of all the characters.

The old veteran that's now preparing the room for a grey warden...
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-38-28-75.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-38-30-98.jpg

... the conspiracy loon...
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-40-34-46.jpg

... personal crisis girl...
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-43-33-32.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-44-08-46.jpg

... iinvisible wall guard...
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-44-56-21.jpg

..And eventually we find Irving. Yay.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-45-07-87.jpg

A conflict between the mages and the chantry? A friend asking for help? An impossible love? All this, and more, on the next update of DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
micmu said:
Use more compression for jpegs. Stronger compression, smaller file size, less bandwidth. Original graphics seem to be distorted beyond belief anyway, so no one will notice less quality images.

Okay, I'll compress them a bit more the next time. Thanks for the hint.

Luzur

Good Sir
i notice they still cant do swords holstered on backs without it floating in the air.

and why does everyone (including the mages) put their weapons on their backs?

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Luzur said:
i notice they still cant do swords holstered on backs without it floating in the air.

and why does everyone (including the mages) put their weapons on their backs?

Because it's practical to take a staff of your back, instead of say, using it as a walking-stick.

... Okay, it isn't. A wizard did it.

TNO

Augur
WTF is up with the shoulderpads on the armour?

I mean, I know they've completely ripped off the Warp from 40k, but are these knight dudes ripped off space marines?

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Don't forget about the Orkspawn who go on a WAAAGH!!! whenever an archwarboss comes around. The knights are more like His Holy Inquistion than Space Marines. They hunt apostates, which are DA's rogue psykers. They also guard the Circle of Sanctioned Psykers to prevent the weak ones from becoming foul chaos-tainted abominations. In fact, there is a lot of shit in DA that seems to be "inspired" from 40K and WHFB. Oh well, nothing's really original these days anyway.

Edit: You should aim for a Commander Shepard playthrough. There are a couple of X-TREME dialogue choices like
punching and knocking out the arl's wife so you can kill her demon possessed boy.

Korgan

Arbiter
^
No way, you'll have to butcher her, then gleefully take the demon's offer and become a blood mage. This is exactly how this LP should be.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
"The only safe one, as far as I know. There are windows on the higher levels, but surely you don't need me to warn you of the dangers of leaping from them."
What. The. Fuck.
LOL durrrrr there are windows in this place, just in case you hadn't noticed; just don't jump from them. This game sounds like a bad attempt at comedy, even though it's supposed to be all SRS BZNZ. They shot for the stars, and misseeeeeeed. When does Jim Carrey make an appearance?

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Vibalist said:
Any chance of an update soon?

That's a valid question, will try to update it before/on thursday. I underestimated the amount of work it takes, so I'm rather unmotivated at the moment.

Monocause

Arcane
Sulimo said:
That's a valid question, will try to update it before/on thursday. I underestimated the amount of work it takes, so I'm rather unmotivated at the moment.

Report only on the dialogue that you feel relevant in any way to the LP - and keep the amount low. The tranquil thingie could've been made with one screenshot and only a couple of dialogue lines.

I am beginning to realize Torment wasn't awesome because of it's DIALOGUE C&C, it was because they didn't treat the player like a total retard.

Then again they had it easy with the amnesia thing. But still, SARCASM? IRONY? IN MY DIALOGUE? XBOX SALES WILL SUFFER!

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-34-42-65.jpg

This is so surreal it reminds me of jRPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom