Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > Come for the games, stay because we have compromising material of you

RoSoDude
RoSoDude
And yet I've spent most of my time hacking my way at spaghetti code and implementing UI in Unreal Engine 1. :despair:

What brings you to the land of Deus Ex mods, my friend? Er, get out of here, Denton! This is none of your business.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Who doesn't like DX? Last playthrough was with Shifter+Biomod but GMDX looks so orgasmic that I really want to replay the game with it. of course, now I am stuck waiting for your enhanced edition definitive director's cut superfix.

Incidentally, a relative of mine contributed some text to 2027 and moderated the russian-speaking DX community, so enthusiasm for this game is in my blood, really.
RoSoDude
RoSoDude
Awesome, I really appreciate the enthusiasm. Puts healthy pressure on me to make it great. Thanks for the tentative mod title as well.

Cool that you know someone connected to 2027. I felt those guys really "got" DX in both gameplay and setting, and pushed it in some novel directions.

Once I'm done with the project I should have time to do a run of your TW3 modpack, so that'll be a nice exchange as well. :salute:
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Cool, I marked down February 17, 2021 in my calendar (totally accurate estimate)

I'm just a dude who edits the occasional .xml file - if I had to write my own code for the game I'd probably slit my wrists. Maybe take the time to play the Nameless Mod instead - it is overflowing with love for DX, and contains quite a lot of interesting design decisions and tweaks of DX that might inspire you.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
2027 is a bit of a legend in the russian-speaking DX community, mostly because it has been in development for ages - as all good mods are, I suppose. While much of the community helped out I believe it was primarily the brainchild of a single forum poster, who started to work on it when he was still in mid or late teens.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Very impressive I think, a shame that the mod is kind of overlooked in the english-speaking community due to the flawed translation.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
here is one more comment to show my disdain for the character limit, public decorum, and the concept of short and pleasant exchanges
RoSoDude
RoSoDude
Nooo, don't cut me that kind of slack on the deadline :|

I think an English dub for 2027 would make a difference, but damn is that a tall order. Sucks that it's virtually unknown despite great level design, new and overhauled weapons/tools, condensed RPG systems, an awesome soundtrack and story, etc.

Definitely need to get around to TNM as well, but I have so many other classics on the backlog and so little time.
RoSoDude
RoSoDude
Well, really, I just waste too much time. But no easy way out of that one.

You're right, I feel like I had more to say but the 420 char limit ruined the flow of my thoughts. Damn.
RoSoDude
RoSoDude
Oh, I must say though, the sign of an inclined TW3 modder is telling me to play a Deus Ex mod instead :obviously: That's how I know you've got your head screwed on straight about game design.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
>"inclined"
>"""modder"""

I do find game design fascinating. I enjoy modifying rules-light PnP systems to different settings that I want to run campaigns in and dealing with the design challenges that entails. I'm not quite Mr. Spector, maybe more like Romero during Daikatana's development.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Btw, I fucked around in GMDX9.3 and noticed that while mantling is awesome for mobility, it does break mobility puzzles starting with the bunker and back door statue entrance, which is kind of disappointing. Granted, stacking boxes was not particularly engaging, but at least required some effort compared to just jumping around the place.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Did you modify the mantling strength with this in mind, or is it going to be as easy to get in with, say, untrained athletics? regardless not the biggest problem in the world (I assume if mantling allowed you to break the game in more substantial ways it wouldn't have been a part of GMDX)
RoSoDude
RoSoDude
Mantling has been discussed to death, with no obvious conclusion either way. It makes movement a lot more natural and de-emphasizes the overly valuable Speed Enhancement aug, but trivializes some movement puzzles. Many of these have been adjusted with mantling in mind (the Lib Island back entrance has its crate stacks moved to require a more precise jump OR the use of a box IIRC), but can't all be addressed.
RoSoDude
RoSoDude
I'm actually waffling on reverting my Athletics mantling reach changes, since I don't feel they have proper feedback to the player and Athletics must compete with Aqualung, and also since the mod must be balanced with mantling on and off, making it risky to attach too much much value to the skill. It could simply be too attractive for players, if not for explicit build reasons than just for movement fluidity.
RoSoDude
RoSoDude
I share your concern about this tradeoff, though. I've been trying to find ways to resolve it (hence my Athletics scaling, which was one of the first things I messed around with doing), but I'm not confident about the results. I actually enjoy tedious box stacking puzzles, but admit that the ability to climb up waist-high walls seems a general improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom