Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
newtmonkey
Reactions
1,312 5,234 1 65 1 15

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• [Playing] Final Fantasy V (SFC), Lurking Immortui (PC), Artifact Adventure (PC) | [Finished] Mother (FC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    It's really great imo, but only if you are into the 8-bit JRPGs (or perhaps the more exploration-focused parts of FF5/6). The story is basically non-existent, it's definitely a throwback to DQ3, just completely wide open for exploration.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I definitely recommend choosing the airship as your artifact, as it allows you to go pretty much anywhere in the game right from the start. Having said that, the first time I tried it, it didn't hook me at all either. Second try took about an hour for it to interest me.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    But I also love Dragon Quest 2/3 and the nonlinear parts of FF5/6, so ymmv.
    [Playing] Dark Souls III (PC), Yomi wo Saku Hana (Switch), Mother (FC) | [Finished] Breath of Fire II (SFC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I am going with Pyro in DS3 (first time through was greatsword melee). Tons of fun and it gets overpowered from midgame. I mentioned this in the DS3 thread, but I could not believe how trivial Pontiff Sulyvahn and the Dancer were with Pyro. It's like a different game.
    NJClaw
    NJClaw
    My biggest surprise with a pyromancer is how much it can trivialize Midir. You can take him down in just a couple of minutes, while usually it's the longest and grindiest fight in the game.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I didn't do much of the DLC the first time through, so it's good to hear I can trivialize that fight too haha.
    [Playing] Dark Souls III (PC), Yomi wo Saku Hana (Switch), Breath of Fire II (SFC) | [Finished] Dark Souls II: SOTFS (PC)
    [Now playing] Baldur's Gate (PC), Diablo (PC), Bloodborne (PSNOW) | [Last finished] Dark Souls III (PC)
    NJClaw
    NJClaw
    Personally, I love everything from Demon's Souls to Sekiro. I can see where each entry fails, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying what it gets right. They are part of the very short list of games I enjoyed enough to try ironman runs.
    NJClaw
    NJClaw
    Bloodborne is an incredibly good game, but it's painful to play on such a shitty hardware. With hacks it maintains 60 FPS most of the time on the PS5, but the drops to 20-30 in the most crowded areas are like knives in the eyes.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Well, we can only hope that Bloodborne somehow gets ported to PC one of these days (so that I can actually play it, and you can enjoy it on better hardware). Once I finish Lords of the Fallen (it's okay) I'll probably tackle Sekiro next.
    [Now playing] Baldur's Gate (PC), Diablo (PC), Dark Souls (PC) | [Last finished] Curse of the Azure Bonds (PC)
    NJClaw
    NJClaw
    I think the only things preventing it from becoming a REAL genre-defining success are a couple of very absurd design choices that can only be explained with Owlcat's inexperience. I still can't believe they left in the game stuff like Entangle lasting for multiple IRL minutes even outside of combat.
    Thac0
    Thac0
    Also at least according to Tacgnol the adventure module is fucking shit in the second half, and Owlcat had to do one hell of patching it up so it made sense. Which explains the rapid decline of quality in the second half of the game, as ressources get stretched thin.
    Tacgnol
    Tacgnol
    Yeah they made quite a bit of effort to fill in plot holes and generally expand the narrative. One of the big criticisms of the AP is that Nyrissa gets fuck all characterisation or presence until the final book. Owlcat tried to give her more presence throughout the entire AP.
    [Now playing] Final Fantasy VIII (PSX), Pathfinder: Kingmaker (PC) | [Just finished] Curse of the Azure Bonds (PC)
    Citizen
    !unsubscribe
    [Now playing] Final Fantasy 8 (PSX), Curse of the Azure Bonds (PC), Realms Of Antiquity (TI-99) | [Just finished] Ultima III: Exodus (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I like the junction system and the backgrounds haha. There's really not much to recommend about it, but I want to finish all the FF games from 1-9, and all I have left to complete is 5, 8, and 9.
    Thac0
    Thac0
    It has so much potential, but the game is constantly tripping over it's own feet. Junctioning would be pretty cool, if not for the amount of spells junctioned influencing your stats that much. That makes casting a junctioned spell actively stupid in almost all cases, and turns the game into a boring auto attack slog.
    The backgrounds are nice tho.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Agreed. It's too bad they never revisited the junction system. Imagine a nonlinear game where you could go explore the world to hunt down powerful spells to junction to stats, etc. It's shame such an interesting system was stuck in such a ridiculous game.
    [Now playing] Breath of Fire II (SFC), Tenchi Souzou (SFC), Realms Of Antiquity (TI-99), Ultima III: Exodus (PC)
    [Now playing] Inindo (SFC), Stranger of Sword City (PC), Star Ocean (SFC), Lurking Immortui (PC)
    CryptRat
    CryptRat
    The Dark Heart of Uukrul is definitely somewhere on the very top of the list of games I never even try but need to play.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    It's a great great with a very tight design, but maybe a bit too much focused on puzzles (at the expense of combat and character development) for me. It's still a lot of fun, so I hope to complete it this year.
    [Currently playing] Illusion of Gaia, Stranger of Sword City, Ultima: Exodus, The Dark Heart of Uukrul
    Maxie
    how many of these do you actually enjoy
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Listed in my profile now? All of them are enjoyable.
    [Currently playing] Stranger of Sword City, Estpolis Denki, Ultima: Exodus, The Dark Heart of Uukrul
    Thac0
    Thac0
    Yeah I almost assumed as such. Even the modern generic "hard" JRPGs like SaGa and SMT are several notches below Isometric rpgs on max difficulty when it comes to challenge. Even mild shit like PoE on max is harder than any JRPG.

I guess it has always been this way then, with western blobbers being the pinnacle of difficulty usually.
    Grauken
    Grauken
    Eh, I think that is overstated, played DW2 on the NES a couple of years ago and don't remember it being particularly hard
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Many JRPG fans are brain damaged, there is no other explanation. All you need to do is read GameFAQS boards and also the FAQs to realize this. A lot of these people enjoy spending hours and hours grinding easy combats so they can sail through the game "to enjoy the story" lol.
    [Currently playing] Dragon Warrior II, Ultima: Exodus, The Dark Heart of Uukrul
    Tweed
    Tweed
    Just don't cry when you finish DQ2.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I finished it when I was a kid, replaying it now :)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I finished this earlier today and instead of crying I had a glass of cognac.
    !!PLAY MORE RPGS!!
    NJClaw
    NJClaw
    But, honestly, I didn't get the combat and the underlying system at all. Stats hardly matter, and "dancing" around the enemies isn't much fun. There are like four worthwhile encounters in the entire game that aren't just a "hop around the enemy until it dies".
    Thac0
    Thac0
    Yeah, that is a problem that all real time blobbers share to a degree, at least from those I have experienced. It is certainly more fun with turn based combat.
    Grimrocks combat is bearable, better in the second entry, and I found it more fun with ranged heavy parties since it almost handles like an odd shooter rpg hybrid and the ammo management part kicks in.
    You play that genre for the dungeons.
    Thac0
    Thac0
    Maybe try MMX if you have a heart for the Heroes of Might and Magic series, it is turn based, gridlocked and pretty good. Not as good as Grimrock tho, I never finished it since it heavily drops off a few dozen hours in imo.
    Wiz8 is a good recommendation aswell, but do yourself a favor and speedhack the game. Ultra slow gameplay otherwise.
    [Currently playing] Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World, Dragon Warrior II, Lurking: Immortui, Swords & Sorcery: Underworld
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I guess it's just the culture of the site. It's hyper focused, and nothing outside of that focus get attention. It just seems like this place should be doing cartwheels over games like Lurking I/II, Swords & Sorcery, Dungeons of Chaos, and Legends of Amberland (maybe there were some news posts about LoA).
    CryptRat
    CryptRat
    I've not played M&M1 and I don't remember 3 well, I love the series and there are things I really like about M&M2, the combat system, the class quests. The optional levels in the castles are cool levels. Cool gfx, save in town instead of forced ironman of early Wizardries, the UI is perfect (no need for a mouse when there's no pointing).
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Cryptrat, if you've ever got like 50-70 hours to spare, definitely consider playing M&M1. I really think if you liked the combat and optional stuff in M&M2 you'd love M&M1. The interface is basically the same. I've now put maybe 10-12 hours into M&M2 and I prefer M&M1 for exploration and combat (though M&M2 is definitely great).
    [Currently playing] Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World, Hillsfar
    Sometimes I need to block a lot of people to filter out the nonsense when I am just trying to read about computer role-playing games.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Once I get the information I'm looking for, I remove everyone from my blocklist other than the genuine shitposters, so it's only temporary.
    Bruma Hobo
    Bruma Hobo
    You're just rubbing salt.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I can't remember why I ignored you, it was probably a mistake while I was drunkenly ignoring a long stretch of the typical RPGCodex anime people, posters who have never played a CRPG outside of two or three released in the late 90s, etc. etc.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom