Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > people who don't like the art style are retro-fascists

fork
fork
don't miss 칠학년일반 (uhm, chilhagnonilban), my saddest kpop memory. They tried so hard for two years, and even managed the mbc stage, but ultimately failed. So sad. They were better than 99% are today. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYDMsqqvmo
fork
fork
be aware, kpop is a fucking rabbit hole though.
Nigfy
Nigfy
fork
fork
kpop did around the time, yeah. one of the most iconic songs ever. it's not my personal favourite, but fuck the video is awesome! (and of course the song is great as well, but there are so many songs which are even better!)
fork
fork
i wish i had a 4k version of that video
fork
fork
but seriously, imagine following this promising girl group at the other end of the world getting more and better gigs every month, from school halls to promotional events and suddenly even tv stages and professional music videos.
And then, suddenly again, they kinda disappear completely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4uM9evS8I
Nigfy
Nigfy
how did you even start following this obscure group?
fork
fork
I'm not quite sure. But I was following the professional Broodwar scene in Korea at the time, which got me into kpop. Maybe it was a post in teamliquid.net's kpop thread, or maybe youtube recommended it to me at the time.
fork
fork
Whatever it was, I was obsessed and regularly searched for new fancams (이랑!) at the time. But I still think they were better than almost anything modern. Hell, I think they could have competed back then.
Nigfy
Nigfy
wow, i was also following the BW scene but i didn't go deep into kpop at the time. The current bw scene makes me sad
fork
fork
I can't really comment on that, but from what I understand, BW is still bigger than Starcraft 2? Well, that's the past for sure though, and not much more than glorious memories. Starcraft will be forgotton by the history books, despite it being the only real e-sport that will ever have existed.
fork
fork
Just like 칠학년일반 will be forgotten, and probably even Crayon Pop.
Nigfy
Nigfy
No, it has been quite small for a long time now. There is no pro scene anymore and only one large tournament remains. It's completely dominated by old pros and no newcomers can rise to their level. Its the twilight years
fork
fork
You did watch/listen to some Crayon Pop, right?
Nigfy
Nigfy
i'll do it tomorrow i'm focusing on t-ara now
fork
fork
<3
티아라 are definitely worth focusing on! But try to develop a sense for when the success went to their head (or rather, their management's). It's really important to develop that sense, or you won't be able to understand why 2010 kpop was better than 2021 kpop is.
fork
fork
Crayon Pop > T-Ara though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_F392ir7Q

T-Ara gets bonus points for being great despite being succesful as (although they declined tremendously over time, with becoming more and more succesful).

Crayon Pop got even better towards the end of their career imo.
Nigfy
fork
fork
Nigfy
Nigfy
I suppose so, the bo peep video is 1000x times better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom