Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
newtmonkey
Reactions
1,312 5,234 1 65 1 15

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• [Playing] TES IV: Oblivion (PC), Titan Quest (PC), SaGa 2 (GB) | [Finished] TES V: Skyrim (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Finished Skyrim for the first time... underwhelming. I only did the main quest, as I didn't find it interesting enough to do the DLCs, etc. Maybe some other time.
    [Playing] Skyrim (PC), Lennus (SFC), SaGa 2 (GB) | [Finished] Star Ocean (SFC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just completed Star Ocean for the Super Famicom. A mess of a game, but a good foundation for the excellent sequel.
    [Playing] Exile: Escape from the Pit (PC), Star Ocean (SFC) | [Finished] Torchlight II (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Finally completed Torchlight II (Outlander). I really liked this! A much greater focus on moving around and avoiding attacks than other games I've played of this style.
    rusty_shackleford
    rusty_shackleford
    Have you already played Avernum or just playing Vogel's games chronologically?
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    rusty_shackleford
    I haven't completed Avernum, but played it a bit. I try to play through originals before remakes whenever I can. I did complete Avadon, Queen's Wish (lol), and Geneforge earlier this year.
    [Playing] Torchlight II (PC), Star Ocean (SFC) | [Finished] Diablo (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just completed Diablo for the first time. I played as a Rogue, and it was pretty fun. I didn't do the Hellfire expansion.
    [Playing] Exile: Escape from the Pit (PC), Diablo (PC), Ys IV (PCE), Tengai Makyo ZIRIA (PCE) | [Finished] Grim Dawn (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Grim Dawn. Lots of fun! I will definitely play it again someday with a different class, and will probably skip the DLCs next time. I regretted not playing on "Veteran" as the game is way too easy on "Normal."
    [Playing] Grim Dawn (PC), Frayed Knights (PC), Ys IV (PCE), Tengai Makyo ZIRIA (PCE) | [Finished] Shadowrun Returns (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Shadowrun Returns (it turns out I was only a couple missions from the end). Not bad! I thought I wouldn't like the cyberpunk/fantasy mix, but it was alright.
    Derringer
    I doubt the tengai makyo games will ever get patches unless someone put the effort into doing it, I still haven't played them fully yet, but from what I played Ziria is an alright Dragon Quest clone, it's just really linear. The voice acting helps to carry it.
    [Playing] Shadowrun Returns (PC), Ys IV (PCE), Tengai Makyo ZIRIA (PCE) | [Finished] Eschalon: Book I (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just completed Eschalon: Book I (pure mage). I liked it more than I thought I would, but there's only so much you do with a turn-based single-character RPG (that's not a roguelike). Good exploration.
    [Playing] Eschalon Book I (PC), Ys IV (PCE), Tengai Makyo ZIRIA (PCE) | [Finished] Icewind Dale (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just completed Icewind Dale (original version, with both expansions). Great game! I think I liked it even more than Baldur's Gate.
    [Playing] Icewind Dale (PC), Ys IV (PCE), Tengai Makyo ZIRIA (PCE) | [Finished] Baldur's Gate (PC)
    [Playing] Baldur's Gate (PC), Sora no Kiseki FC (PC), Phantasy Star II (MD) | [Finished] Geneforge (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Geneforge as a power-hungry Shaper not allied with anyone. The combat isn't great, but the exploration, concept/story, and writing are all top-tier. A masterpiece.
    [Playing] Geneforge (PC) Phantasy Star II (MD) | [Finished] Mother 2 (SFC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I completed Mother 2 just now. It was good, but I didn't like it as much as Mother (Famicom). A bit too goofy, and way too easy.
    [Playing] Geneforge (PC), Mother 2 (SFC) | [Finished] Avadon (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Finished Avadon after years of on and off playing. It was alright. Better than Queen's Wish, not as good as the classic SWS games. I ended up siding with Redbeard.
    [Playing] Nox Archaist (Apple II), Avadon (PC), Mother 2 (SFC) | [Finished] Super Mario RPG (SNES)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Super Mario RPG. It was a charming little game, but a bit too simplistic. Some of the platforming near the end was very annoying.
    rusty_shackleford
    rusty_shackleford
    I had super mario rpg for the SNES as a kid, I accidentally broke the cartridge near the end, was very upset.
    [Playing] Super Mario RPG (SNES), Phantasy Star II (MD) | [Finished] Ultima II (Apple)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Glad to get Ultima II over with. There's a good concept in the center of all the jank and garbage, but what a mess of a game this is.
    Maxie
    Maxie
    mario = based
    Vlajdermen
    Vlajdermen
    Sega is the only company I trust with jrpgs, because they are the only ones who proved themselves
    [Playing] Ultima II (A2), Super Mario RPG (SNES), Phantasy Star II (MD) | [Finished] Ember (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Ember. It was a nice little surprise; not a bad game for a tablet/phone game port.
    Thac0
    Thac0
    Interesting that you liked it, had it floating around in my wishlist for a while, eventually removed it because of mobile origin + general dislike for hack & slash genre. The aesthetics have a certain charm, nice to hear it is not shovelware.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Thac0
    Don't get me wrong, it's not anything amazing, but it's decent. It's not really hack & slash like Diablo, more like a very simple Baldur's Gate. It only really drags during the last 10% of the game imo.
    [Playing] Elden Ring (PC), Ember (PC), Elminage (PSP), Wild Arms (PSX) | [Finished] Queen's Wish (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Queen's Wish. A 40-hour slog that would have been a decent enough 20-hour trifle.
    [Playing] Elden Ring (PC), Queen's Wish (PC), Elminage (PSP), Wild Arms (PSX) | [Finished] Operencia (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    For Operencia, my party was: Mage, Joska (STR/INT split damage dealer), Mezey (STR/VIG split tank), and Kela (STR damage dealer). It's good to see that the game allows for different types of parties!
    Jinn
    Jinn
    You liking Wild ARMs? Generally feels pretty underrated to me. I'm a fan. Great setting, some very cool lore, nice atmosphere, interesting challenge spikes, beautiful soundtrack, great "exploration" spirtework, generally fun and satisfying puzzling that doesn't get in the way.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Yeah, Wild Arms is great. Awesome soundtrack and exploration, and I really like the magic system, which gives you some great flexibility even from the start.
    [Playing] Elden Ring (PC), Operencia (PC), Elminage (PSP), Wild Arms (PSX) | [Finished] Final Fantasy VIII (PSX)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just completed FF8. It's my least favorite in the series (out of FF1-8), but I found it to be enjoyable enough. Poor story, worse characters, but awesome backgrounds and the junction/GF system is fun.
    [Playing] Exile (PC), Elminage: Original (PSP), FF8 (PSX) | [Finished] Shard of Spring (Apple II)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just completed Shard of Spring. It's very basic, but surprisingly fun with some good combat and dungeon delving. Worth a play for fans of Ultima III.
    A horse of course
    No!
    [Playing] AD&D: Secret of the Silver Blades (PC), Shard of Spring (Apple II) | [Finished] Final Fantasy V (SFC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Finally completed FF5 after a year or two of on and off playing. I've completed FF1-7 now, and I'd rank it toward the top of the series overall.
    [Playing] Final Fantasy V (SFC), AD&D: Secret of the Silver Blades (PC) | [Finished] Ys III (PCE)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Ys III was much shorter than I remember. PCE version blows the SNES version away in every aspect except parallax scrolling, with noticeably better hit detection—it actually plays like a decent action game. Great soundtrack.
    [Playing] Final Fantasy V (SFC), AD&D: Secret of the Silver Blades (PC) | [Finished] Ys I/II (PCE)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Ys I/II on PCE. Great music, fun boss fights, but lots of big empty mazes bring it down toward the end.
    [Playing] Final Fantasy V (SFC), AD&D: Secret of the Silver Blades (PC) | [Finished] Phantasie (Apple II)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Phantasie. Great game, especially for 1985!
    [Playing] Final Fantasy V (SFC), Phantasie (Apple) | [Finished] Lurking Immortui (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Lurking Immortui now. Awesome game, highly recommended for fans of Ultima III-V.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom