Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > Come for the games, stay because we have compromising material of you

whydoibother
whydoibother
A song I'm ashamed for recognizing. I was part of that KVLT metalhead movement here that hated pop-folk, but we all ended up knowing the hits just by how often they were played everywhere - cafes, cars, radios on benches at the park, lousy leaky headphones, etc.
Üstad
Üstad
> but we all ended up knowing the hits just by how often they were played everywhere

I know that feel.

And I only posted to that make you shame, lol.
Üstad
Üstad
In good old days there were alt music cultures freely hating pop and other garbage. Nowadays everything merged and created a ugly giant blob.
whydoibother
whydoibother
I got a lot of hate for writing this on the Codex a few months ago, but modern music culture seems to be just what black men say is cool. Everyone is doing what black american men in their 30-40s think is the "next cool thing", the music, the lyrics, the videos, the costumes they wear even, their obnoxious tattoos.
whydoibother
whydoibother
And of course whatever the USA does, everyone else eventually adopts, because of their huge cultural push via mass media and internet. Even as little as 20 years ago, there were very strong musical niches. Your dad's rock wasn't the nu-metal, wasn't rap music, wasn't bubblegum pink pop music, wasn't radio friendly pop-rock, wasn't club techno, wasn't radio friendly house/techno. Now its all very amalgamated.
Üstad
Üstad
I had similar idea but I was having hard time to put it in meaningful words. The current music culture is more industry than culture. They dig about what will be the next hype and stuff. Zero fuck about quality.
Üstad
Üstad
I mean every music alt culture represented a group of people. Like rap representing ghetto blacks, rock emerged as working class white American music etc.

The current music is shit because gen Z is shit. Since everything merged into a giant ugly blob, thanks to social media, music culture inevitably followed it.
whydoibother
whydoibother
Not enough gatekeeping. There used to be a lot of "that's not real metal" or "that's not real hiphop". Techno nerds would get mad about house music. Don't see many people on either side of the techno/rap divide saying that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIDh-qI9oI isn't real techno/rap/whatever. Its a good song, with a good performance and a good video, but its so safe, general and radio friendly.
whydoibother
whydoibother
I am more inclined to think that these social groups are downstream from culture. Culture makes groups, rather than groups making culture. Techno music came before the techno nerds, metal came before the metalheads. Metal music made the metalhead culture. So I think its backwards from what you say.
Üstad
Üstad
The backwards thing it's interesting take. But the first steps of culture emerged among these people before their alt-music culture solidified.

An alt-culture gives a birth to alt-music culture. But obviously it takes time to be spread through.
Üstad
Üstad
Since we are not able to see this happening, we just see it when it emerged as full-fledged music culture.

My English is obstructing me to make it clear but I wrote anyway.
whydoibother
whydoibother
I get what you are saying, but I don't think its right.
Daft Punk have a song that samples an interview with Georgio, the guy who basically created a sound. Not a group or a culture, he was a disco DJ that just started doing techno and it caught on among disco listeners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhl-Cs1-sG4 The song starts with the disco sound, the interview, and transitions into more techno.
whydoibother
whydoibother
And basically the sound came before the people asking for it, who would like it and spread it and produce it. Just one guy did one thing, and it caught on. This is kind of like how religions start, they are after all religious movements. And maybe you can say that there already was a preestablished need for "judaism for arabs", but Islam is obviously much more than that.
Üstad
Üstad
Point taken.

Do you think rap, rock or other genres emerged in a similar way? Maybe some of them emerge in a different way?
whydoibother
whydoibother
As far as I know, rap emerged from black performative poetry. Basically people ranting or dissing each other in rhyme. At one point synthesizers became cheap and easy to use, so they started sampling pop and rock music to use as background for said performances, and whitey liked the raw energy of it (same with jazz earlier, then rock too) and it went mainstream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom