Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > Come for the games, stay because we have compromising material of you

Humbaba
Humbaba
"Unfortunately what is missed in this video, is the deep entanglement between the state and mafia/organized crime organizations in Turkey."

I didn't know Turkey was Kosovo.
whydoibother
whydoibother
Well, Police vs Army vs Spies sounds like a very bad conflict to have.
Here its Government vs President vs Courts vs Russia. Battlelines are being redrawn, but ultimately most of it is resolved in media spats and delayed court cases, or the petty police search in the AM in front of your kids. No fighting on the street yet. I hope you don't get any too.
CyberWhale
CyberWhale
Any books/podcasts in English that cover the last couple of years properly? Or will internal divisions of Turkish society always remain shrouded behind veils to everyone northwest of Bosphorus?
Humbaba
Humbaba
Tons. It's just that Turkish history is not taught to westoids (or even Balkaners) because Turkey isn't considered European. Turkish nationalists are partially to blame for this, because they are also of the opinion that Turkey isn't exactly European either.
Humbaba
Humbaba
You need to study modern Turkish history to properly appreciate what AK Parti has done for the country. A shame that the economy is in the shitter now.
CyberWhale
CyberWhale
Concrete sources (on the current situation) please. Less buzzing, more honey-making lil' bee.
Humbaba
Humbaba
Bruh use google scholar and libgen like a normal person
Üstad
Üstad
I honestly don't know any English source I highly suggest you to disregard podcasts and videos made by youtubers. They are doomed to be retarded usually only show the glimpse of truth, they are for dumbasses only seeking the illusion of being knowledged.
No wonder why our propoganda power is low, lol.
CyberWhale
CyberWhale
Yeah, Turks don't seem to be interested in sharing their history/politics/worldview in English (you know, the international language of the whole fucking world). English Wikipedia on some obscure Ottoman figures is pretty much always bare or non-existing. Also ties into our earlier convos and my remarks on Turks not speaking English that often. So weird. :/
CyberWhale
CyberWhale
You should see it as an opportunity and make a YT channel where you cover the latest news and provide background on those issues. You'll improve your English language skills that way. You might also end up in prison, but life is a journey n shieet.
Humbaba
Humbaba
Am I being ignored on purpose here or what, I just told you where to find sauces in English
CyberWhale
CyberWhale
Yes.
Humbaba
Humbaba
Ta qi nonen vallah
CyberWhale
CyberWhale
Sorry, don't speak Orcish. Basically, I've asked for specific titles, providing links to well known har har websites isn't particularly useful.
Humbaba
Humbaba
Is there a particular reason why you're unable to use those sites? Have your hands fallen off?
whydoibother
whydoibother
"I highly suggest you to disregard podcasts and videos made by youtubers"
Bro, why you assault me like that? I can't read books while pretending to work on the other monitor.
Looking at my bookshelf, the closest thing I have to a book on Turkey is the classical greek philosophy texts. I should probably pick something up.
whydoibother
whydoibother
CyberWhale
CyberWhale
whydoibother Erdogan Rising: The Battle for the Soul of Turkey by Hannah Lucinda Smith has an audiobook version. The main issue with these books is that I have no idea if they are legit or not. Most (popular) books and documentaries on Yugoslavia seem barebones and sometimes outright bullshit which makes me suspicious of any commentary, especially contemporary ones.
Humbaba
Humbaba
No, westoids are always wrong on modern Turkey and know next to nothing about its history. You should read Turkish journals like Insight Turkey.
Üstad
Üstad
I checked both books CyberWhale's suggested book author seems like a totally clueless outsider, I would stay away from generic oriantalists. Also I was going to suggest İlber Ortaylı's book about political history but even that is not translated, which is odd because he is a very well respected historian. Not your avarage good for nothing only repeating bullshit in academic circles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom