Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview “It's more like a Tarantino approach": Cyberpunk 2077 Interview at IGN

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ya'll act as if you were actually secretly holding your breath for this game to be TB.

Not at all, we knew this was going to be an action game. The reason for the reaction is that in beginning they said they wanted to be closer to the basis (i.e. the P&P) and they wouldn't do like with the Witcher. Which gave hope for a more Deus Ex/Hybrid/Whatever experience. You know, skills have more impact, that kind of stuff.

That got me optimistic.

This quote throws that compeltely out the window. It's very clear ("active skills") that they're going for a BioShock/Dishonored-type thing. Which is to say completely action-focused shooter mechanics, only active skills that all act as immediate one-off concepts, and probably a tight split between different playstyles. And so on and so forth.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think they could have gone the Witcher 1 route with this game; polishing the mechanics while still retaining its more action oriented theme.
I doubt anyone would enjoy it if they went halfsies on it.

Troika had the right idea with Bloodlines when they made any given attack do its maximum damage (unless your opponent succeeds one or more of their defense rolls), too bad they fucked up with the extreme randomized accuracy that isn't affected by the character system at all but inherent in the guns themselves.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unfortunately because of GOG CD Projekt will never go bankrupt... but I can still hope they do.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ya'll act as if you were actually secretly holding your breath for this game to be TB.
It's very clear ("active skills") that they're going for a BioShock/Dishonored-type thing. Which is to say completely action-focused shooter mechanics, only active skills that all act as immediate one-off concepts, and probably a tight split between different playstyles. And so on and so forth.

I still say wait and see, but if they really go with a mechanic as simplistic as that, then I'll simply give this thing a pass.
Point is saying fuckoff to such a game will be so damn easy in the year when the new Torment and a slew of other incline games (Grimoire, possibly? ;) ) will come out.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This cvv seems pretty butthurt.

Who wants to guess which country he is from?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
CDP is pretty horrible at making actionry combat systems, I can't wait for this!
They've hired a bunch of non-Polish peoples to help work on both Witcher 3 and this. Patrick K Mills from Alpha Protocol's a designer on Cyberpunk, he'll steer 'em right by telling them what not to do from experience. :yeah:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mass Effect main plotline is ripped straight from Frederick Pohl's Gateway which is one of the most brilliant sci-fi novels ever written.

I suggest you read the book again.

Read the whole series - an ancient space station built by long gone alien race, humans discover it, start to explore nearby universe, in the process contacting the mysterious Proteans Heechee and also discovering there's a superpowerfull AI race hell bent on destroying all life. That's the main premise of Gateway, clearly lifted by Beware scribblers for the ME series. I haven't played ME3 so I don't know what dumb ending they topped it off with but from what I've seen in ME1/ME2 it's an shameless uncredited "inspiration".

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mass Effect main plotline is ripped straight from Frederick Pohl's Gateway which is one of the most brilliant sci-fi novels ever written.

I suggest you read the book again.

Read the whole series - an ancient space station built by long gone alien race, humans discover it, start to explore nearby universe, in the process contacting the mysterious Proteans Heechee and also discovering there's a superpowerfull AI race hell bent on destroying all life. That's the main premise of Gateway, clearly lifted by Beware scribblers for the ME series. I haven't played ME3 so I don't know what dumb ending they topped it off with but from what I've seen in ME1/ME2 it's an shameless uncredited "inspiration".

Yeah, I just read a summary of the series and I can see that ME draws some inspiration from it.

MasPingon

Arcane
You're being silly now, I just cannot stand the "saving the world" plotline anymore.

Can't stand saving the world plotline anymore, praises Mass Effect for it's mature story. CDPR target audience

You're just a poor clueless dumbfuck, are you?

So, ripping ideas from appreciated sci-fi novel makes your game storyline deep and mature. That's some really nice implication, 2013 newfag.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ maspingon dude, you could just have countered that mass effect is horribly written

should suffice

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Buying rights for Cyberpunk, ripping off it's mechanics and making a third person shooter seems completely rational to me. That's why we have so much faith in you here, CDPR. Keep up the good work.
yeeah... i've played cp 2020 and 2013 and trashing the entirety of its mechanics other than a few core ideas is the only rational thing to do.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane

Mass Effect one of the most brilliant sci-fi novels ever written.

fDP0zcH.gif

Kz3r0

Arcane
yeeah... i've played cp 2020 and 2013 and trashing the entirety of its mechanics other than a few core ideas is the only rational thing to do.
Why even bother taking Pondsmith on board then?
AAA+ 101.
Nothing different from Hollywood hiring renown writers for making movies completely different from the original book.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Interview It's more like a Tarantino approach": Cyberpunk 2077 Interview at IGN

:x

MasPingon

Arcane

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Hai guys, what's u....

“The main problem is that the original system is based on dice rolls. When you think about Cyberpunk you think about shooting, action, a lot of explosions. But that doesn’t fit dice rolls in a video game. We want to make it more action-like – there will be a system that lets you use active skills actually in the gameplay in a shooting sequence or something like that, rather than just passive skills like in the books.”​

And yet again I am left flabbergasted at the sheer dumbfuckery of this statement.

As much as I agree that dice rolls and other nonsense are pretty much redundant, the fact that they cannot imagine gameplay beyond "assplosiuns" and action is just saddening. With this take nothing is more likely than that we will get a corridor shooter... except that a few paragraphs down they mock new rendition of Syndicate, so at the very least they have the vague idea about what not to do.

To play devil's advocate there are some neat promises in the interview, beyond that, e.g. the notes about "style and appearance" actually impacting gameplay is nothing to sniff at.

Also

It’s about telling story via what happens, not cutscenes or other features

That would be uplifting since this would mean they realized how TW2 was oversaturated with cutscenes. But how they are going to "tell the story" without resorting to cheap tricks (aka. cinematic approach0 is a mystery.

I remain sceptical about this project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom