Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview “It's more like a Tarantino approach": Cyberpunk 2077 Interview at IGN

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
7d1.jpg

MasPingon

Arcane
Gothic 1 and 2 were strongly stat based tho. What I'm reading from this PR bullshit is that all you can expect from Cybrerpunk 2077 is a skills based action adventure game. You can't see rpg in our rpgs?You are wrong, we turning off dislike button to prevent you from putting madness into our healthy consumers heads.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Reminder that if Pondsmith had a problem with CD Projekt's approach, he wouldn't have signed up with them.

I remember a lot of handwringing over the Neverwinter MMO's move away from dice rolls but from what I've read it looks like they ended up making a quality product.

It’s about telling story via what happens, not cutscenes or other features

That would be uplifting since this would mean they realized how TW2 was oversaturated with cutscenes. But how they are going to "tell the story" without resorting to cheap tricks (aka. cinematic approach0 is a mystery.

I remain sceptical about this project.
I could be off on this, but I think it means they're going to copy the approach from Obsidian's canceled Aliens project where dialogue happens in-world without switching to a cinematic camera or locking you in place.

Since I already have a new turn-based cyberpunk RPG to play, I look forward to this one doing something different. :cool:
I'm surprised you're looking forward to this given the quantity and brazenness of the "questionable content" sure to appear.
Is that a given? CD Projekt is Lesi approved and I liked DX:HR well enough which isn't (because of racism and Adam Jensen: white knight).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I remember a lot of handwringing over the Neverwinter MMO's move away from dice rolls but from what I've read it looks like they ended up making a quality product.
Nope.

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
I just fucking love how someone can dilute entire "Tarantino approach" to something that has to do with guns and explosions.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
As other people have said, I got enough incline coming in. Even if this ends up being a pew pew action adventure, as long as the atmosphere and the writing is ok titties look good, i'm game. Of course, having a proper RPG would be much better, but having only read bullshit PR interviews, I'm holding back my rage.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I just fucking love how someone can dilute entire "Tarantino approach" to something that has to do with guns and explosions.

Which is funny because some of the best moments in Taraninto's movies are the non-violent ones.

The Superman monologue from Kill Bill is a personal favorite of mine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Actually, the article does not directly equate the "guns and explosions" with a "Tarantino approach". Did you read it?

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron

Actually, the article does not directly equate the "guns and explosions" with a "Tarantino approach". Did you read it?

this
“The main problem is that the original system is based on dice rolls. When you think about Cyberpunk you think about shooting, action, a lot of explosions. But that doesn’t fit dice rolls in a video game. We want to make it more action-like – there will be a system that lets you use active skills actually in the gameplay in a shooting sequence or something like that, rather than just passive skills like in the books.”

plus

“We want to put more punk into ours. We do not want to make a dark and hopeless world. We are not doing Blade Runner. It will be full of rock and roll.”

is summarized (as well as the entire article) into "Tarantino's approach".. so yeah i'm convinced thats what they meant.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

this
“The main problem is that the original system is based on dice rolls. When you think about Cyberpunk you think about shooting, action, a lot of explosions. But that doesn’t fit dice rolls in a video game. We want to make it more action-like – there will be a system that lets you use active skills actually in the gameplay in a shooting sequence or something like that, rather than just passive skills like in the books.”

plus

“We want to put more punk into ours. We do not want to make a dark and hopeless world. We are not doing Blade Runner. It will be full of rock and roll.”

is summarized (as well as the entire article) into "Tarantino's approach".. so yeah i'm convinced thats what they meant.

I believe only the second sentence you quoted is what they're defining as a Tarantino approach.

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
yeah you are right they didn't specify what they meant by that but it seems by others that it's actually the summary of the entire interview.. anyway we won't know what they meant exactly until 2015 so..

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who gives a ***?

We'll have Shadowrun Returns with an awesome editor (hopefully).
Just remove all the elves and magic stuff and write Cyberpunk on it. Done.

Also, I wouldn't mind this game not being a 1-to-1 PnP translation and focusing on action instead. I really, really liked DE:HR. And that descriptions sounded a lot like that game to me.... So why not?

Suddenly all games have to be CRPGs?
Or is it because they used that license of some game nobody has heard of since some decades?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Bloodlines combat was 100x better than beshitsda's..... so it was at least tolerable (I can't stand BGS shitbox combat).
for me it was about just as bad, but what made it much more bearable was the superb rest of the game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
CDProject's #1 target audience is Mass Accessibility. NOT for honoring or presenting a great PnP cRPG series to a video game.

Rest in peace as you are brutally raped Cyberpunk™.
Wat

Isn't the pnp getting a new edition along with this game and everything? This game might be popamole but Cyberpunk 2020 is getting more exposure right now than it ever did...Even if you consider its own cyberpunk genre, it always was way behind games like Shadowrun and GURPS Cyberpunk. If you're a fan of the pnp you should be happy regardless of how this turns out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom