Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview “It's more like a Tarantino approach": Cyberpunk 2077 Interview at IGN

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isn't the pnp getting a new edition along with this game and everything? This game might be popamole but Cyberpunk 2020 is getting more exposure right now than it ever did...Even if you consider its own cyberpunk genre, it always was way behind games like Shadowrun and GURPS Cyberpunk. If you're a fan of the pnp you should be happy regardless of how this turns out.
This has never worked out in the past.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mike Pondsmith is fully cooperating, so it might be fornication but it's not rape.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Cyberpunk™ just became WorthlessJunk™. I held such high hopes for this game. Damn you popamole hipster developers :(.
actuallyy, codexians are the hipsters who can't into mainstream.

the poles are just tired of getting paid in mashed potatoes...they wanna roll like Todd Howard now.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
If that were the case, he would have gone with all those other people who wanted to make Cyberpunk video games as well.

He thinks they'll get the 'feel' right, sure, and sacrifices the rest for that. Ultimately Pondsmith has always cared more for the style than the substance, just like the principle written in big bold in the rulebook. And it's not something most GMs and players got 'right' (according to his intentions), so no doubt he's overjoyed to be able to maneuver some way to capture that illusive beast with people who are at least old fans and want to get the thematics right.

I mean, he said fucking Grand Theft Auto 3 was Cyberpunk. He just wanted a game to get certain elements right.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So it'll be a watered down action RPG using a cool tabletop license...

You like VTMB, why you hate potatopunk?

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Who knows maybe after we get 'Fallout 3 Cyberpunk', we'll get Obsidian doing a 'New Vegas Cyberpunk'. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I just find the double standards here p. ridiculous. Troika either didn't implement or severely streamlined all the things from VtM, nothing on it works like on the tabletop and I've never seen anyone complain.

Meanwhile Cyberpunk doesn't use the exact same calculations and dice rolls so it's shit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just find the double standards here p. ridiculous. Troika either didn't implement or severely streamlined all the things from VtM, nothing on it works like on the tabletop and I've never seen anyone complain.

Meanwhile Cyberpunk doesn't use the exact same calculations and dice rolls so it's shit.
I don't care about die rolling, but the quote itself seems retarded. No one at Troika would have said "when you think of vampires you think of brawling with 6 mooks".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Who knows maybe after we get 'Fallout 3 Cyberpunk', we'll get Obsidian doing a 'New Vegas Cyberpunk'. :lol:
Yeah, let MCA design a few quests and suddenly, expecto patronum, we've got a brilliant sequel to the shitty first part.
Even though it's otherwise the same fucking game. :roll: :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

The fundamental difference is: Bloodlines is now a final product, Cyberpunk is currently being evaluated only as a
"vision" or design document. A game's vision is always supposed to represent the lofty and unrealistic goals that the developer claims to want to achieve. Inevitably a lot of the "vision" will be lost in the implementation of the final product and that is expected, but on the other hand if the "design doc" doesn't meet the high idealistic expectations from the beginning then you can only imagine how much worse the final product will end up.

If Bloodlines had been analysed when it was still just a design idea, it certainly would have been criticised as harshly for not translating the rules properly. When Cyberpunk becomes a final game, it will also have a lot more apologism and forgiveness thrown at it.

Whether this is a good or bad thing (probably a bit of both), it's reality

Rake

Arcane

Yeah, let MCA design a few quests and suddenly, expecto patronum, we've got a brilliant sequel to the shitty first part.
Even though it's otherwise the same fucking game. :roll: :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:
Well, if the gameplay is shit eitherway, the quest structure and the writting, atmpshere etc. make or break the game.

For me it's about expectations. I expect Cyberpunk to be shit. If they manage to pull somthing better than VtM:B of, i have no doubt that it will be in Codex top 10 RPGs of all time list. That doesn't mean i expect them to do it. I didn't expect much from Troika in Bloodlines either.
Tale for example Wasteland 2 or Chaos Chronicles. Both games could be shit, but i expect them to be good. PR speach and interviews are all about expectations, not the actual game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't care about die rolling, but the quote itself seems retarded. No one at Troika would have said "when you think of vampires you think of brawling with 6 mooks".
http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/05/06/new-vampire-game-coming
Larry Goldberg, executive vice president, Activision Worldwide Studios:
"Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines blends the best parts of an RPG and a first person action game, allowing players to explore a sophisticated character development system in an open non-linear realm while experiencing intense action sequences. We are going to take full advantage of Valve's Source Technology to send you deep into a dark and intriguing Vampire underworld filled with haunting images."
It's said that Bloodlines will be immediately familiar to any first-person shooter enthusiast, since it revolves heavily around action and features a massive arsenal, including, among other things, inherent vampiric skills and powers, stake guns, shotguns, flamethrowers, sub machineguns and sniper rifles. Like any traditional FPS, gamers are going to need this arsenal to kill things.

http://www.gamespot.com/vampire-the...e-bloodlines-designer-diary-2-6083943/?page=2
But here's the rub: Tabletop role-playing games do not translate well into computer games, especially real-time computer games. Dice rolls and randomness are fun, even if you are failing, when you are around a table filled with friends. They are not at all fun while sitting alone in front of your computer. Let me explain with two scenarios--the first a tabletop experience, the second in front of a monitor.

Pen-and-paper game: John levels his Desert Eagle at the sabbat war ghoul. With a perception attribute of five and a firearms score of three, there is no way he could miss. A fist full of dice hit the table, quickly followed by several gasps from those seated around the table. John's friend breaks character and starts busting up laughing. Not only did John miss, but he rolled four ones, which equates to a botch. The storyteller informs John that his gun has misfired. The slide blew back, hitting him in the face and taking half of his health. Then the storyteller continues..."The war ghoul, seeing that John is not an immediate threat, turns his attention towards his friend." John's friend is not laughing now, but John chuckles a bit.

Computer game: John levels his Desert Eagle at the sabbat war ghoul. With a perception attribute of five and a firearms score of three, there is no way he could miss. He fires. His gun explodes in his hands and takes half of his health. Loud cursing is quickly followed by the sounds of keyboard and mouse being smashed and thrown about. "What?! There is no way I should have missed that!!!" John helplessly shouts at his monitor. It takes the war ghoul two hits to send the now unarmed John to his final death. John's next thought: "Did I save the receipt for this game? Can I still return it?"

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/558109p2.html
The other side of the equation -- combat -- has also had its second-guessers during development. "We've been asked why we dropped the dice rolls in favor of going to a more direct method of combat control," said Boyarsky, addressing this question during the combat demonstration. In two separate demonstrations, he showed me a Ventrue in a sword fight against a group of Giovanni zombies and a animal-like Gangrel vampire using stealth powers to sneak through a bar.

In the first instance, I watched as the Ventrue went through an elaborate series of movements including vaulting over one zombie, grabbing it from behind and cutting its head off. In the second, the Gangrel managed to isolate one of the bar's guards and sneak up behind him for a stealth kill. Boyarsky made it clear that the fighting/combo and stealth systems weren't as elaborate as fighting or stealth games that were dedicated to that sort of gameplay, but neither did he run away from the fact that this type of combat implementation is worlds away from the traditional turn-based dice rolling combat of both the paper and pencil games and even Troika's earlier RPGs.

"Putting in a traditional combat system in a first-person game like this simply places an unnecessary layer between the player and the game world. It just felt wrong." More than that, though, it would doubtlessly be a waste of good material. Bloodlines is being built on Valve's Source engine, being used to power Half-Life 2 engine, arguably the most anticipated first person shooter of all time. Hobbling the first-person aspects of Bloodlines would be like putting training wheels on a Harley-Davidson.

"We're using the player's character skills to tweak the combat system so that it's as responsive as the player wants it to be," Boyarsky said. "It's more than just making the target reticle smaller and the hit radius wider as your marksmanship improves, it's also handicapping combat enough for a player with lower stats that it's impossible to get through the game just using your native twitch-based skills." According to Boyarsky, the Troika crew aren't rushing away from traditional turn-based RPG combat for future games, but adding this sort of direct combat to a game adds an appealing new feature to RPGs that they hope will open up the genre to a wider audience.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, if the gameplay is shit eitherway, the quest structure and the writting, atmpshere etc. make or break the game.

As I see it, if the gameplay is shit, then the same gameplay with MCA quests is just shit with chocolate chunks.

Rake

Arcane

As I see it, if the gameplay is shit, then the same gameplay with MCA quests is just shit with chocolate chunks.
But enough chocolate chunks may make the game palatable. VtM:B is just one example among many.
In fact, if you go in the top 10 RPG list, almost none of the games had good gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom