Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1.3 patch issues and future suggestions...

CP

Liturgist
Re: Program Lock Up

RUDEDOGG006 said:
Caution Spoilers

In the monastery after completing the dagger text dungeon I get summoned to Sharag. When Khal argues with him and gets flamed, my system always locks up. The game freezes, and I cannot return to desktop. I have had to do hard boots to get back in.

That's bad. Is it alright if mat contacts you personally? If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please bring it to our attention.

CP

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
CP said:
<sigh> oh boy. not sure if we mentioned this but the barrier was originally supposed to be the demo. since it was the first place we scripted we used some really poor scripting conventions. People like derrack, 'M', and others I won't name are tens of pages of script long laced with all kinds of ugly gotos and such. fixing this probably won't happen because chances are i'll screw something up worse. sorry
:oops:

Or you could re-write all of the Barrier! Wouldn't that be fun! :D

My only concern here is that there might be some cascade failures in the Barrier because of this. If there are more scripts dealing with this, and half of them assume Gareth is dead and the other half don't, there could be some problems down the road with those quests.

Virago

Novice
Re: Program Lock Up

I've been getting the Sharag lockup too, exactly the same.

I've also noticed a small problem with Tauna--since the first time she got knocked out in combat I get a message that she's still disabled when I right click on her portrait, even though she works normally otherwise. She also remains standing when she gets knocked out now.

I've also had the cursor disappear occasionally when saving a game and not reappear, and some of the boxes leave a big yellow square behind and the lower part of the screen unusable. Sorry if I don't describe that well, I'm not very knowledgable about it. ;)

RUDEDOGG006

Novice
Unavailable Characters

I experienced the unavailable characters after the Malpha? Cave Quest. The characters that were KO'd by the trolls were unavailable after being warped back to her house. The characters were standing, and would participate in combat, but I could not check thier inventory or stats. I tried healing and resting but nothing seemed to work.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
I experienced the unavailable characters after the Malpha? Cave Quest. The characters that were KO'd by the trolls were unavailable after being warped back to her house. The characters were standing, and would participate in combat, but I could not check thier inventory or stats. I tried healing and resting but nothing seemed to work.
This one is top 'o the list right now actually, ending combat via script with k/o'd characters usually (not quite always) causes this.

-m

Virago

Novice
Let's see what else I've remembered...

Okay, I've remembered a few other things I don't think I've seen mentioned yet.

When I ran across traps in the Citadel sewers and chose to leave, it said they'd been successfully disarmed.

Whenever it says gathering party for combat, all my characters disappear, the enemies appear in green, and you can't do anything but load or quit.

When fighting in the Citadel sewers, right after casting growth on one character, their speed went from 17 to 27 for no apparent reason and stayed that way.

When bartering, sometimes part or all of a character's inventory doesn't show up.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll see what else I can come up with. :) This is fun. I already can't wait for the next one to come out.

Virago

Novice
One more

From the Monastery, trying to re-enter the Dark Path from the western entrance always causes the game to crash.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
From the Monastery, trying to re-enter the Dark Path from the western entrance always causes the game to crash.
grrrr...
Does this prevent leaving the Monastery entirely, or can you bypass the Dark Path successfully? <sigh> I didn't get this one in time for the 1.35 patch, but it will be fixed for the 1.4 version hopefully next week before x-mas.

onward!
-mat

Virago

Novice
Yes, not too serious, and the eastern entrance works right anyway.

I noticed Subei's axe won't do rend attacks... I'm not sure if that was deliberate or not.

reaver

Novice
Finally,
another crpg that keeps me occupied.

Good game with even some new original elements.

Too bad there are a little 2 many bugs in the game,
(just began playing so I haven't tested it thoroughly yet);
but there's hope --> ZS is still developing!!!

Question: Game Developers is this game written entirely in C++?
... neat! :wink:

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
Question: Game Developers is this game written entirely in C++?
yep, it's coded entirely in c/c++, directx, BASS audio library, I wrote a simple vaguely lisp like scripting language to control a lot of interactions, you can see it in action in people.txt or events.txt should you care to look at it (looking at them can reveal spoilers, though)

I am still coding away and trying to fix bugs, balance, tweak, extend, as much as I can.

glad you're enjoying it, questions regarding development are always welcome,

cheers,
-mat

reaver

Novice
yep, it's coded entirely in c/c++, directx, BASS audio library

Good job,
must have taken a decade to code the 3d-engine alone. :twisted:

I think I have figured out why the game crashes at various points.
It seems there's something wrong with the multi-thread event-handler.
Let me explain myself:
- Whenever multiple events happen (simultaneously), there seems to be some kind of lockup (starting a fight and rotating the camera makes the camera spin around the battlefield like a madman) --> it seems to skip certain keyboard inputs?
- Maybe the same error with the savedialog and the logbook?

hope it helps...

Carioz

Novice
Christmas bug for the 1.35.
Prelude stops and returns to window after talking to the watcher agent in the Citadel, asking about the political situation, and then reading the journal entry regarding this happening.
This is a fairly consistent bug, I have two saves, one before asking about the political situation, one after, where should I send them, Matt?

And as a minor nitpick, not meant to be a pain, Echemnon, the Academy museum guardian, when first confronted roles his eyes instead of rolling them.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
Prelude stops and returns to window after talking to the watcher agent in the Citadel, asking about the political situation, and then reading the journal entry regarding this happening.
This is a fairly consistent bug, I have two saves, one before asking about the political situation, one after, where should I send them, Matt?
I'd love to get them at mat@zero-sum.com, but I think I can probably duplicate that one on my end pretty easily if it follows as you say (good explanation).

> Roles vs. rolls.

Doh! That's an easy fix.

-m

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom