Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #16: Final Week, Monte Cook Stretch Goal Unlocked

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale IV; Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Monte Cook

The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign is entering its final week. Yesterday, it passed $1.4M of funding, adding veteran RPG designer Monte Cook to the game's team. Due to July 4th, today's Kickstarter update doesn't do much more than announce that, but here's the obligatory quote:

Happy 4th of July weekend for all our American backers. In the US, this weekend is about family and celebration and we’ll use it to recharge our batteries before our final week, but before we check out we wanted to give you one final quick update.

The biggest news as of yesterday: The first of our stretch goals to put together the ultimate RPG super team has been hit, and Numenera creator Monte Cook is joining The Bard's Tale IV!

The exciting thing about working with someone like Monte is that as a veteran pen and paper RPG designer, he will bring a fresh yet experienced perspective to our game, helping us to look at our dungeons from a new perspective and thus craft more varied, engaging challenges. And he knows dungeons, as the creator of dungeonaday.com, a site set up to provide gaming parties with huge amounts of adventuring content!​

The campaign has also unlocked sufficient gamification achievements to gain a new reward - two Julie Fowlis songs, one of which is the in-engine video song that everybody has been asking for. Three more achievements are required to unlock the next reward, although it seems inXile haven't decided what that's going to be yet.

So that's it for this week. I wonder what surprises they have left for the last one. The Chris Avellone stretch goal seems out of reach to me, but can Colin make it in?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
pity post

Making it to 1.5m sounds good enough, if only to see how experienced pnp designers handle a CRPG dungeon

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They might bring Avellone aboard anyway if it reaches 1.9 million in post-Kickstarter backers.

Dangersaurus

Novice
All these guys will be sitting at the buffet no matter what the stretch goals. RPG/CRPG friends and family plan.

Shevek

Arcane
Where is the codex fundraiser for this? Lets light a fire under this one for the final week. I mean its a TB blobber for crying out loud.

resilient sphere

Educated
is it possible to trade all these inXile achievements I've been vicariously unlocking for food

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You are all making a grave error in not seeing the wonderment of this project. Trust me, I'm always right, 80 proof of the time.

Darkzone

Arcane
You are all making a grave error in not seeing the wonderment of this project. Trust me, I'm always right, 80 proof of the time.
Positive or negative towards BTIV. You know, that you never know on the codex, and you never know if poe's law applies or not.

Gozma

Arcane
Re-exclude Monte Cook stretch goal on the last day for the big bucks

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm always right 80 proof of the time.
Currently you are 100%, because: Not A or A is a tautology. If you decide not A xor A, then you will be not 100% right, then you could be 80% xor 20% right. So either it will be wonderful good xor wonderful bad.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Yeah this project slowed down insanely fast. I wonder what that could mean.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
In general, the campaign has been very boring. I loved the video but I don't really care about "Monte Cook designs this, Avellone designs that, social media achievements!!!" crap. I understand they can't show new videos every week, but give us more screens, concept art, design talk.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yeah show screens and concept dumps this early in development that is basically the conceptualizing process. An embryonic project needs time to develop. Only a fucktard or the inexperienced would slap down money for things that change so rapidly.

I say collect a modest budget, quietly design the game with a smallish crew that knows what they're doing, and release it when nobody is looking. Ill bet you a physical copy of AoD that good results will come.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yeah show screens and concept dumps this early in development that is basically the conceptualizing process. An embryonic project needs time to develop. Only a fucktard or the inexperienced would slap down money for things that change so rapidly.
:what the fuck am I reading:

They released a fucking video. Everyone understand it's a work in progress and that things may change without notice but the video shows the style, atmosphere, and goals (i.e. what the team is aiming for). Such things help selling the game a lot more than a "let's unlock social media achievements" game. Similarly, they can and should have posted more sketches, art, screens showing more and building on top of the video.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IMO the video was TOO polished and cutscene-like. They should have made it more "gamey", even at the cost of graphical fidelity. Show people some grid-based square dancing, some digging around in nooks and crannies to solve a puzzle. Something that feels like somebody is actually playing a game.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Well yeah its easy to not want demands as someone who isnt a true believer in Kickstarter and is not backing (not saying its a horrible idea, just not my cup of tea). I just think its stupid to show fake shit just to scrape more dollars. They already said that its gonna be Grimrock-like but with an actual plot and actually have a class system (which we have not seem much of lately) so it looks promising already and worth looking at once its released. Great things often come from the shadows, with little to work with..

Vault Dweller

Developer
I just think its stupid to show fake shit just to scrape more dollars.
Concept art and prototyping aren't fake shit, they are an important step toward the final product.

They already said that its gonna be Grimrock-like but with an actual plot and actually have a class system (which we have not seem much of lately) so it looks promising already and worth looking at once its released.
Kickstarter is about raising funds. To raise funds you need to create excitement. There is nothing exciting about the social achievements game.

Before you tell me that the game is funded, it's not. 1.5 mil is low. While inXile can tap into other revenue streams, It would have been better had they gotten closer to 3 mil.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yeah cos Wasteland 2 was awesome and garnered 3 mil. How much did Grimrock or Expeditions make? Much better games in my opinion with minimal outside funding so that kinda gives me some kind of idea of what people can accomplish with limited hard cash. Of course if someone enjoyed the larger funded projects more they may not have similar sentiments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom