Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Footage with Colin McComb at Eurogamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

On the day before its Early Access release, Colin McComb joined Eurogamer's Robert Purchese to chat about Torment: Tides of Numenera while watching a 33 minute gameplay video. The footage appears to be a direct continuation from where the IGN stream from last week left off, and it's a far better demonstration of the game's strengths. Watch as Colin takes you on a guided tour throughout Sagus Cliffs, while showcasing various moments of reactivity:

Takeaways from the video: The beta is probably around 30% of the full game, the full game will have 13 Crisis encounters, and Colin can neither confirm nor deny the possibility of a Torment expansion or sequel.

MrMarbles

Cipher
There's a pretty clear Claw of the Conciliator thing going on with the Clock in the cult of the changing god, and the cannibalistic memory club is very much like the alzabo. Recreating more from those books is probably a good thing.

Also a definite edge over PoE in that backer NPCs have been woven into the story instead of just standing around. Too bad about having the same engine though, like PoE the surfaces just look a little too... clean.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
1:08 "Right, so this is the funny blurry effect that's..." <pause for clearly audible bored-sounding sigh> "...that's around her."
He sounds so very enthousiastic! Promising not to be like a fully prepared and endlessly repeated conversation at all!

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
1:08 "Right, so this is the funny blurry effect that's..." <pause for clearly audible bored-sounding sigh> "...that's around her."
He sounds so very enthousiastic! Promising not to be like a fully prepared and endlessly repeated conversation at all!

Honestly, at the beginning the guy simply sounds stoned - the way he talks and tries to maintain any train of thought are dead giveaways.

Last edited:
So, let me get this straight:
The beta is around 10 hours of gameplay, and it's about 30% of the all game?!

Which means...10 + 5 - 8 * 3.14 / 8.26 + 666 = the length of TTON will be around 35 hours of gameplay?!

Am I wrong?!?!?!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Which means...10 + 5 - 8 * 3.14 / 8.26 + 666 = the length of TTON will be around 35 hours of gameplay?!

Am I wrong?!?!?!

30% of game content doesn't necessarily mean 30% of playtime. Some areas might take longer to play than others. It was G Ziets' estimate that the game is longer than 35 hours, but it's all guesswork at this point.

Last edited:

Am I wrong?!?!?!

30% of game content doesn't necessarily mean 30% of playtime. Some areas might take longer to play than others. It was G Ziets' estimate that the game is longer than 35 hours,, but it's all guesswork at this point.

I definitely prefer 35 hours of quality over 100 hours of shitty game.

But It's OK to hope for 100 hours of quality game :)

Last edited:
Weasel
I wonder if we'll see some of the same Steamtard complaints that we saw with AoD, as people are so used to linear games. I remember one guy complaining that there wasn't enough "content" and he finished his non-combat run quite quickly. When it was pointed out that the game was designed to be replayable and he would see more of the content and have a completely different experience with a replay the response was "Lol, I don't replay games, that's boring." (And then complaining that he hadn't been able to discover everything on one playthrough)

I can understand some devs not bothering investing in reactivity and branching narratives given how many people seem to judge a game by "Xhrs playthrough" vs the cost of the game. Glad to see the feedback that this game has a decent level of reactivity so far.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Am I wrong?!?!?!

30% of game content doesn't necessarily mean 30% of playtime. Some areas might take longer to play than others. It was G Ziets' estimate that the game is longer than 35 hours,, but it's all guesswork at this point.

I definitely prefer 35 hours of quality than 100 hours of shitty game.

What cRPG has had above 60-80 hours of PURE quality?

That is, without all the shitty timewasting tasks, verbose text, needless skillchecks, walking around, mindless and boring exploration, shitty filler content, micromanagement and UI hassles, bugs, crashes etc.

MrMarbles

Cipher

That is, without all the shitty timewasting tasks, verbose text, needless skillchecks, walking around, mindless and boring exploration, shitty filler content, micromanagement and UI hassles, bugs, crashes etc.

BG2

likaq

Arcane
LOL

Yes, bg2 does not have trash mobs, shitty timewasting fedex quests, filler content and bugs.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Am I wrong?!?!?!

If you put it like this then no such game exists.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
If you put it like this then no such game exists.

Which was my point. People shouldn't get too caught up on "THIS MANY HOURS OF GAMEPLAY" if 50 % of the gameplay is just shit, it won't and shouldn't matter.

A short game isn't automatically a very bad thing, quite the contrary.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
LOL

Yes, bg2 does not have trash mobs, shitty timewasting fedex quests, filler content and bugs.

Aside from the first (which serve a purpose) and the last, it doesn't.

However it's a different kind of game and benefited very much from the work that went into creating its predecessor. Anyone who thinks they want 100 hours of reading and walking is shortsighted. Who would ever want to replay that?

Am I wrong?!?!?!

Well, the Witcher 3 was a near perfect game for me.

And if I remember correctly, baldur's gate 2 was pretty long, and near perfect too.

I wonder if we'll see some of the same Steamtard complaints that we saw with AoD, as people are so used to linear games. I remember one guy complaining that there wasn't enough "content" and he finished his non-combat run quite quickly. When it was pointed out that the game was designed to be replayable and he would see more of the content and have a completely different experience with a replay the response was "Lol, I don't replay games, that's boring." (And then complaining that he hadn't been able to discover everything on one playthrough)

I can understand some devs not bothering investing in reactivity and branching narratives given how many people seem to judge a game by "Xhrs playthrough" vs the cost of the game. Glad to see the feedback that this game has a decent level of reactivity so far.

Have to admit, I've got a few games where I replay them all the time, but most I never get around to replaying.

Which doesn't mean I don't want choices. I want to know that my choices have an effect, even if I'm not going to go back and see every path. Frankly, Biowarean choices would do just fine, so long as they went and paid everyone else to get in on the act and assure me that, really, there would have been a massively different outcome if I'd chosen to kill the foozle for free instead of for $$$.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Why is this game so brightly colored and jolly ? I don't want happiness in my Torment,I want everyone to suffer :decline:

Last edited:

throwaway

Cipher
Wasn't MotB 30odd-hours-long? If they release something comparable I'll be delighted, surprised and it'll already be the best storyfag released in almost 10 years.

Also, fuck your replayability, I want narrative.

Don't get me wrong guys.

I prefer quality over quantity any day!

But for a game you've been waiting for about 20 years, it's pretty logic wanting the game to be both quality & quantity!

And as other guys mentioned before, I played all the great RPG's like Torment, BG2, Arcanum, fallout, Underrail and even games you CRPG freaks not so fond of, like the Witcher, Dragon age, south park and Mass Effect.

I play them all. And In most cases, I played only one time.

When I see the credits I move on to the next game.

So for me, the best combination is a game that makes your choices matter on one hand, but on the other hand, have enough quality content for the game to last long and feel big enough.

Of course I don't have "minimum hours" rule. But, I think you can understand what I'm trying to say.

BG2 was that good, not just because the quality. But also because it felt big, with lots of content and things to do beside the main story.
Of course, Bg2 wasn't perfect, but even the shitty side quests, sometimes, got you to new places with great characters, environments and etc...

Last edited:
Weasel
Have to admit, I've got a few games where I replay them all the time, but most I never get around to replaying.

Which doesn't mean I don't want choices. I want to know that my choices have an effect, even if I'm not going to go back and see every path.

I also have lots I don't replay, especially long, linear ones. But if a game offers a very different experience each time you play it it's a bit different IMO. And when people simply say one game is "30 hrs" and another is "40 hrs" they don't often mention whether one of them had a lot of other options you don't see on a single playthrough and the other was on wheels.

I can only imagine what a chart following all the options and reactivity in AoD (or Torment now) would look like, but obviously every option and branch added spreads your effort out more and impacts single playthrough length.

i hate 3d characters, they're so bland and always look like they're sliding on ice. 2D chars blend so much more and look more solid and detailed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom