Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Whalenought's Copper Dreams and future Staglands games to use unified ruleset, more info on Feb 25th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

Whalenought Studios' upcoming cyberpunk-themed RPG, Copper Dreams, was originally supposed to receive some sort of gameplay reveal trailer in December. That ended up getting delayed, along with the reveal of the Serpent in the Staglands expansion (which increasingly looks like it's going to be an entirely new game). A new post on the official Whalenought site announces that all of that stuff will be arriving starting from February 25th. Apparently, they've been using the extra time to shore up their fundamentals. Introducing The Burning Candle ruleset:

On February 25th we are happy to finally unveil our Copper Dreams preview. At that time we will also be starting a series of posts detailing the ruleset and world mechanics we’ve made that will be used for the game as well as the future Vol campaigns, which to help house their similarities amongst very different campaigns we’ve decided to name as The Burning Candle ruleset.

Mechanics are designed from aspects of pen and paper we enjoy and thought would synchronize well into various systems that only a computer format can execute on: environmental combat simulations and the use of time on a global and micro level. Time is the focus on a lot of elements, and branches into many of the mechanics we’ll be going over.

It’s a primarily d8 ruleset that is specifically focused on the adventure part of roleplaying, with an importance on resting and downtime and the repercussions that has throughout. As you progress characters there is less throwing larger and larger piles of dice at opponents and more emphasis on strategic use of items and positioning in an ever dangerous combat mode.

The ruleset encompassed everything from dice rolls, challenge rolls, environmental uses, interactive items, combat, and player management of systems to the implications of the global clock. We’re excited to start sharing more on the 25th with our first topic!
The announcement will be followed by a new interview with Shane Stacks on the 27th. 2016 is definitely off to an interesting start.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Seems that 'time' is of the essence!

Seriously excited for this news. Copper Dreams is the one of the few new games i'm excited about atm. However, I hope this 'time' business does not mean that your character somehow gets weaker/has less options as you progress. Would hate to see Whalenought copy of that stupid FF game.
Btw. can we bitch about not-yet-fully announced games, or am I a tad bit too early??

Cant wait for more SitS, and everything else Whalenought has in store !!!:kwanzania:

- Digg

V_K

Arcane
Sounds very Mistmare-ish.
Though frankly I did like that game's character system, just not for the time management gimmick.

Edit: Come to think of it, Mistmare and SitS do have one thing in common - they're both games that look extremely good on paper but not so much in actual realization.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Time" is probably a reference to the way combat works, not some long-term character lifetime thing. Read Sensuki's posts in the Copper Dreams thread(s)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
There's not much information yet but I'm still way more excited about it than about shitty Beamdog game. Whalenought studios seems to be the only developer (besides Iron Tower) with some truly innovative and interesting ideas. Sadly, retards prefer to spend their money on the same thing in a different packaging (e.g. BG:EE) rather than on a game with original setting and gameplay (Age of Decadence and Serpent in the Staglands).

inb4
:edgy:
I'm not being edgy, it's the sad truth.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
It'd be interesting if they'd make a game combining both settings: the Sci-Fi and the Fantasy one.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Serpent in the Staglands was marred by banal things like poor UI readability and a heavily inverted challenge curve. Everything was cool but it was pretty much unplayable for me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Serpent in the Staglands was marred by banal things like poor UI readability and a heavily inverted challenge curve. Everything was cool but it was pretty much unplayable for me.
The combat is what turned me off. Really terrible sit-and-watch implementation of RTwP.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The combat is what turned me off. Really terrible sit-and-watch implementation of RTwP.
well I wouldn't know I turned it off after 10 mins because I couldn't read the text

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
well I wouldn't know I turned it off after 10 mins because I couldn't read the text
Exactly. I even went as far as trying to tinker with the game and force it to use another font, but failed. After 2 hours I called it quits.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree the UI was way too artsy for its own good.

I could, however, read the text. What turned me off after 20 hours or so was not having the slightest clue where to go now. I was running around aimlessly from location to location on the map for hours, trying to find some point of progression and that was eventually wearing me down.
Nowadays, and with the ever-growing list of games to play, I just don't have time and patience for that. :(

I don't want a quest compass, but some more guidance would have been nice.
Underrail did that much better IMO. No quest compass (heck, not even a map), but the hints were enough to usually let me find what I was looking for (except some side quests that I never figured out).

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have enough of time management problems in real life. How do they expect me to enjoy this?

Lucky

Arcane
... That ended up getting delayed, along with the reveal of the Serpent in the Staglands expansion (which increasingly looks like it's going to be an entirely new game). ...

Is this speculation or did make mention of this somewhere? I'd be a nice surprise if they did, but last I heard the free expansion was all they were planning to do.

When did you last play it? The game has gone through a lot of patches since its release, so some of your issues might have been alleviated by now.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

When did you last play it? The game has gone through a lot of patches since its release, so some of your issues might have been alleviated by now.
I have 2 major issues with the game (the ones I mentioned) and I haven't heard about either being alleviated.

Delbaeth

Learned
The title Copper Dreams makes me think about someone in Total Recall who can't afford interesting dreams, because he only owns a few copper coins.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
SitS had one of the most boring combat systems and one of the worst rulesets in recent memory, so the news that they're changing everything is very welcome.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Combat was fine to me
I don't know if they removed those awesome unbalanced fun spells and skills by now, but I hope they didn't. Seeing all the people complain about combat may have lead them down that dusty road

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom