Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Twitch Stream #2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Amber Scott; Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear; Beamdog; David Gaider; Phillip Daigle; Trent Oster

Beamdog's Amber Scott and Phillip Daigle are on Twitch again today to show off some more of the upcoming Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear expansion. This time, their adventure takes them to an undead-infested Dwarven excavation known simply as "The Dig". While hacking their way through zombies and wights, Amber and Phillip talk about topics such as the work they've done adding depth to old and new companions, the mechanics of the new Shaman class, the way importing your party from the base game works, and more. Keep an eye out for the David Gaider cameo!

In other news, as part of their ongoing campaign to bootstrap themselves into the oldschool RPG big leagues, Beamdog have launched an online magazine called "The Familiar". It's pretty fluffy stuff, but I found the articles about the history of their company and about the misguided Sword Coast Legends from n-Space to be interesting reads.

Dorateen

Arcane
Addition of full-party creation in single-player mode is huge. It was always going to be there in terms of the multi-player option. But the developers embracing it, and sanctioning now as part of the Baldur's Gate saga, represents a philosophical shift away from bioware's vision.

Ramireza

Savant
It looks like they've actually created a game worthy of the Baldur's Gate title. I can't believe it.

THIS CA'NT BE! The only REAL BG experience is and upatched BG in 640 x 480 resolution. I would prefer an 320 x 200 px patch instead of this shit.

Seriously : Wow, the envoriments looks fantastic! Besides the sprites this look better then PoE in parts.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
overall the dungeon was too dark. also the wooden beams supporting the shaft were not textured, or at least the normal/displacement map was missing. they were also way too straight to look natural.

FUDU

Arcane
overall the dungeon was too dark. also the wooden beams supporting the shaft were not textured, or at least the normal/displacement map was missing. they were also way too straight to look natural.

Ya!

And all the wheels look like fucking octagons. Jebus christ, worst game ever!

It looks like they've actually created a game worthy of the Baldur's Gate title. I can't believe it.

THIS CA'NT BE! The only REAL BG experience is and upatched BG in 640 x 480 resolution. I would prefer an 320 x 200 px patch instead of this shit.

Seriously : Wow, the envoriments looks fantastic! Besides the sprites this look better then PoE in parts.

this game is going to be way, way, way better than PoE. Beamdog is going to a huge success IMO. If I could buy shares I would have long ago.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
this game is going to be way, way, way better than PoE. Beamdog is going to a huge success IMO. If I could buy shares I would have long ago.

Beamdog's next game after SoD is probably going to be a D&D 5E game.

Roguey, do we have a list of the elements of D&D 5E that your typical groggy grog would hate?

Weasel

Hegel

Arcane
Too bad that Beamdog's stuff is not compatible with the thousands of mods released for the original versions.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Aw, that's so cute. Come on guise, isn't here anything else you would hate that would make me so happy if u didn't hate only my favorite game!!! P.S. SoD is not good for streaming!!! very important!!!!!!! Means the systems are bad!!!

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Roguey, do we have a list of the elements of D&D 5E that your typical groggy grog would hate?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?358474-A-Grognard-s-Guide-to-5E-D-amp-D-Rules is a pretty good list of changes from previous editions though it's not comprehensive. For example, it doesn't mention that much like 4e and Pathfinder, they've removed the undead/construct immunity to sneak attacks and such.

ArchAngel

Arcane

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?358474-A-Grognard-s-Guide-to-5E-D-amp-D-Rules is a pretty good list of changes from previous editions though it's not comprehensive. For example, it doesn't mention that much like 4e and Pathfinder, they've removed the undead/construct immunity to sneak attacks and such.
And it makes sense. If you take off zombies hands or feet it is going to be less effective in fighting. Incorporeal undead and formless enemies are still immune to sneak attack. Also sneak attack was called Backstab in AD&D, it was already changed a lot by making it Sneak Attack in 3e.

I don't know shit about 5E, I am sure I won't like it as much as previous editions... but it does not mean I don't think it will be better than PoE. I do wish Beamdog would just use the open D&D system (based on 3E rules?) instead of 5E for future games, but they won't get the official D&D license that way, for whatever that is worth.

But my actual favorite edition of AD&D is 1st edition, the one with assassins and more peculiar rules regarding race and multi-class vs. dual class, but I know we are likely to never see a 1st edition game again. Each edition after 1st I like a little less than the previous, it goes perfectly in order.... although I suspect I will like 5E better than 4E, which was awful.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I don't know shit about 5E, I am sure I won't like it as much as previous editions... but it does not mean I don't think it will be better than PoE. I do wish Beamdog would just use the open D&D system (based on 3E rules?) instead of 5E for future games, but they won't get the official D&D license that way, for whatever that is worth.

But my actual favorite edition of AD&D is 1st edition, the one with assassins and more peculiar rules regarding race and multi-class vs. dual class, but I know we are likely to never see a 1st edition game again. Each edition after 1st I like a little less than the previous, it goes perfectly in order.... although I suspect I will like 5E better than 4E, which was awful.
5e is a mix of 4e, 3e and 2e. And it took only good thing from 4e, bound accuracy. Which means your accuracy does not rise a lot during leveling and armor classes does not rise a lot as well. It finally removes the problem D&D had for a long time, that after certain level and gear characters became superhuman and untouchable to most of the world. Now a lvl 15 fighter with 20 ac can still die to 100 goblins with +2 or +3 attack.
5e is more like LotR where Gimli and Aragorn defend the bridge vs 50 Uruk Hai instead of 3e D&D where a lvl 15 fighter can alone kill the whole Uruk Hai army.

Also spellcasters cannot kill the whole army by themselves because they have access to less spells per rest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Taken to an extreme, that kind of anti-power creep approach could inhibit the kind of EXTREEM itemization that BG2 fans like (hey, Telengard!). Also I could see it tripping some people's "omg level scaling" alarms. I'd like to see how it's actually implemented in a CRPG before judging, though.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Actually magic items are about AD&D levels, not 3e/4e levels. The game is designed so you can run it with no or little magic items if you want making it finding magic items a cool thing. Also most magic items are supposed to be cooler than +1 sword because game tells DMs to give them additional properties and has a list of possible ones.
Also, no magic items shops everywhere like in 3e and 4e.

And there is no level scaling. Goblins stats don't change, only their numbers. How many games have it so your high level guy still needs to fear goblins in sufficient numbers like they do in stories and movies?
5e is closer to simulating "real life" than any edition so far.

5e is a mix of 4e, 3e and 2e. And it took only good thing from 4e, bound accuracy. Which means your accuracy does not rise a lot during leveling and armor classes does not rise a lot as well. It finally removes the problem D&D had for a long time, that after certain level and gear characters became superhuman and untouchable to most of the world. Now a lvl 15 fighter with 20 ac can still die to 100 goblins with +2 or +3 attack.
5e is more like LotR where Gimli and Aragorn defend the bridge vs 50 Uruk Hai instead of 3e D&D where a lvl 15 fighter can alone kill the whole Uruk Hai army.

Also spellcasters cannot kill the whole army by themselves because they have access to less spells per rest.

that all sounds good to me actually because I never liked high level D&D. Lower level D&D is my favorite, and I would start to lose interest after about level 9 for the exact reasons you cited. I don't like overpowered characters or too many or powerful magic items. BG2 was too much IMO, I prefer BG and icewind dale because it is not so epic. The epic stuff is not fun to me and I don't like anything where players deal or fight with 'GOD's. Gods should remain completely out of the realm of real possibility IMO and story lines where players try to become or defeat Gods really suck.

Ezrite

Learned
Actually magic items are about AD&D levels, not 3e/4e levels. The game is designed so you can run it with no or little magic items if you want making it finding magic items a cool thing. Also most magic items are supposed to be cooler than +1 sword because game tells DMs to give them additional properties and has a list of possible ones.

And there is no level scaling. Goblins stats don't change, only their numbers. How many games have it so your high level guy still needs to fear goblins in sufficient numbers like they do in stories and movies?

Somehow it makes mages sound horrible. A scrawn low HP, bad fortitude save caster with less spells?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Somehow it makes mages sound horrible. A scrawn low HP, bad fortitude save caster with less spells?
You get more HP than in 3e, saves are now bad for everyone and your lvl 0 spells (cantrips) can be now cast unlimited numbers per day and their damage scales with mage level. It is kind of like AD&D except you don't shoot your sling when you run out of spells but use your cantrips which is more thematically fitting.
Also many spells were made stronger to counter the lower numbers of casts per day.

Ezrite

Learned
You get more HP than in 3e, saves are now bad for everyone and your lvl 0 spells (cantrips) can be now cast unlimited numbers per day and their damage scales with mage level. It is kind of like AD&D except you don't shoot your sling when you run out of spells but use your cantrips which is more thematically fitting.
Also many spells were made stronger to counter the lower numbers of casts per day.

I saw a few problems with how the game turned "Less overpowered" if you have more health but yeah. It do sound interesting. Less AC means more hits and those accumulate. And good move on the cantrips! Mages always felt wrong using a sling or throwing darts 75% of the time on low levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom