Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Banner Saga 2 available for pre-order, coming April 19th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stoic Studio; The Banner Saga 2

The Banner Saga 2, second chapter in Stoic Studio's Norse-themed tactical turn-based and choice & consequence trilogy, was originally supposed to have been released last year. However, Stoic appear to have gotten themselves sidetracked with the console port of the first game, as well as a tabletop spinoff called The Banner Saga: Warbands, and the sequel ended up getting delayed, first to an unspecified "Winter", then to Q1 2016, and now finally to April 19th. Here's the announcement on the game's Steam page, where it is now available for pre-order:

Hello All

Huge thank you for playing The Banner Saga and supporting us during development. Being a small team and working on something we love is both amazing and challenging but we're finally here with Banner Saga 2. Thank you all and we can't wait to get you folks in game!

We're proud to have the Windows and OSX version of the game launching on April 19th. The preorder will also be on a 10% discount up until we launch the game but we will not have any launch day or launch week discounts, however our main price will only be 19.99 this time around instead of 24.99.

April 19th will be here soon! If you have any questions, please let us know via the Steam Forums, Twitter, or Facebook.
There's been practically no news about Banner Saga 2 for the past six months, but looking at the game's new website, it seems everything we learned about it back then is still relevant. If you liked the first game, then this one is the same but better, so get it now before the price goes up.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What happened to their forum? No matter what link I use, I get directed to their front page.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Still need to finish the first one so I can import the save.

It's a fun game with glorious visuals, but very rpg light.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
LoL @ screenshots spoiling the funeral scene from the first part's ending.

I am guessing Rook/Alette will have a more background role this time, unless Stoic actually made two versions of the storyline for this game.
If you liked the first game, then this one is the same but better,

How can we know that?

so get it now before the price goes up.
LoL @ blatant shilling.

Zetor

Arcane
First one was pretty much the dictionary definition for 'good for what it is'... which in this case means a game you buy when it's 60-75% off on a steam sale and you've run out of great games to play

I'm hoping they got some better writers for the second instalment, myself -- having more variance in combat would be nice too, but it seems there'll be some different enemy types this time around at least. Next design challenge: battlemaps that aren't just flat 20x20 squares! I believe in you, Stoic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How can we know that?

Read the website I linked to. Or previous Codex newsposts about the game.

having more variance in combat would be nice too

http://www.bannersaga2.com/whats-new/

Along with the variety of adding new races, classes, talents, and monsters, combat has been given some attention as well. Several new systems will be experienced while in battle. We added story telling in battles where characters are giving more context to the situation or continuing where you left off in dialogue. The choices you make in dialogue also affect who is supporting you in battle or who is not. Destructible environments add some interesting elements by slowing down either side. Finally different battle win conditions change what you have to accomplish while you are fighting.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9979

“One of the things we’ve seen a lot in comments is some of the combat felt a little slow, or not diverse enough so that was the number one thing we tackled,” says McGee. “No-one seems to have a problem with the type of heroes you can play as, it’s the type of enemies you’re fighting so we went through and thought where can we spend our budget to diversify that enemy base – give them new abilities, buffs… My whole thing was to give them a culture and really extrapolate on that to bring the Dredge to life.”

The team has also dedicated a lot of time to watching Let’s Plays of the first game, picking out where players hesitate or pause. “You see where they lose interest – you can hear it in their voice and see it in their mouse clicks,” says McGee.

“Now the combat boards are all going to be hand touched. They’re going to be scripted to really follow the narrative so it’s never going to be this situation where I’m just on a blank board with random spawners. The first battle you fight there, the tutorial, is you come upon this village that’s about to be sacked so the whole battleboard emulates that. There’s destructible barricades. That wasn’t in the first but it really provides a new layer to the strategy.”

At this point Jorgensen joins us. He has watched a lot of those Let’s Plays and says that the main takeaway from the first game for the team has been the need to work on switching up the combat..

“We’re going to have more win scenarios,” says Jorgensen. “We’re going to have a lot more variation in combat, not just ‘kill them all’. John [Watson, the lead programmer] did a whole new toolset for the engine so we can make it more scripted, so we’re going to be moving story through the combat.”

He goes on to elaborate on what McGee was saying about the tutorial/demo battle. “The whole thing feels a little more cinematic. We have destructibles now so you can put up barricades and have them broken. You can put up urns that are knocked over with coals that come out and affect the battlefield.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Liked the first game. An Oregon Trail like game with gorgeous graphics and some neat C&C. They needed to add more diversity to combat by spicing up the battlefields but they seem to have done that. One of the Kickstarters that genuinly delivered for me.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It's still a shame that such great combat and artwork was married with such shit ideas about gameplay and storytelling.
I guess it's what you will consider a "great" game if you have been indoctrinated to Bioware style games.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Liked the first game. An Oregon Trail like game with gorgeous graphics and some neat C&C. They needed to add more diversity to combat by spicing up the battlefields but they seem to have done that. One of the Kickstarters that genuinly delivered for me.
They also added more enemy types to address everyone's complaint of Too Much Dredge(TM).

flabbyjack

Arcane
First one was pretty much the dictionary definition for 'good for what it is'... which in this case means a game you buy when it's 60-75% off on a steam sale and you've run out of great games to play
I think I spent $0.50 on Banner Saga 1 from a humble bundle. (OK I actually give more than that, but you get the idea).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So was the first game a complete story? I remember this was going to be episodic but now they call it a 'sequel.'

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So was the first game a complete story? I remember this was going to be episodic but now they call it a 'sequel.'

It's more like the first chapter of the main story. Which means that you can take it any way you want it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom