Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ubisoft E3 2016 Conference: South Park 2 looks surprisingly good, coming December 6th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: South Park: The Fractured But Whole; Ubisoft

Remember South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Ubisoft's surprise in-house sequel to Obsidian's South Park: The Stick of Truth that was announced last year? You may be wondering why we never posted anything about it after that. That's because there was nothing to post - the project went into complete silence mode. Until today, that is, when it appeared in the middle of the otherwise predictable Ubisoft E3 press conference...and revealed itself to be a remarkably decent-looking turn-based RPG featuring tactical positioning and environmental interaction mechanics. No, really! Here's the entire South Park segment of the press conference:

It's coming out this year, on December 6th. Dark horse candidate for RPGOTY 2016?

Using farts to manipulate the turn order turns up to be the most innovative mechanic we will get from mainstream games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
December 6th isn't a release date that inspires confidence especially considering they had to move to an entirely different engine within about two years or so.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
December 6th isn't a release date that inspires confidence especially considering they had to move to an entirely different engine within about two years or so.

Planescape Torment didn't have a lot of dev time either, and it turned out well enough.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
First one was incredibly funny, day 1 on this.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Planescape Torment didn't have a lot of dev time either, and it turned out well enough.

They used someone else's engine.

From 2014:

Development on game engine Snowdrop started about five years ago, Cortes said, beforeThe Division was in development and before the specifications were known for either the PlayStation 4 or the Xbox One.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/19/5524924/the-division-video-snowdrop-game-engine

Working with a proprietary in-house engine that has been in development since 2009 might not inherently be worse than using the Infinity Engine.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Last game was the first time I liked South Park in ages and felt like the true sequel to the movie. Still, like most things South Park, I probably would have liked it way more had it been released a decade ago.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Working with a proprietary in-house engine that has been in development since 2009 might not inherently be worse than using the Infinity Engine.

They still have to make all the RPG tools stuff from scratch. Onyx was a finished engine with all the tools for making RPGs, still took over three years for them to make Stick of Truth.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They still have to make all the RPG tools stuff from scratch. Onyx was a finished engine with all the tools for making RPGs, still took over three years for them to make Stick of Truth.

6JgSmzW.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All right, but this brand new team still has to make a game even more complex and longer than Stick of Truth in less time than it took Obsidian to make theirs with no same-engine advantages that sequels typically have.

Wasn't a sizable part of Stick of Truth's development period drawn out because Matt and Trey hadn't really gotten used to writing for games, forcing lots of cut content and wasted time? I expect now that they freshly understand everything from the beginning and have honed their skills that they'll have a much better time for round 2.

In any case this is a 2D (ish?), fairly linear jRPG with already-developed world and characters, and with fairly simplistic mechanics. I don't think 2 years is unreasonably short for the dev time.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Is a group of faceless inhouse Ubisoft developers going to outdo Codex darling Obsidian in making an rpg? Will they be able to hold a deadline? Will QA be actually involved? We'll see at december 6th.

By my understanding it was more like Obsidian guiding Matt and Trey in making an RPG really, with Obsidian handling all of the technical details and otherwise being in an advisory role for them. When you look at Obsidian games, you generally think good writing, good story interactivity, well thought out atmosphere and setting, and so on, but for Stick of Truth those either weren't present or were done by Matt and Trey anyway.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Wasn't Trey and Parker idea to make an RPG akin to Paper Mario? I remember hearing that on an interview.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Might just :d1p: this one.

Yes the first one wasn't exactly super deep but the writing alone made it worth it.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

but not with Obsidian!
:dance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom