Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion Q&A at GamersHell

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Another <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com>Oblivion</a> <a href=http://www.gamershell.com/articles/996.html>interview</a>, courtesy of <a href=http://www.gamershell.com>GamersHell</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Many features from Daggerfall that were left out of Morrowind seem to be returning. Can we assume this is more the TES title getting back to its roots, rather than going the way of other titles that began on the PC, and found their way to the console?</b>
<br>
<br>
We evaluate the risk and reward potential of each feature on its own. Simply loading up our buckets full of features for no other reason than the fact that they were in old games is just inviting feature bloat. I think we made very smart choices during the design phase of Oblivion about where to distribute our effort. As a result, we’ve brought back features from Daggerfall like horses, and greatly expanded the concept of NPC schedules.
<br>
<br>
<b>You have previously said the game will contain 9 cities, and 25 villages in Cyrodiil itself, but the community was wondering if there are any "settlements" or cities in any other areas, like for example inside Oblivion?</b>
<br>
<br>
Oblivion will contain a great many sights and sounds that are worlds away from anything you’ll find in Tamriel. To get the details of what you’ll find there, you’ll have to play the game.</blockquote>Can't wait!

Fresh

Erudite
: We have both aggressive and passive creatures in Tamriel. Creatures that we intend to be aggressive will be aggressive no matter what. We can also set up creatures that will run from you on sight, such as deer, and creatures that will ignore you unless provoked. The level designers and world artists set up values for the creature’s AI when they’re populating their areas, so you will see a variety of behaviors across the land.

That's a good thing.

Chefe

Erudite
Many features from Daggerfall that were left out of Morrowind seem to be returning.

Holy shit, really?

What the hell have I been reading then? I didn't cat this vibe at all.

Sigh... another day, another stupid Oblivion interview.

Balor

Arcane
Since when two became 'many'?
It reminds me of that old cartoon:
"How many coconuts will make a pile?"
Well, it was definitely more then three, heh.
Can anyone remember things that were not in MW, but were in Df, and now returned in Ob?
Horses - ok. Schedules - ok. Anything else?

On the other hand, how dare they say that they got a load of features from Daggerfall... while they remove a lot in MW, and them a lot in Ob too?
One step forward and three steps back equals two steps back overall, you know. :roll:

HardCode

Erudite
GH: Could you tell us how the alchemy skill has been changed?

B: There are a ton of changes to alchemy from Morrowind, both on the formula side of things to address and prevent exploits, and on the gameplay side. Ingredients each have four associated magic effects that can be mixed into potions. This time around, the effects are hidden, and only revealed when you reach certain skill levels of alchemy. Collecting different equipment also plays an important part, as each individual piece can have an effect on the final effectiveness of the potion. Also new and exciting is the ability to mix up poisons that can be applied to weapons for a one time bonus. It’s great for stealthy characters looking for that single shot kill.

Did the respondent from Bethesda ever play Morrowind???

Balor

Arcane
"Are the devs taking credit for the user made mods now? Hah"
What are you talking about?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
We have both aggressive and passive creatures in Tamriel. Creatures that we intend to be aggressive will be aggressive no matter what. We can also set up creatures that will run from you on sight, such as deer, and creatures that will ignore you unless provoked. The level designers and world artists set up values for the creature’s AI when they’re populating their areas, so you will see a variety of behaviors across the land.
Wow! You mean like in World of Warcraft? Yay!!

Section8

Cipher
However, there are about 25 settlements that exist out in the wilderness that use the Morrowind model.

Hah! Anyone want to bet that these "settlements" are just a couple of dumb dunmer motherfuckers hanging out at a tent, waiting to mindlessly attack the player character in accordance with "the Morrowind model"? :P

Could you tell us how the alchemy skill has been changed?
No bitch, you just told us how the fucking alchemy works in Morrowind. What has been changed, idiot?

bryce777

Erudite
Section8 said:
However, there are about 25 settlements that exist out in the wilderness that use the Morrowind model.

Hah! Anyone want to bet that these "settlements" are just a couple of dumb dunmer motherfuckers hanging out at a tent, waiting to mindlessly attack the player character in accordance with "the Morrowind model"? :P

Could you tell us how the alchemy skill has been changed?
No bitch, you just told us how the fucking alchemy works in Morrowind. What has been changed, idiot?

I would like to see a whole family working a farm, then you walk up and men women and children all attack you for no reason.

Levski 1912

Scholar
I would like to see a whole family working a farm, then you walk up and men women and children all attack you for no reason.

The newspaper offended them, and in their magnificent radiance they decided to give you a "good ole backcountry ass action".

Chefe

Erudite
Breaking3po said:
I will not be forking any money over for this.

1995-09-22.gif

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Balor said:
Can anyone remember things that were not in MW, but were in Df, and now returned in Ob?
Computer generated content
Multiple quest lines
Custom map markers/notes
Casting spells and swinging weapons without switching combat modes
Larger dungeons
A lack of crossbows :D

There may be more, but I haven't read many articles on the game as I know changes are still being made.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Wysardry said:
Balor said:
Multiple quest lines
Custom map markers/notes
Larger dungeons

There may be more, but I haven't read many articles on the game as I know changes are still being made.
Holidays - if you're willing to pay extra for them.

Dungeons are not larger by the way, and if stealing/killing or buying the ring of +1 enchantment is your idea of multiple quest lines... then yeah, ok.

Balor

Arcane
Wysardry said:
Balor said:
Multiple quest lines
Custom map markers/notes
Larger dungeons

Hmm...

>Computer generated content

Let's be fair, while soil erosion and forests are a step in right directoin, it's a minor feature, that has nearly zero impact on gameplay, unlike random quests and all.
Or RAI allow random quests? Cannot rememer that, for some reason.

>Multiple quest lines

Erm, you mean? That 'quests will be better this time, trust us!'? Ok, we'll see.

>Custom map markers/notes

Well, yea, that's good thing, if, also, VERY minor feature, hardly worth of notice - it should be never excluded in MW in the first place.

>Casting spells and swinging weapons without switching combat modes
*shrugs*
Hardly a feature.

>Larger dungeons
*rolls eyes*
For some reason, I doubt that Ob dungeons will even approach level of DF ones.
Yea, they may be handcrafted and all, but see VD's comments.
That's more of an improvement on extra-crappy MW ones, not return to DF.

>A lack of crossbows :D
:P

So, still not a pile :).

Dreagon

Scholar
I'm still waiting for some evidence that just one of these "major cities" other than the Imperial City is bigger than the town of Balmora. So far the evidence suggests not.

Stark

Liturgist
Dreagon said:
I'm still waiting for some evidence that just one of these "major cities" other than the Imperial City is bigger than the town of Balmora. So far the evidence suggests not.

actually if there's no game content to support large cities there's little point to make the Imperial City large. doing so would just add alot of pointless walking into the game. take a look at the city in Gothic 2. smallish, but packed with things to do.

Micmu

Magister
Stark said:
actually if there's no game content to support large cities there's little point to make the Imperial City large. doing so would just add alot of pointless walking into the game. take a look at the city in Gothic 2. smallish, but packed with things to do.
Because it was crowded with NPCs. There is no evidence of any crowd in O. In fact, some previews already mentioned it's not the "trading center" they've expected it to be ... but blah blah.. NPCs are "quite animated".

7th Circle

Scholar
Balor said:
>Computer generated content

Let's be fair, while soil erosion and forests are a step in right directoin, it's a minor feature, that has nearly zero impact on gameplay, unlike random quests and all.
Or RAI allow random quests? Cannot rememer that, for some reason.

I could be wrong but I think he was referring to the plane of Oblivion that, as I understand it, is randomly generated when you play...not that I disagree with your general sentiment...

pantheon

Novice
Dreagon said:

Yeah - I'm wondering that also. I thought Skingrad was going to be large - but if you look at the part oblivion map released with the collectors edition marketing hype newsletter it isn't any bigger than Chorrol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom