Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Kickstarter Update #28: Campaign Setting Details

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BattleTech; Harebrained Schemes; Kevin Maginn; Mike McCain

We haven't heard much about BattleTech over the last few months, possibly because Harebrained Schemes are focused on their other game, Necropolis, which is due for release next month. Today, a new sign of life - a Kickstarter update introducing Design Lead Kevin Maginn, who holds the Sawyer-esque dual role of systems designer and lead worldbuilder. The update is about the latter aspect in particular. It introduces the Aurigan Reach, a region of the Periphery region of the BattleTech universe that Harebrained have invented to serve as the game's setting. Here's a snippet from its history:

The rimward area of the Periphery (what looks like ‘south’ on a map) includes a lightly-settled region that’s known as the Aurigan Reach. While once divided between the Magistracy of Canopus, the Taurian Concordat, and the Capellan Confederation, all three withdrew from the region during the wars, preferring to hold more secure borders and less marginal systems. The distant, poorly-developed worlds of the Reach weren’t worth the danger of overextending one’s power, given the sudden brutality of the Succession Wars.

The Capellans, hard-pressed by their rivals in the Inner Sphere, were first to abandon the Aurigan Reach, and by 2798 they’d withdrawn to a new, more defensible line, from Repulse to Rollis, leaving over a dozen systems to their own devices. The Taurians, in the wake of the disastrous and humiliating Taurian-Canopian War in 2813, turned away from expansionism, and likewise abandoned their Reach holdings. The Magistracy was the last to hold on to any Reach systems, but their claim was always more of a line drawn in the sand against the Taurians than any real colonial ambition; by 2840, their military forces were withdrawn to their own borders, leaving a vast and lawless region behind.

Power cannot tolerate a vacuum, though, and many of the abandoned systems had significant populations, industry, and commerce. Four of those systems were particularly well-suited to continue on as though still part of an interstellar civilization: Coromodir, Itrom, Tyrlon and Guldra. Trade between them continued, and the network of JumpShips continued to serve them, and through them some of the nearby, more marginal systems.

Of the four, Coromodir was the wealthiest and retained the most infrastructure and technology from the Taurian colonization. Two major mercantile houses, the Arano family and the Espinosa family, dominated the remains of the Taurian-led economy, and were natural leaders for the newly independent world. In 2820, the Arano family displaced the figurehead governor the Taurians had left behind, and with the support of the Espinosa family, Wiremu Arano ascended to the governorship.

This independence and leadership was needed as the Taurians withdrew from the remainder of the Reach over the next 20 years. By the time the withdrawal was complete, the Aurigan Reach was a haven for pirates and renegades, warlords setting up their own petty kingdoms, and worse.

In 2860, the Arano and Espinosa families approached their counterparts on Itrom, Guldra and Tyrlon with a proposal: a mutual protection and trade agreement that would allow coordinated and unified responses to the plague of piracy. As the primary financier of the agreement, the Arano representative was given executive authority over the newly formed Aurigan Trade Partnership.

By 2910, there had been a half-century for the ties between the four systems to deepen into alliances. Uniting the eight most powerful noble families of the Aurigan Reach, Keona Arano formalized the Partnership into a government, with herself positioned as High Lady. The other Founding Lords and Ladies sat at her side as members of her advisory council. This new state declared itself the Aurigan Coalition.

Over the next fifty years, the Coalition grew and incorporated many other nearby systems, most of them former Capellan holdings. This included the industrial world of Mechdur, which was already successful and self-sufficient; when Mechdur joined, the Coalition gained access to a powerful industrial and manufacturing engine that allowed for a much higher standard of living than other systems of the Reach could sustain.

The Coalition’s inexorable growth was not simply ignored by its neighbors, though. The Taurian Concordat wasn’t threatened by a simple trade partnership, but now the Coalition was beginning to look like an expansionist state, and a possible rival. It didn’t help matters than some of the systems the Coalition was annexing were former Taurian holdings, many with industrial and technological resources left behind in the withdrawal.

By the second decade of the new millennium, tensions had risen to the point where the Taurians sent a dedicated envoy to their new neighbor state to discuss the legal status of several border worlds, most particularly Qalzi, which the Taurians insisted was still a viable colony and thus under their control. The matter was quickly tangled in treaty negotiations and diplomatic red tape, and the conflict continued to simmer right up to the present day.

Now the powerful and indomitable scion of the Arano family, High Lord Tamati Arano II, has been lost in a tragic space travel accident. His daughter and heir, Lady Kamea Arano, must prepare herself to navigate her state through the dangerous pathways of the Succession Wars. Conflict with the Taurians threatens on one border, and on the other looms the vast power of the Capellan state and its devious ruling family, House Liao; meanwhile internal dissension threatens the prosperity her family has nurtured for over two centuries.
The update also contains a detailed description of how Kevin and the rest of the team "found" and developed this new region. What do you think, BattleTech lore experts?

Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
Seems legit to me (although I almost REEEEEEEE when the guy mentioned Tetatae in the full update). It has been a while since I sperged on BattleTech lore and I have to admit the canon is of wildly varying quality so it's probably best to pick a "undeveloped" area like this and write their own plot, but still make it feel "BattleTechy"

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Loved this update. I'm all for them taking an underutilized area, the periphery, and finding a chunk that has virtually no lore history. People may be butthurt that they will likely not be able to work for or against the major IS houses directly or take part in large canon conflicts, but the small scale, less epic path of a periphery merc is the right choice. Plus, the lack of existing history for the region, along with the close ties of HBS/CGL and the Jordan Wiesman factor may mean that the background lore created may be considered canon instead of apocryphal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Loved this update. I'm all for them taking an underutilized area, the periphery, and finding a chunk that has virtually no lore history. People may be butthurt that they will likely not be able to work for or against the major IS houses directly or take part in large canon conflicts, but the small scale, less epic path of a periphery merc is the right choice. Plus, the lack of existing history for the region, along with the close ties of HBS/CGL and the Jordan Wiesman factor may mean that the background lore created may be considered canon instead of apocryphal.

Hey, welcome back.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Plz give me the recommended order of reading the novels. There have been novels, right? I just played the miniature game ages ago.

Weasel
Plz give me the recommended order of reading the novels. There have been novels, right? I just played the miniature game ages ago.
http://www.stargazerserv.com/csv/btech/battletech_novel_list.htm

Also see third post here for a graphical timeline:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=7653.0

edit: That Sword and Dagger book puts a lot of people off who start with this list as it's a terrible book imo, even by fanfiction standards. Best skip that unless very keen/autistic to read the whole list for some reason.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.stargazerserv.com/csv/btech/battletech_novel_list.htm

Also see third post here for a graphical timeline:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=7653.0

edit: That Sword and Dagger book puts a lot of people off who start with this list as it's a terrible book imo, even by fanfiction standards. Best skip that unless very keen/autistic to read the whole list for some reason.
Thanks for the info. I played the TT Battletech in the early 90s, but never got big time into the lore, skipped books especially. Now, inspired by the Kickstarter project, I started Sword and Dagger some few months ago. Could just get past the 2nd chapter after I had to stop, it was really that terribad.

I will have a look at the rest of the books with renewed interest.

Weasel
Thanks for the info. I played the TT Battletech in the early 90s, but never got big time into the lore, skipped books especially. Now, inspired by the Kickstarter project, I started Sword and Dagger some few months ago. Could just get past the 2nd chapter after I had to stop, it was really that terribad.

They're Battletech books, so don't expect top quality writing, but the usual recommendation is to read the next 6 on the list (Grey Death Legion trilogy and Warrior trilogy) as these are some of the better ones. If you don't like those then no point going further than that, but they give one an overview of the lore and I quite liked the 'scruffy mercs building up a unit' angle to the Grey Death Legion books.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They're Battletech books, so don't expect top quality writing, but the usual recommendation is to read the next 6 on the list (Grey Death Legion trilogy and Warrior trilogy) as these are some of the better ones. If you don't like those then no point going further than that, but they give one an overview of the lore and I quite liked the 'scruffy mercs building up a unit' angle to the Grey Death Legion books.
Yea well, I am not expecting any high-lit here, but boy that first book was atrocious by any standards. Most of the background stories or vignettes that I've read, say in White Wolf or Chaosium source books, are much much better written.

:killit:

Stackpole is supposed to be a decent writer at least, will see how I like it. Better still, I am yet to read Wasteland 2 backer reward books by him (co-authored with Nathan Long).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Sure, no problem.

The Dune series by Frank Herbert gives you a good sense of the dynastic struggle of Battletech's interstellar feudal empire.

The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov gives you a strong sense of the scale of space colonization in the Battletech setting.

You can also watch some of the better examples of the Gundam metaseries to get good focus of mech combat in the Battletech setting.

Weasel

Sure, no problem.

The Dune series by Frank Herbert gives you a good sense of the dynastic struggle of Battletech's interstellar feudal empire.

The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov gives you a strong sense of the scale of space colonization in the Battletech setting.

You can also watch some of the better examples of the Gundam metaseries to get good focus of mech combat in the Battletech setting.

I re-read the Foundation books recently and when one reads about a supposedly religious order tending to machines and preserving knowledge the rest of the population has lost one can't help noticing the similarities to Comstar. They tend to downplay this connection though:

iwv7n8r.jpg

6RcyMia.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom