Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex maintenance on wednesday

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: RPG Codex

Next wednesday (feb 15th) we have some maintenance and upgrade work planned. Judging from past experience, this WILL result in extended downtime. So don't cry if you can't get to the forums on wednesday and go bother us on <A HREF="http://www.rpgcodex.com/main.php?id=irc">IRC</A> instead.

Calis

Pensionado
Just so people know what's planned:

- Merge with TacticularCancer.com forums, bringing TC into the Codex fold
- Rebuild the search table to un-break the forum search
- Other stuff people tell me about before wednesday

Calis

Pensionado
Don't need Shag for anything. Having DU around might be helpful, since I am gonna look around in his code (point stuff to RPGCodex forum, change db connection stuff, change forum ID's) but I'm pretty sure I'll manage even if he's not there.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hrmm... If I was clever, I would've made that really, really easy. Going by my experience on DAC, you'll need to keep the forum code installed on TC so that it has access to it locally (to include files) but the links should be able to be pointed elsewhere.

In configuration.php (system/php-bin), I'd think changing $forum_url to the http:// location of the Codex forums should be all you need to do. And if you keep $phpbb_root_path as it is, it should work. Chances are it won't though but it'd sure be fun to try.

All the forum id's can be changed online via "Site Configuration" in the Admin Panel. Once it's pointed to the right database (in forums/config.php), it should pick them up and it's just a matter of picking the right forums in Site Config and then posting a news item to see what happens. I've added you as an Admin on TC so the system will show you the Admin Panel now.

I should be around Wednesday too. Not sure what time zone you're in though as to whether we'll actually meet up but I'll be in IRC in the codex channel.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Look who's talking. :roll:

Saint fucking asked us if we wanted to join up because god dammit, we're a quality new site and it's something other than Oblivion after goddamn oblivion.

You don't like it? Then don't fucking come to the site.It's that simple.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
TC is a poor imitation of the Codex's spirit. It's less like the Codex's haughty disdain and more like a Counter-Striker screaming "n00B!!! PWNED!!"

Astromarine

Erudite
the content that you cover will be a welcome addition to the fold, and I said so to Saint months ago (in a public thread, not privately. I think it was when Tycoon went public). However, you guys come off as trying WAY WAY WAY WAY too hard. You're loud, obnoxious, you curse too much on your frontpage, and make too big a fuss about yourselves. This is the only reason why I haven't taken part of discussions there, even though the subject interests me a lot more than RPGs. The Codex is abrasive and sarcastic, but VD, Spaz, Saint, and the rest have my respect for their skills as commentators and debaters (even though they sacked me from the staff for inactivity) You don't, Shagnak can't because he's pissed half the time, and Patrick probably would if he didn't obfuscate his points so much under pooperscoopitudes.

Fix that, realize that you can grow up without selling out, and I'll be the site's #1 fan. Till then, I'll just lament that you'll be allowed to bring your particular brand of juvenillia into these forums, as if it needed any more.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
We're just starting it out, mang. Give us time.

I'll try and tone down the IN YO FACE BADASS CAPTIAL LETTERS OH YA BABY stuff, but I think the real problem we're having with Tcancer is the lack of content (partly my fault, I kept putting off my space rangers 2 and hammer & sickle review and now I lost both of them due to a hard drive crash) and inactivity in the forums, aside from susan's spammings. Teamin' up with the codex will solve that one, and I'm trying to get more content like interviews and previews going. I've been talking to the guys at Colossai studios who are working on a hex-based TBS called Frontline Nation and they seem quite interested.

Jason

chasing a bee
I agree with Astro's complaints to some degree. TC does have plenty of room to grow and tone down a bit, especially when it involves publically insulting potential interviewees. I personally wouldn't bring up the immaturity criticism since I don't have a leg to stand on in that department (and neither does King "elf boobies" Comrade). That said, I do enjoy the site because I appreciate it for what it is: a bunch of immature, yet somewhat intelligent, nerds having fun with something they all care about. And that's why I'll keep posting there, or at least until NL finally calls the Feds on me for internet stalking and general creepieness.

And don't forget: mutant squirrels and hippo-lizards.

chaedwards

Liturgist
100% in agreement with Astromarine. The Codex's undernourished Strategy forums already exist, and are many times more intelligent than TCancer.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I don't see you guys posting any reviews or interviews or any of that in the Strategy discussion forum. Hell, I barely see any posts in there period.

TCancer has some rough spots, it just started FFS. But it has a lot more to offer than the current strategy forum does and hey, maybe it'll divert the discussions here away from Oblivion (and grammar now, it seems) to something actually interesting.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Well, I don't come to the Codex for reviews or interviews, but for discussion. And whilst there aren't that many posts in there, they are at least moderately interesting and mature. There may well be a reason that you have about five people alone posting in your forums.

Still, if you can tone down the news posting so that isn't instantly recognisable as the work of a schoolboy, then you may be able to pick up on the large number of strategy fans in the Codex, although they may well only inhabit the forums.

I love strategy games, and would be a regular at TC if I felt that anyone there ever said anything worthwhile, or indeed posted more than two sentences every post. Let's just hope your incorporation brings that about.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Like I said, we're justing starting out. Give us time, you'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom