Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Sweden Game Conference 2016: Cautionary Tales and (More) Design Lessons Learned with Chris Avellone

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone

Chris Avellone was once again a speaker at the annual Sweden Game Conference this year. That was back in October, and today they finally got around to uploading a video of his talk to their YouTube channel. Entitled "Cautionary Tales and (More) Design Lessons Learned", the talk is essentially a stream of random game development and project management advice, structured as a kind of word association exercise. It's impossible to summarize, but makes for a fast-paced and entertaining watch:

There's no new information about the games Chris is working on here, nor is there much of the implied drama we may have been conditioned to expect from him, but with a close watch one might be able to pick up some hints. For example, judging by the repeated references to SHODAN, it seems like that as of October, the game that was most on Chris' mind was the System Shock remake.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I completely forgot about this. Had I remembered, I could have gone there and stalked him.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the possible games he is talking about in the "impossible" part? About save game transfer. Is it transfer to fallout 2? Because Bioware did that in Baldur's gate, so it can't be later than that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the possible games he is talking about in the "impossible" part? About save game transfer. Is it transfer to fallout 2? Because Bioware did that in Baldur's gate, so it can't be later than that.

I suspect it's KOTOR->KOTOR2. Probably told it was impossible because of consoles etc.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In theory we could do some sort of youtube playlist based on our previous newsposts I guess, but I fear it'd basically end up being an assortment of Chris Avellone's talks on various subjects plus a bunch of Matt Chat interviews.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gaider, Avellone ... Is this a conference for has-been(s) ?

Archibald

Arcane
In theory we could do some sort of youtube playlist based on our previous newsposts I guess, but I fear it'd basically end up being an assortment of Chris Avellone's talks on various subjects plus a bunch of Matt Chat interviews.

I don't see a problem with this? Besides, if this became a thing I'm sure that some monocled posters would find some additional material in time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom