Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2018

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the RPG Codex 2018 GOTY Award!

This year we had 773 voters, who rated a whopping 114 RPGs that came out in 2018, including DLCs, PC ports and remakes. Once again we had three categories: Game of the Year, Best Expansion/DLC and Best PC Port/Remaster.

For those of you who just want the TL;DR, here are the winners:

Game of the Year
1st - Pathfinder: Kingmaker
2nd - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
3rd - ATOM RPG

Best Remake/Port
The Bard's Tale Trilogy

Best DLC/Expansion
Battle Brothers: Beast & Exploration

For the full results and fancy graphs, just follow the link below.

Read the full article: RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I didn't hear about this until just 20 minutes ago, so I was far too late to vote, but that doesn't matter much because I only played one game on the entire list... and it wasn't that good.

If I had gotten a chance to vote, however, I hereby state that I would have downvoted Fallout 76 for many obvious reasons, though I normally don't do such a thing.

Bohr

Arcane
Good results :salute:

Just needed a small section to gloat over the corpses of the absolute duds, Sword Coast Legends style...

PS: Typo in the heading :"DLCs/Expasions"

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fairly satisfied with the results, but voting that shameless cashgrab as 2nd best DLC is disgraceful. Charging 8 yuro for just an additional companion and class would have been rightfully ridiculed had this been any other game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fairly satisfied with the results, but voting that shameless cashgrab as 2nd best DLC is disgraceful. Charging 8 yuro for just an additional companion and class would have been rightfully ridiculed had this been any other game.

Yes, with all due respect for Pathfinder (it deserves its #1 spot) The Wildcards being ahead of The Forgotten Sanctum is a really unserious result. Fanboys gonna fanboy! At least it got close.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Fair results. Having played both Kingmaker and PoE2, I must concede Kingmaker was the better game, even though it had some huge homo characters. I'll give it another shot when they've fully DLC'd and fully patched the game.

I think Aeon of Sands may have scored pretty well if people had only played it. But I haven't even played it myself (yet).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think Aeon of Sands may have scored pretty well if people had only played it. But I haven't even played it myself (yet).
I played it a bit and was disappointed... the setting and writing are cool, but it feels like a mediocre 90s blobber.

It's extremely faithful and retro, adds nothing new to the genre (not even widescreen), but also fails to rival even B-side blobbers like Stone Prophet.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I played it a bit and was disappointed... the setting and writing are cool, but it feels like a mediocre 90s blobber.

It's extremely faithful and retro, adds nothing new to the genre (not even widescreen), but also fails to rival even B-side blobbers like Stone Prophet.
yeah the setting and writing being cool is pretty much what I heard. guess I shouldn't chalk it up as more than that without first playing it myself

Mark Richard

Arcane
Whether due to my own negligence or the option not being initially included, I regret that I didn't get to praise Ghost of a Tale with a well deserved top score. Undoubtedly a highlight of the year, it still astounds me to learn it was created by a one-man studio.

Wasn't sure if Kingdom Come's early release in the year was going to be an advantage or disadvantage. RPG fans were given more time to play it than the late releases of Pathfinder and ATOM, but on the other hand those games are fresher in the mind. ATOM and Kenshi had December releases, meaning they didn't get out of the gate until the race was nearly over, and yet they still nabbed a respectable third and forth place!

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I didn't know so many people liked Ghost of Tale,didn't know it was and rpg too but these days everyone and their mothers are rpgs so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom