Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Post-apocalyptic RPG Encased is now in closed alpha

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dark Crystal Games; Encased

Dark Crystal Games' Fallout-inspired post-apocalyptic RPG Encased was successfully crowdfunded last year to the tune of €105k. The game was supposed to be released on Steam Early Access in the first quarter of 2019 with a final release later in the year, but unsurprisingly development has taken longer than expected. What we got this week instead is the release of the backers-only closed alpha. Since you had to pledge a crazy €215 to gain alpha access we've had no gameplay impressions whatsoever, but luckily a couple of days later Dark Crystal decided to broadcast a 1.5 hour Q&A stream with plenty of footage. So here's that along with details from the latest Kickstarter update:

The Dark Crystal Games team that never leaves its office is once again with you, and we have some news.

The first one: we are forced to postpone the early access game release (we’ll tell you a bit later why).

The second one: we are releasing a restricted access version of the game for alpha backers on Steam. And if you are an alpha backer, then perhaps the access key for the alpha version is making it to your email inbox right now, and the alpha build itself is being uploaded to Steam!

[...] “Alpha”, that is coming out in the next couple of hours, is an unfinished version of the game. The content of the first official version of Encased is very limited, all that the game consists of, including graphic assets, render, role-playing system, sound, interface, plot, et c. is in the non-final state and will be finalized by release date.

The alpha version of Encased is not intended for public display and sale, and is distributed exclusively for kickstarter-backers. But what is waiting for you in this “alpha”? An early version of the character editor, several large locations and quests, a lot (really, a lot!) of loot. As well as the opportunity to fry a cockroach, climb into the ventilation, make a bat with nails and look at the gloomy sands of the Dome, covered with fog.

In fact, this closed alpha is the first official release for us as a team. And we, like you, want this game to be of high quality, interesting and exciting, and hope that the adventures under the Dome will be remembered by everyone who happened to get into it.

Aside from the delay, our plans remain the same: shortly after the alpha, we will release the beta, which will be available to a much larger number of players. After eliminating bugs and polishing the content, the long-awaited EA-version will be released.

We cannot announce the release date yet, but be sure that this will happen soon enough. The Spire accepts shipments, the White Wing examines relics, the team works, and Encased moves towards the early access.

Looks promising. Hopefully the 21 people who pledged enough to gain access to the alpha are enjoying themselves. As a reminder, all backers are eligible for the Early Access release, so once that's out we'll know for sure whether Encased is up to the standard of fellow Russian Fallout-like ATOM.

PrettyDeadman

This is the second most ambitious and inclined game after Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Dwarf Fortress.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
We're finally getting some Incline again

jhwuol.jpg

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
So anyone played it? I have some hopes for the game, but walling alpha & beta beyond a $65 tier was damn steep for a glorified tester. Now that, along with blocking offsite yt videos seems like they're making some weird development choices...
Maybe I missed them, but I didn't see any combat or stealth. fwiw it looks like we won't be able to start combat from higher elevations or climb in combat.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So anyone played it? I have some hopes for the game, but walling alpha & beta beyond a $65 tier was damn steep for a glorified tester. Now that, along with blocking offsite yt videos seems like they're making some weird development choices...
Maybe I missed them, but I didn't see any combat or stealth. fwiw it looks like we won't be able to start combat from higher elevations or climb in combat.

There was no combat in the demo because it's just Alpha and they are working on it.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
That fade of screen when character was using lift on top of the building, makes me think that game will have shitload loading screens and no vertical mobility in combat. If ofc there will be a game and not just broken promises. Disabled playback on other sites also concerning.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I forget if they promised verticality or not, I don't think they did, but that's what I was saying too. Doesn't look like we'll be able to lob grenades from above, or get shot at from a balcony, if that matters to anyone. I can't imagine they're this far along without combat pretty much figured out, I'm not expecting a reinvented wheel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol come on, playback being disabled on embed is not some sort of sinister censorship that bodes ill™. All you have to do is click.

It might be the default setting for livestreams, or maybe they wanted people to participate in the chat which you can't do when it's embedded.

Saduj

Arcane
Didn’t say it was a cover up or plot. Just an odd choice given that this is promotional material that they should want plastered all over the place.

I wasn’t part of the “this is the same team as After Reset” crowd.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If some Codexer have access to that early alphs - show up!
Ant secretly tell us all what's the deal there, you will harvest a lot of brofists. )

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Could be neat. I'm up for more Fallout clones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom