Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium: Welcome to Revachol

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Disco Elysium; Robert Kurvitz; ZA/UM

We're now a week away from the release of Disco Elysium, AKA the next Planescape: Torment™. Preview keys have been available since last Wednesday, with a few gameplay videos showing up on YouTube as a result. Starting from today, prominent Twitch streamers such as Cohh Carnage have also been playing through the game. But if you don't want to sit through hours of footage to learn more about the world of Disco Elysium, Robert Kurvitz has got your back. Today's development update is an introduction to the city of Revachol, once the seat of a powerful island kingdom, now in financial servitude to foreign powers after a failed revolution and threatened by an encroaching "anti-reality mass" known as the Pale. It's a good update, and it even includes a video - although it's so short that I almost suspect the developers only made it so I would post about the update. To compensate for that, I'll also post another video that they released a few days ago, which is a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of a certain rather memorable character. And an excerpt, of course.

There is no city in the world with more contrasts than Revachol. The broken, magnificent, disgraced former capital of the world. A great sky on fire, reflecting off broken glass. Revachol the Suzerain, Revachol the Commune, Revachol the Administrative Region where all forms of government have failed. Revachol the Resolver, the answer to the great burning questions of history. How should we live? Will the horror ever end?

Revachol sits on a fertile island in the middle of the Insulindian Ocean, the world’s largest body of water; in the eye of a great archipelago called Face-A-La-Mer. To be from Revachol is to be Revacholian. To be deserted, destroyed. A drug addict with an immunodeficiency disorder. A joke and a clown and a loser baby.

It’s like the hanged man behind the hostel cafeteria said: there’s nothing funny about jokes.

There’s nothing funny about you either. Your swollen face in the mirror. A past you don’t recognize, a world you can’t bear to remember. The river Esperance flows from north to south, splitting the city in two. In its delta, great ghosts rise to the sky – the financial district. To the east: Le Jardin. Houses with gardens rise along the mountainside, up to Saint-Batiste where two of the world’s five largest companies keep their headquarters. But you don’t wake up there – you wake up west of the river.

West of the river, it’s funky-baby holocaust time all day every day. In East-Jamrock, wild animals roam the valley at night – giraffes that escaped from the Royal Zoo 50 years ago. Giraffes – even-toed ungulates from the savannah. The local kiosque chain Frittte (sic) employs a private army of 2000 men to guard its properties in Jamrock and Faubourg. That’s how bad the crime rate is – you need a private army to run a kiosque chain. And deregulation? They built a citizen-funded primitive nuclear reactor on the river. And it immediately entered core meltdown. That’s pretty deregulated if you ask me. Below Precinct 41 there’s a kebab merchant called Kuklov who makes kebabs that make you immortal if you can eat three and survive. In Villalobos an entire street is walled off and turned into a poppy field by a deified gangster called The Mazda, while his mortal enemy La Puta Madre exclusively employs former narcotics officers to farm his own fields. Through underground tunnels, kids descend into Le Royaume, the resting place of three centuries’ worth of the royal dead, to bring up rat tails and the pearl-encrusted teeth of civil servants. Child labour dungeoneering is a cottage industry. Someone came up with a synthetic opiate called the hunch that has a high lasting for two seconds. You only feel it while you’re injecting it.

It has not been an easy life. Things have not gone well for you. That love thing didn’t work out. Radio networks criss-cross the air, spewing meaningless, feverish political rhetoric. Beyond the curve of the horizon, where the ocean ends, there is an unknowable anti-reality mass called the pale. It has been there for as long as human beings have written down history. And it’s advancing.

The year is ’52. It’s the 5th of March and you’re lying on the floor of the Whirling-In-Rags hostel cafeteria. In Martinaise, North Jamrock. The sound of Lieutenant Kitsuragi’s motor carriage arriving on the scene interrupts what can only be described as an act of self-annulment through alcohol and amphetamine use. Your bell bottom pants make your ass look fat and, dear god, you think you’ve lost your badge.

It’s up to you – and you alone – to save the whole world. To untie the great knot. To crack the case. To resolve reality. You are the last Revacholian hero. The Revacholian hero has nothing, but he must conquer everything. If he doesn’t care, no one does. All of it will slowly roll into the heavens under the advancing pale, or it will contract into a singular miracle only the Revacholian hero can deliver.

All you have to help you in this – the last and the greatest of the cases undertaken by man on Earth, in the sheer face of death and history – is Lieutenant Kim Kitsuragi from Precinct 57.

Seven days till funky-baby holocaust time.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have barely looked at a single piece of pre-release content for this game, but imagine crowning something as the next Planescape Torment before anyone has even played the game

Are you really going to trust Fluent's opinion after he has played the beta build???

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It’s up to you – and you alone – to save the whole world. To untie the great knot. To crack the case. To resolve reality. You are the last Revacholian hero. The Revacholian hero has nothing, but he must conquer everything. If he doesn’t care, no one does. All of it will slowly roll into the heavens under the advancing pale, or it will contract into a singular miracle only the Revacholian hero can deliver.

Can someone translate this pretentious word salad into human language?

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer

you are the chosen one

FeelTheRads

Arcane
ShitNick is still butthurt about some people not being in awe about The SJW Worlds, and for some reason associates people who are interested in this game to people who are not interested in the shit game he chose to whiteknight at the moment.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Seriously, I thought this was supposed to be down-to-earth cop game. Why am I reading all this try-hard wannabe mysticism nonsense about "resolving reality", "untying great knots" and "contraction of singular miracles". WTF?

Prime Junta you better explain yourself fella.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Seriously, I thought this was supposed to be down-to-earth cop game. Why am I reading all this try-hard wannabe mysticism nonsense about "resolving reality", "untying great knots" and "contraction of singular miracles". WTF?

:negative:

I share your pain

v1rus

Arcane
Also, I want all of you who are afraid to get hyped up to know that i understand you bros. I fully do. To be hurt by a game, hurts, so fucking much. I was never the same after Gothic 3. Literally. And I will never let a game treat me that way again. In my nightmares, i still play the game for the first time. Its terrible, like it took a part of me I didnt even know is there.

This DE shit looks like its gonna be fun tho. We'll see.

Dude, those sentences are simply vulgar euphemisms for a variety of sexual acts. I'm surprised they went over your head. You are clearly reading too much into the writer's intent here.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

Dude, those sentences are simply vulgar euphemisms for a variety of sexual acts. I'm surprised they went over your head. You are clearly reading too much into the writer's intent here.
You have the gay cancer.

You have the gay cancer.

And?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm actually really excited about this. I had no idea why people were raving at Disco Elysium, so I never bothered to look into it, but this shit looks greats!

Edit: And the Arab's voice was actually nice. He should learn English because Arabic just doesn't sound pleasant to the ear at all.

Edit: And the Arab's voice was actually nice. He should learn English because Arabic just doesn't sound pleasant to the ear at all.

He is actually speaking some crazy dialect called ""British"" """"""English"""""" in that video, not Arabic, but I don't blame you its a common mixup.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!

You have the gay cancer.

And?
You have the gay cancer.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
He is actually speaking British "English" in that video, not Arabic, but I don't blame you its a common mixup.
I meant in his rapping, but you're right tbh Not like there'll be a difference between British "English" and Arabic in about a decade or so if Londonistan keeps at it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

It’s like hard boiled Camus.

You aren’t the chosen one and you aren’t trying to save the world (as far as I know—maybe there’s a build where this seems to be the case, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest it). You’re solving a murder and trying to put your life back together.

That paragraph feels like an homage to Raymond Chandler’s essay about detective fiction, The Simple Art of Murder, mixed with an homage to Albert Camus’ The Myth of Sisyphus (or really the whole book of essays it’s part of, usually translated as The Rebel). They’re both pretty quick reads. This is close to how Chandler talks about characters like Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe at the end of his essay; it’s also how Camus talks about Sisyphus and other examples of what he calls the absurd hero.

Here’s what I suspect Kurvitz is riffing off of:

In everything that can be called art there is a quality of redemption. It may be pure tragedy, if it is high tragedy, and it may be pity and irony, and it may be the raucous laughter of the strong man. But down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. The detective in this kind of story must be such a man. He is the hero; he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor—by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world. I do not care much about his private life; he is neither a eunuch nor a satyr; I think he might seduce a duchess and I am quite sure he would not spoil a virgin; if he is a man of honor in one thing, he is that in all things.

He is a relatively poor man, or he would not be a detective at all. He is a common man or he could not go among common people. He has a sense of character, or he would not know his job. He will take no man’s money dishonestly and no man’s insolence without a due and dispassionate revenge. He is a lonely man and his pride is that you will treat him as a proud man or be very sorry you ever saw him. He talks as the man of his age talks—that is, with rude wit, a lively sense of the grotesque, a disgust for sham, and a contempt for pettiness.

The story is this man’s adventure in search of a hidden truth, and it would be no adventure if it did not happen to a man fit for adventure. He has a range of awareness that startles you, but it belongs to him by right, because it belongs to the world he lives in. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in.

https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20140930/html.php

http://dbanach.com/sisyphus.htm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom