Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Urban Strife private alpha released, now on Steam and coming to Early Access in Q4 2020

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Urban Strife; White Pond Games

The private alpha for White Pond Games' promising zombie survival RPG Urban Strife was supposed to have started on May 14th. In practice the Steam keys were only sent out today, which means the crowdfunded backer build that was scheduled for this month is delayed. The good news is that White Pond have finally launched the game's Steam page, including its first proper trailer in quite some time. Check it out:

Urban Strife will be released on Steam Early Access later this year in Q4, presumably after it's been sufficiently tested by the alpha and backer build players. According to the FAQ, White Pond plan to keep the game in Early Access for six months, so I guess that means we're looking at a tentative final release date in Q2 2021.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I dunno, the mechanical combat layer looks good. Wish this game had more style, a proper ST would do wonders.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Combat_Ranged_Auto.gif

Are those piñata zombies stuffed with party confetti?

Humanophage

Arcane
Thought it was a game about the BLM Boogaloo......came away disappointed....

:negative:
Indeed, it's more like Suburban Strife by the looks of it.

That said, the setting is southern while all the zombies are conspicuously white, which seems facetious given that the running zombie behaviour is to a large degree inspired by urban rioting (and we know who does that). The protagonist has a huge sunwheel on his chest where a swastika or a kolovrat might be (6 rays instead of 4 or 8). He is an armed "redneck" European-American with "British" hair (White Pond's description). Southern police and the sheriff seem like the good guys, even though they are the arch-villains of BLM. The team also includes Dmitry and Miguel, which is an obvious reference to JA2 (Dmitry even looks racially ambiguous like the original), and they were fighting for monarchy in Latin America - obviously right-wing contras. They're called "urban militia", and we know what's that in the southern context. The protagonist militiaman is even wearing a red shirt, although that's stretching it a bit. So it ticks all the right boxes without actually stating anything openly.

Admittedly, the visuals are a little generic compared to ATOM RPG, although I can see some distinctiveness in the writing. What's so southern about it? Could be the Midwest, or really anything - just random abandoned buildings. I'm not sure they are allowed to make it less generic though. E.g., they'd probably get attacked for even using the confederate flag. They could play it right for some free publicity as in the case of Rimworld and the gays, but the BLM lobby seems more extreme even if even less interested in gaming.

Last edited:
The zombies shuffling in unison like they're in the Thriller video looks mega goofy, hopefully they implement more animations.

Once you will start exploring, you'll find a world populated with living, busy NPCs, with their own life and convictions. Among these you're to find those willing to help you - provided you help them first. And as long as you serve their interests. Because in Urban everyone has an agenda.

rating_agenda.png

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Zombies moving at the same time is a good thing, it will shorten the duration of enemy turns - however, IF additional movement animations could be made then they would look like a proper shuffling, shambling horde and THAT would be fucking A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom