Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter Update #72: Beta Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

After wrapping up the stage two alpha test for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous in December, Owlcat Games settled in for the long and quiet holiday season, promising a beta release in January. In the end, the beta had to be slightly delayed in order to allow them to finalize the game's turn-based combat mode, but it's finally out today. The Kickstarter update has the details on what it includes. Besides the aforementioned turn-based mode, there's a new crafting system that can be used during rest, the UI has been overhauled, and the game's fourth act has been added. Furthermore, Wrath of the Righteous finally has a Steam page now, which means there's a new trailer. It's an action-packed combat gameplay trailer, which I'll post along with the highlights from the update:

Rest and Crafting

One of the things you should understand about Worldwound - there are no beautiful lush forests or peaceful plains. It is a demon-infested wasteland and a journey through it is not an easy feat. While in the open you are exposed to corrupting influence of the Worldwound, which will hinder you in different ways. The longer you stay in the wild - the harsher effects you will get.

And a new feature you will see in Beta, and that has already captured your attention, is crafting. You will be able to create potions and scrolls during the rest (later there will be an option to create soups, but it isn’t available in Beta).

To craft those consumables you need either Brew Potion or Scribe Scrolls feats.

Potions and scrolls are self-descriptive. Depending on ingredients and character's level/skill you can get different kinds of potions and scrolls. Creating a potion or a scroll might take up to 5 days (depending on how powerful it is).

Cooking is also coming back for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, you will even see some of the old recipes coming back. But we will share more details later.

Turn-based Mode

With the beta, the turn-based mode is coming to Wrath of the Righteous!

There is nothing more to tell, except that there might be bugs with some new classes and how they interact with this system.

New UI

There are a lot of changes and it would take too much time to list them all. As you can see, the UI has changed pretty drastically and it is still in development. Character creation and level up, transitions, map, rest, meta-magic - nearly everything was changed to make the UI better. The only part of UI that hasn’t been implemented yet is Encyclopedia.

We hope that our new UI is much more readable and will help you make your decisions during character creation and level up easier.

There were some other ideas about how different parts of the UI should look, about which we might talk sometime later in the future.

Act 4

A new Act to play through. It contains everything you expect - plot development, Mythic and companion quests, side quests, and exploration! We wanted to provide you with the whole experience for this part of the game, so we included all of the locations - even those that are currently missing textures. In all other locations the scenery there is terrific and, later, every location in Act 4 will look great. We don’t want to spoil it for you with additional details, but we can say that it will be an otherworldly experience.

In an additional update published shortly after this one, Owlcat also announced the beginning of a promotional "community quest". It's a series of community events that will allow fans to vote on the story of the game's final trailer, with the first vote on February 5th. For more details on that, check out the official website. But for now, let's enjoy finally being able to see Wrath of the Righteous in action.

Rarre

Educated
I don't like models... wowylike, I willl have to play it zoomed out...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that got Blizzard vibes from the art. The first time I watched the trailer, it immediately reminded me of Diablo III, Act III. *shiver*

Last edited:
For those who've played: How's the tone of this compare to Kingmaker? Kingmaker had a nice progression of stakes throughout the game, starting off pretty low-key and ending up suitably high-level DnD epic. From everything I've seen about this one it seems it's starting off with the stakes and scope already "epic".

VHS9000

Novice
So they have not adjusted animations. This shit will be unplayable without speedhack as the first one was.

Bladderfish

Augur
All I wanna know is this:

Are the companions as forgettable, contrived, unattractive, small-breasted and badly written as the first game? I mean at least give us some feckin high quality portraits along with some over-the-top, enjoyable voice-acting, like in Icewind Dale.

Honestly, I quite liked the first game besides the badly designed "King" parts. But the companions were dogshit.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I liked most stuff except the companions and minigames. Which felt like 30% of the game.

Ol'man

Educated
For those who've played: How's the tone of this compare to Kingmaker? Kingmaker had a nice progression of stakes throughout the game, starting off pretty low-key and ending up suitably high-level DnD epic. From everything I've seen about this one it seems it's starting off with the stakes and scope already "epic".

High stakes and epic is how it starts.

Ol'man

Educated

Are the companions as forgettable, contrived, unattractive, small-breasted and badly written as the first game? I mean at least give us some feckin high quality portraits along with some over-the-top, enjoyable voice-acting, like in Icewind Dale.

Honestly, I quite liked the first game besides the badly designed "King" parts. But the companions were dogshit.

The companions are a lot better overall excluding a few of the better ones in PF:KM (e.g. Nok-Nok).

But there aren't really any low key characters (so and so was just a soldier before shit hit the fan) that happen to have interesting personalities and that can be tiresome in it's own way (if everyone is special no one is special).

Delterius

Arcane
you're already dying when the game starts so rip

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Someone needs to figure out how to replace the shit companion portraits with some of the fancy deviantart mod custom portraits. Those were great. Especially for the waifu-aholics on this site.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Not that I'm especially enthusiastic about this one but the fucking low energy cunts are going all-out on their complaining about this I see. Always feels pretty good to rub one out I guess, a bit of complaining here and there never hurt anyone after all. Awww yeah, go die in a ditch somewhere

harhar!

Augur
The story seems pretty trite again. I guess it will be like the last game and the gameplay makes up for it.

does everyone end up with belts of CON/DEX/ STR +4/+4/+4 and hats of INT/CHA/ WIS +4/+4+/4 and you have AC 78 and and 14 different spells and songs you have to cast to begin every battle so you can have the needed +61 to hit the AC 79 and all base stats are 21 (if you are a weakling noob) etc??

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

does everyone end up with belts of CON/DEX/ STR +4/+4/+4 and hats of INT/CHA/ WIS +4/+4+/4 and you have AC 78 and and 14 different spells and songs you have to cast to begin every battle so you can have the needed +61 to hit the AC 79 and all base stats are 21 (if you are a weakling noob) etc??
I'm going to say yes since this is a problem inherent to the core design of high level tabletop Pathfinder/3.X. Third edition systems are built around item progression as much as character.

Athostar

Novice
I might be in the minority, I'm not sure but I always hated the tedium of pre-buffing before every single fight in any game that featured it as a sort of requirement.

Dr Schultz

Augur
I might be in the minority, I'm not sure but I always hated the tedium of pre-buffing before every single fight in any game that featured it as a sort of requirement.

If you are in the minority, the majority has bad taste for sure.
Few things can be universally considered "bad design" but the reliance of some games on pre-buff chains is definitely among them.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Few things can be universally consider "bad design" but the reliance of some games on pre-buff chains is definitely among them.

I think pre-buffing is fine if the situation realistically calls for it. Party casting protection from energy before entering a monster lair with a particular element. Freedom of movement if expected to be encountering monsters that like to grapple etc.

It feels a bit meta-gamey with short term buffs before a boss fight that's unexpected from character perspective, especially with reloading saves. Obviously if the characters are somehow alerted in character to what's coming up then it's a different situation.

Dr Schultz

Augur

Few things can be universally consider "bad design" but the reliance of some games on pre-buff chains is definitely among them.

I think pre-buffing is fine if the situation realistically calls for it. Party casting protection from energy before entering a monster lair with a particular element. Freedom of movement if expected to be encountering monsters that like to grapple etc.

It feels a bit meta-gamey with short term buffs before a boss fight that's unexpected from character perspective, especially with reloading saves. Obviously if the characters are somehow alerted in character to what's coming up then it's a different situation.

It is meta-gamey, but the real problem with this approach lies elsewhere. In a good tactical combat system, you, as a player, should be tasked with the choice of the right action at the right moment (Is it better to attack o to buff my front-liners? Time for a vicious debuff or for a mass-healing? Etc.)
Allowing players to use pre-buff chains (even worse, informed by meta-game knowledge acquired through death and reload) makes the decision-making process during the actual combat poorer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom