Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Geneforge 2 interview

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Geneforge 2

For those interested in <A href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge2/index.html">Geneforge 2</a>, we've just posted <A href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=51">an interview</a> with <b>Jeff Vogel</b> of <A href="http://www.spidweb.com">Spiderweb Software</a> about all the love that will be the sequel to <A href="http://www.spidweb.com/geneforge/index.html">Geneforge</a>. For example:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>1.) Can you briefly explain, for those who haven't played the first one, the world of Geneforge? What do you think makes this setting interesting for players?</i>
<br>
<br>
<b>Jeff Vogel:</b> Basically, you are a Shaper. You're a member of a secretive magical sect that has the ability to create and mutate life forms to suit their purposes. So they spent half their time creating horrible armies of mutant monsters and half the time killing anyone who tries to steal their secrets.
<br>
<br>
It has appeal in part because people like having their own horrible army of mutant monsters.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I just like that description of the setting.
<br>

Spazmo

Erudite
I never thought the Shapers were so... nefarious. This gives off a fairly strong conspiracy vibe, which could be very cool.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
I never thought the Shapers were so... nefarious. This gives off a fairly strong conspiracy vibe, which could be very cool.

I kind of got that impression by the holding cells, the whips, and various other impliments of keeping serviles and other creatures in line.

I'm just waiting on Deathy to read the interview and comment on it.

Spazmo

Erudite
Disciplining creations is a given. Killing other human beings for Shaper secrets is something else.

Oh, dear. I'm going to get dragged into an argument about whether or not Serviles are people, aren't I?

Deathy

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
I'm just waiting on Deathy to read the interview and comment on it.

I like the frontier setting, if it doesn't go too far into the Shaper society (which I still maintain should always be a mystery, since it adds so much to the charm of the game).
It looks to me like the game will have a colonial Shaper vibe to it. That's something to look forward to, I think.

I'd like to get into a bit more depth as to what I thought of the interview, but I don't have too much time now.

Maybe I'll write a few thousand words over the weekend, since I love talking about Geneforge so much.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Actually I'm rather interested in the different factions. Can't wait to find the shaper loyalists and learn more about shaper society. Or the new "taker-like"sect...they sound like they could be a blast.
And if that is not enough....forbidden tech, a frontier setting and finally there are other shapers to communicate with!
Yay,

trash

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
Disciplining creations is a given. Killing other human beings for Shaper secrets is something else.

Oh, dear. I'm going to get dragged into an argument about whether or not Serviles are people, aren't I?

Not really, but think about what Agents are for, stealthy but powerful killing of people the Shapers don't like.

Deathy said:
I like the frontier setting, if it doesn't go too far into the Shaper society (which I still maintain should always be a mystery, since it adds so much to the charm of the game).

Yeah, frontier kind of changes things. I'm guessing, per the interview, that Geneforge will wrap up as a series in the mainland area of the Shapers, since Vogel states that we will eventually know everything about them.

It's an interesting explanation of why they use wood to make buildings versus Sucia. They wouldn't have the construction assets far out there to make everything out of stone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom