Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadow of the Wyrm splashes Version 1.30

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Shadow of the Wyrm has been updated to v1.30 of the open world rogue-like. The game offers questing, good methods, bad methods, towns, NPCs, boats and sailing, and more with even more to come. You can use both ASCII and downloadable sprite packs depending on how you like your rogue-likes. Here's a month old gameplay video and some of the NEW changes:

• Settlements are now named during world generation.
  • Cloak of Shadows now adds a little evade and soak as well as the Shadow resistance, making it more useful as a general-purpose buff.
  • Items generated for the player (via NPCs, quest rewards, and so on) are now prevented from having cursed status (Mythrrinthael).
  • The tick message for stoning is now displayed in red, to be more visible against other messages (Poser Destroyer).
  • Dropping items in water now generates a "Splash!" message.
  • The hireling and adventurer generation functions have been updated so that optional race and class IDs can be specified. A random value will be chosen for each if not specified or if the ID is bad.
  • Additional name combinations.
  • Defined a new "meat" material type, and named the wood one "wood/plant".
  • A number of locations now have advisor NPCs. Set a group quest for the advisor in Isen Dun.
  • Drinking a large quantity of alcohol at once can now inflict immediate poison status.

Material types are something every CRPG needs to incorporate. You have that, there's a lot of interesting things that you can add beyond that.

Spotted at Temple of the Roguelike.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What graphics is this game mirroring? They remindmd of an old c64, appleII, or sonething else.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
That looks like pee pee poo poo.

Really tired of indieshit devs trying to emulate all sorts of pixelart that looks godawful on modern displays.

Personally, like the art, but I'm one of those indieshit devs who try to emulate pixel art, so I'm obviously biased. I grew up on this era of games so I sometimes prefer this style to modern graphics. Will probably give it a shot.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Gfx Reminds me a lot of Wizard's Crown, Shard of Spring, and a touch of Xyphus. Those aren't ascii... right?

Sentinel

Arcane
That looks like pee pee poo poo.

Really tired of indieshit devs trying to emulate all sorts of pixelart that looks godawful on modern displays.

Personally, like the art, but I'm one of those indieshit devs who try to emulate pixel art, so I'm obviously biased. I grew up on this era of games so I sometimes prefer this style to modern graphics. Will probably give it a shot.
I also like pixel shit but only if I'm playing on screens from 30 years ago. This looks fucking disgusting.

Codex Year of the Donut
people shitting on a very good roguelike to score codex cred unaware that it's actually a good, well-liked game by people who play roguelikes

Lagi

Savant
this game is adom 2, i remember playing it years ago. I even create a key script for keys, to play it faster :D. the difficulty of game depend from the class you choose, i even ask the dev about why its soo much easier to start as warrior than apothecary.

The tileset is nice, good enough so you dont have to wonder what is blue "K", but still its give this asci vibe. From 5 min of play, looks like there is loads of content to explore, new skills etc. I remember i takes me days to figure out i need to go into water (which seems more dangerous than lava in adom-esque games :) ) in starting town to get to the boat :D

Shame Sunday is over.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Are the generic dungeons in this game finite? I never reached the end of one of these, while the one near the village where you can start has some points of interest in some floors but I never even found any in any other.

This is clearly a game to recommend to people who like quests and handcrafted dungeons linked to quests in their roguelikes, the game is well executed and contains a lot of content.

There are plenty of things I like. Killing a strong monster will earn you up to 3 levels while farming rats is pointless after the first 5 minutes of the game, the skill system is made of basic PnP things with various weapon and utility skills and a warrior will bump and use consumables : scrolls, wands, potions (compared with games where they alternate cooldown ninja stuff that I can occasionnally enjoy too but I much prefer the way of this game anyway, by the way obvisouly also compared with games where you can bump but consumable management is not as involved, when not both).

Food is a thing, and in practice is mostly consumed when sailing between locations. You're not flooded with money.

Generate a warrior, start in the village (you can also start in a big city with plenty of quest givers, especially), you'll quickly have to choose between immediately being able to read, which means to read scrolls especially (a warrior can't, by default) or getting a strong hammer. Handplaced monsters of various levels are there if you want/can increase your level very quickly.

Itemization is great with, very basically because in details it's wrong, a good set of unique items, all the classic Identifiy/Repel... scrolls and the various healing potions are there, and you have to identify all your stuff any way you can, that'd be basic stuff if many rogue-likes these days did not abandon this, and the amount of different items is already big, the game is in a very advanced state. The game is not kind, try to climb a mountain and die, get turned to stone, paralyzed and killed by monsters, prayers to your chosen god (you can pray anywhere) can help especially with this kind of problems or to get the curses on your equipment removed but pray too much and you'll get killed by divine avengers.

Companions are very dumb to a fault, even managing to make them follow you from the end of a map to the other is an achievement. Also, even if the difference in xp between weak monsters and strong monsters certainly helps here, you're very not invited to roam through various generic caves, the game still feels a bit more than some specific other games like spending 20 minutes and 5 floors fighting harmless monsters to suddendly die to one strong one, which in my opinion is worse as a mage class because I can't simply bump, I need to press more buttons and be careful about pressing the right buttons (really pressing the right buttons, not make better decisions, these don't matter against average enemies), as a warrior it's more manageable, but then it makes me prefer to play as a warrior rather than as a mage which is a bit of a shame. I'm also not that much of a fan, actually, of redoing so much handcrafted content, the same quests, after restarting from the very start of a rogue-like.

The game uses a unique tileset, I think?

I'm not even sure how original the game is, from the classic ones ADOM is one I already booted but never played more than the beginning, what's certain is that it's well executed.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The comparisons to ADOM are piquing my interest. I always really enjoyed ADOM's unique style of a static overworld with quests and NPCs and the mixture of randomised and static dungeons.

Biskup seems to be abandoning a lot of that with his new ADOM game, so this might fill a gap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom