Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Chris Avellone: What the Fuck Happened to Bloodlines 2?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Hardsuit Labs; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Apparently, since his return to the public spotlight, Chris Avellone has been getting a lot of questions about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 from fans who are curious to know what the hell happened to it. Today he published an article on his Medium blog to address that question. The long and short of it is that he doesn't know, but that didn't stop him from describing his involvement with the project in his characteristically entertaining fashion. Chris now seems somewhat regretful about the role he played in getting Bloodlines 2 greenlit on behalf of a studio that clearly wasn't up to the task of creating it. Here's an excerpt from his post:

So the Bloodlines 2 pitch. I know all about this process, not just because it’s public knowledge, but because I was there for the pitch meeting.

The pitch meeting happened in Las Vegas. I almost forgot why it was in Vegas, but then I remembered it’s also where the D.I.C.E convention happens every year when there isn’t a pandemic.

If you’re not familiar with D.I.C.E., you’re not missing much. As one described it, it’s where game executives go to jerk each other off, pretend to facilitate contracts, give awards to themselves, and compliment each other on the hard work the developers at their studios do. The Biz Dev guys go there to feed on these same executives and devour them slowly from within like humanoid parasites from the movie The Bay. It’s all part of the vampiric theme.

So Paradox and Hardsuit were in Las Vegas for D.I.C.E. We, being schleps, went there without going to D.I.C.E. because we are not executives. I went because I wanted to help Hardsuit with the pitch, I had been working with Hardsuit for some time prior on the title, and to encourage the Paradox folks the pitch was a good idea because I knew the Paradox folks from years before. This “encouragement” was very selfish of me and in retrospect of all that was going to happen, probably kind of shitty.

Yes, selfish. Yes, shitty. Still, it wasn’t hard to rationalize. It had been so many years since the original, I wanted someone to do it, and I thought Bloodlines fans (including me) had waited long enough. I was mostly thinking of myself, though, because (surprise) I wanted to work on it in any capacity. Now that Paradox had secured the Vampire license, it seemed like it could finally happen… if we could just convince them to do it. Interestingly, Hardsuit didn’t even get 1/3 of the way through the Power Point pitch before we stopped it and just started to chat with Paradox about the project more informally to get them more engaged in the idea (Power Points are easy to zone out to). Paradox did get engaged. They agreed, put pen to paper, blah blah blah.

To fill you in on what I did on the project, since most people think I was booted from it last year (?) along with everyone else. This “news” is attributed to some poorly worded public statements from the usual round of idiots that got passed through a filter held by an idiot and poured into an idiot glass and then passed out to the public and marketed as a refreshing new mineral water that will ultimately pass through your bladder and into your toilet. Thanks for that, idiots. You could have just said, “contract was over.”

To explain my contract: I worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost 2 and a half years, from 2016 to mid-2018, then my contract came to an end. They didn’t use anything I wrote during that time, which was a number of major characters and side missions, check my LinkedIn. This made me sad, but it’s not my choice. The whole experience was like the last five minutes of Barton Fink (not the beach scene, the scene before it, know-it-all), but stretched out over 2 and a half years. Even if I had known all that work was useless, I’d have written anyway, even though its part of your life you don’t get back, so you can’t really dwell on it too much. I’ve been on projects where a LOT more got thrown away… as Bloodlines 2 proved for almost everyone on it in the end, apparently.

So what happened after? Why did the staff change? Why did it move to another developer? Did it actually move to a developer or is that bullshit?

To all of you asking: I have no fucking idea.
In the rest of the post, Chris explains why former Bloodlines 2 devs may have been unable to say why they were fired, expresses his opinion that he and Brian Mitsoda were brought on to grant the project credibility, and makes sure to give a shoutout to composer Rik Schaffer as well. In summary, he knows about as much as we do.

Zeriel

Arcane
Tags: Chris Avellone; Hardsuit Labs; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Apparently, since his return to the public spotlight, Chris Avellone has been getting a lot of questions about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 from fans who are curious to know what the hell happened to it. Today he published an article on his Medium blog to address that question. The long and short of it is that he doesn't know, but that didn't stop him from describing his involvement with the project in his characteristically entertaining fashion. Chris now seems somewhat regretful about the role he played in getting Bloodlines 2 greenlit on behalf of a studio that clearly wasn't up to the task of creating it. Here's an excerpt from his post:

So the Bloodlines 2 pitch. I know all about this process, not just because it’s public knowledge, but because I was there for the pitch meeting.

The pitch meeting happened in Las Vegas. I almost forgot why it was in Vegas, but then I remembered it’s also where the D.I.C.E convention happens every year when there isn’t a pandemic.

If you’re not familiar with D.I.C.E., you’re not missing much. As one described it, it’s where game executives go to jerk each other off, pretend to facilitate contracts, give awards to themselves, and compliment each other on the hard work the developers at their studios do. The Biz Dev guys go there to feed on these same executives and devour them slowly from within like humanoid parasites from the movie The Bay. It’s all part of the vampiric theme.

So Paradox and Hardsuit were in Las Vegas for D.I.C.E. We, being schleps, went there without going to D.I.C.E. because we are not executives. I went because I wanted to help Hardsuit with the pitch, I had been working with Hardsuit for some time prior on the title, and to encourage the Paradox folks the pitch was a good idea because I knew the Paradox folks from years before. This “encouragement” was very selfish of me and in retrospect of all that was going to happen, probably kind of shitty.

Yes, selfish. Yes, shitty. Still, it wasn’t hard to rationalize. It had been so many years since the original, I wanted someone to do it, and I thought Bloodlines fans (including me) had waited long enough. I was mostly thinking of myself, though, because (surprise) I wanted to work on it in any capacity. Now that Paradox had secured the Vampire license, it seemed like it could finally happen… if we could just convince them to do it. Interestingly, Hardsuit didn’t even get 1/3 of the way through the Power Point pitch before we stopped it and just started to chat with Paradox about the project more informally to get them more engaged in the idea (Power Points are easy to zone out to). Paradox did get engaged. They agreed, put pen to paper, blah blah blah.

To fill you in on what I did on the project, since most people think I was booted from it last year (?) along with everyone else. This “news” is attributed to some poorly worded public statements from the usual round of idiots that got passed through a filter held by an idiot and poured into an idiot glass and then passed out to the public and marketed as a refreshing new mineral water that will ultimately pass through your bladder and into your toilet. Thanks for that, idiots. You could have just said, “contract was over.”

To explain my contract: I worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost 2 and a half years, from 2016 to mid-2018, then my contract came to an end. They didn’t use anything I wrote during that time, which was a number of major characters and side missions, check my LinkedIn. This made me sad, but it’s not my choice. The whole experience was like the last five minutes of Barton Fink (not the beach scene, the scene before it, know-it-all), but stretched out over 2 and a half years. Even if I had known all that work was useless, I’d have written anyway, even though its part of your life you don’t get back, so you can’t really dwell on it too much. I’ve been on projects where a LOT more got thrown away… as Bloodlines 2 proved for almost everyone on it in the end, apparently.

So what happened after? Why did the staff change? Why did it move to another developer? Did it actually move to a developer or is that bullshit?

To all of you asking: I have no fucking idea.
In the rest of the post, Chris explains why former Bloodlines 2 devs may have been unable to say why they were fired, expresses his opinion that he and Brian Mitsoda were brought on to grant the project credibility, and makes sure to give a shoutout to composer Rik Schaffer as well. In summary, he knows about as much as we do.

This comports with the trend of MCA being used by studios to get funding/street cred, never use or have any interest in using his work, then throw him under the bus when it suits them. Turns out it's not just a Fearghus thing!

If I was MCA and I hadn't destroyed my public reputation by letting a bunch of used-up slags pillory me in the public square, I would have given up on the whole "writing" thing and just outright sold my name, since apparently that's all these companies wanted him for anyway and otherwise treated him like trash.

Developer
Gamers don't like rpgs, they like being grabbed by the pussy. My guess is VTMB2 management realized they had no pussy-grabbing plan.

edit: I am both Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski, and almost no one wanted to play my demo. Let that sink in.
None of this surprises me.

Murk

Arcane
Wesp5 ayy, you got a shoutout mang.

Also, hey, awesome, I was just asking for an MCA style ranthathon about this.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
So if Chris was willing to vouch for Hardsuit because he had been working with them on it before the pitch, how did he get on board in the first place? Was Brian already there?

I have to say just from some moderate familiarity with game development and the Seattle area... It kinda sounds like it might ultimately come down to Brian naively talking up his new pals to Chris, and then Paradox trusting the endorsement of those two. Chris wouldn't know it was false confidence because Brian would be adorably oblivious to how badly King County is now fucking mentally infected, bless his innocent soul.

Murk

Arcane
So if Chris was willing to vouch for Hardsuit because he had been working with them on it before the pitch, how did he get on board in the first place? Was Brian already there?

It's in the blog post.

dbca92999585cc64720b3c1af05d0bc1.png

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then I read deeper and got to the part about Mitsoda being used for marketing and how that takes a physical and mental toll — boy, did I understand. See, this may come as a shock, but writers don’t usually get into writing and especially writing for games because gee, they like being in front of the public and mouthing marketing catchphrases. It fucking sucks.

It's hard being MCA :(

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The interesting revelation that I got from this is that all of Chris's work on Bloodlines 2 was scrapped long before the allegations occurred.

I guess that kills the Brian defended Chris theory as to why Brian was dropped.

passerby

Arcane
Gamers don't like rpgs, they like being grabbed by the pussy. My guess is VTMB2 management realized they had no pussy-grabbing plan.

edit: I am both Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski, and almost no one wanted to play my demo. Let that sink in.
None of this surprises me.

You are too reasonable.

Codex Year of the Donut
I never once got the implication that she's autistic.
She's far too good at manipulating people — I mean socially, not using the force to do so. If anything, I'd place her in sociopath territory.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Autists are always obsessed with "proving" that characters in movies/games are also autistic. It validates their existence or some shit.

I guess that's autism for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom