Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Encased Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dark Crystal Games; Encased; Koch Media

The next release of this very busy September is Encased, the Fallout-inspired isometric RPG set under a mysterious dome from Saint Petersburg-based studio Dark Crystal Games. Encased generated some excitement on the forum when our users first learned about it in early 2018, but as time went on most people seem to have lost interest in it in favor of yakking endlessly about various fantasy RPGs. Those few who did play the Early Access release had mostly good things to report, although it clearly took a while for the game to come together. Anyway, I guess now we'll see how much hype it really deserved. Here's its brief launch trailer and an excerpt from the accompanying announcement:

We are beyond thrilled to make this announcement. Today, Encased, the game to which we have dedicated more than three years of our lives, will be released out of early access. It's hard for us to contain our excitement and describe how important that moment is.

We’ve been through the Kickstarter campaign, two years of early access, five content patches, millions of hours of early access playtime, hundreds of characters, quests, abilities, and items.

Ahead of us is a leap of faith into the final stage of the most desperate adventure of our lives!

Do you remember how it all started?
In 2017 a very small team of developers decided to create their own game. An RPG with enormous freedom of choice, nearly infinite variability, hundreds of characters, and a real influence of player’s choices on the world and the story. We knew from the start that we had a long, challenging, but incredibly exciting road ahead of us. And as we developed, it only became more and more difficult.

Now we are working with a major publisher Prime Matter, but we are still the same independent studio, burning with the idea to create games of our dreams. Our numbers have grown from only a few employees to dozens of people, and the duration of a single full playthrough is around 40 hours!

Get ready for adventures and more
During the two years of Early Access, many of you have already played dozens of hours in Early Access. The game has already received five content patches that added new mechanics, locations, and characters to the game.

Today, you will uncover the entire world under the Dome, a full story campaign, an updated interface, and dozens of endings that will be influenced by your own decisions. And today we're going to tell you about some of the features we're most proud of!

Encased encourages the most sophisticated ways of playing through the game and is ready for your most extraordinary deeds and decisions. Many, even seemingly insignificant steps of your character will affect the world, story and ending.

There's only one review of Encased in English on Metacritic right now. Frankly it seems likely that it'll be overlooked, coming in between Wrath of the Righteous and the rest of this month's releases. If you are looking for the post-apocalyptic experience, you can grab the game on Steam or GOG for $30, with a 20% launch discount until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Setting, story and narrative are awesome. Problem is the combat's difficulty. Let's see if the devs patch it. But having fun, so far!

Edit: It's too easy.

Last edited:

AndrewCC

Educated
Do you mean it's too easy or too hard? How are the difficulty options?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Frankly it seems likely that it'll be overlooked, coming in between Wrath of the Righteous and the rest of this month's releases.
I hope not. In any case, Wrath is of no interest to me, but Encased seems right up my... uhhh... alley.

Might be wise to wait a bit for some bug fixes.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game looks promising, but Dark Crystal chose a really bad time to release it - in between other RPGs, all of which have better marketing. I am afraid this will flop hard.

6sFCoMH.png

Jinn

Arcane
Really hoping not too. It's not doing too bad on the Steam bestseller list right now, but definitely not where it deserves to be. Sucks to say, but I hope Cohh Carnage streams the game soon. That'll probably provide a decently large boost in sales.

This game is great. Not without some flaws here and there, but overall a fantastic experience in a super unique setting. Hope more codexers will check it out.

cw8

Cipher
Really hoping not too. It's not doing too bad on the Steam bestseller list right now, but definitely not where it deserves to be. Sucks to say, but I hope Cohh Carnage streams the game soon.

I think he's busy with Pathfinder WOTR. Just uploaded the 100th episode of his stream

Dr Schultz

Augur
Setting, story and narrative are awesome. Problem is the combat's difficulty. Let's see if the devs patch it. But having fun, so far!

Edit: It's too easy.

Being Fallout (1 and 2) their main source of inspiration, I doubt they will increase the combat difficulty.

Jinn

Arcane
Being Fallout (1 and 2) their main source of inspiration, I doubt they will increase the combat difficulty.

They already said they would consider adding another difficulty mode post-release. On top of that, the difficulty isn't nearly as easy as it was made out to be in 1.0. It's not bad at all, at least in the first 6 hours or so I've played.

Dr Schultz

Augur

They already said they would consider adding another difficulty mode post-release. On top of that, the difficulty isn't nearly as easy as it was made out to be in 1.0. It's not bad at all, at least in the first 6 hours or so I've played.

I wasn't complaining. I love Fallout even if it is one of the easiest RPG I've ever played.

When your main design goal is to allow as much build diversity as possible, difficulty can't be be your focus.

Difficulty is actually kind of at odds with this specific design goal.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
I wasn't complaining. I love Fallout even if it is one of the easiest RPG I've ever played.

When your main design goal is to allow as much build diversity as possible, difficulty can't be be your focus.

Difficulty is actually kind of at odds with this specific design goal.

Oh yeah, I was mainly clearing it up because a lot of people around here (myself included) had been very warry about what the difficulty would be like. I am glad to report have been proven wrong about my concerns, so far anyway.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Excited to give this a try. I was following the thread until the Early Access was released, which is when I bowed out to ensure that nothing would be spoiled. Anyone know how long the developers said the game is supposed to be?

Jinn

Arcane
Excited to give this a try. I was following the thread until the Early Access was released, which is when I bowed out to ensure that nothing would be spoiled. Anyone know how long the developers said the game is supposed to be?

40-60 hours for a playthrough. I can see this will easily be so.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can we get a quick if you like Fallout you will like this, Codex recommendation?

Of the Recent Eastern-European Developed Fallout-likes:
Atom RPG was too chatty for me, with an English translation/prose that was acceptable, but not up to the par of a game that was so text-based.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game looks promising, but Dark Crystal chose a really bad time to release it - in between other RPGs, all of which have better marketing. I am afraid this will flop hard.

6sFCoMH.png

Pathfinder is a popular PnP system directly descended from the grandfather DnD, so clearly it has more of a normie awareness. Regardless, Fallout clones have always been a niche genre and I don't know why people on Codex try to pretend otherwise...

Encased:
axPrPjU.png

ATOM RPG:
xOw53fS.png

UnderRail:
9Gy3B3q.png

Neo Scavenger:
JAnEXBd.png

Encased hasn't even been fully out during a weekend either.

Thonius

Arcane
I must be some anomaly then, since I want to play both but got time for ONE now. And since PFWROTH was released early I'm playing it since I don't like to jump from one game to another.

Thonius

Arcane
I must be some anomaly then, since I want to play both but got time for ONE now. And since PFWROTH was released early I'm playing it since I don't like to jump from one game to another.

The smart money is waiting for WOTR to fix its myriad of quest-breaking bugs before playing it.
Too late I started it! Plus I'm optimistic about patches and planning on 2-3 playthroughs.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

6sFCoMH.png

Pathfinder is a popular PnP system directly descended from the grandfather DnD, so clearly it has more of a normie awareness. Regardless, Fallout clones have always been a niche genre and I don't know why people on Codex try to pretend otherwise...

Encased:
axPrPjU.png

ATOM RPG:
xOw53fS.png

UnderRail:
9Gy3B3q.png

Neo Scavenger:
JAnEXBd.png

Encased hasn't even been fully out during a weekend either.
Hey, I would love to be wrong. Also, hopefully UnderRail/ATOM sales numbers are enough for Dark Crystal to stay afloat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom