Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Expeditions: Rome Siege Trailer and Reviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Rome; Logic Artists; THQ Nordic

Following up on yesterday's dev diary, today THQ Nordic released a new trailer for Expeditions: Rome offering a look at one of its siege scenarios. It appears to be an alternate history version of the Battle of Chalcedon (74 BC) in which the Roman forces were more successful. The trailer demonstrates all of the features described in the dev diary.

Reviews of Expeditions: Rome also began appearing today. There aren't many of them, but most found it to be an ambitious and feature-rich game, albeit with some niggle or another that prevented them from giving it a perfect score. Here's the list:

Hopefully more sites will published reviews of Rome before it launches on Thursday. As the first significant RPG release of the year that's also had a free demo since last month, it should be getting attention.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is the article promoted at the end of that review:

ow.png

I don't think we're part of their intended audience.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I would day 1 purchase this if not for the somewhat generic writing and companion cast. I want some hardnosed veteran career Roman legionaries, not the collection of tropes that the game currently offers.

I'll give it another go if/when they implement custom companions.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Reviews of Expeditions: Rome also began appearing today. There aren't many of them, but most found it to be an ambitious and feature-rich game, albeit with some niggle or another that prevented them from giving it a perfect score.

Pretty racist by those mainstream outlets.

"Roman phalanxes"? I guess that's meant as a joke. If not:
The phalanx is the classical Greek city state way of war, adapted by the Macedonians and successfully used during Alexander's wars against the Persian Empire. But the heydays of the phalanx were long over when Gaius Marius reformed the Roman army into movable, flexible maniples which used to thrash that rigid Greek formations. From the depiciton of Roman technology and culture I'd say this game plays decades after Marius (for example the famous and iconic - "thanks" to Hollywood - lorica segmentata as standard army armor was only used extensively for about 150-200 years, from the beginning of the first century b.c. on. It was high-tech but very difficult to repair in the fields so the Romans prefered chain armor from the early centuries on).

Last edited:

Outmind

Augur
The phalanx is the classical Greek city state way of war, adapted by the Macedonians and successfully used during Alexander's wars against the Persian Empire. But the heydays of the phalanx were long over when Gaius Marius reformed the Roman army into movable, flexible maniples which used to thrash that rigid Greek formations. From the depiciton of Roman technology and culture I'd say this game plays decades after Marius (for example the famous lorica segmentata as standard army armor was only used extensively for about 150-200 years, from the beginning of the first century b.c. on. It was high-tech but very difficult to repair in the fields so the Romans prefered chain armor from the early centuries on).

Maybe he spelled phalluses wrong?

Alter Sack

Magister
The phalanx is the classical Greek city state way of war, adapted by the Macedonians and successfully used during Alexander's wars against the Persian Empire. But the heydays of the phalanx were long over when Gaius Marius reformed the Roman army into movable, flexible maniples which used to thrash that rigid Greek formations. From the depiciton of Roman technology and culture I'd say this game plays decades after Marius (for example the famous lorica segmentata as standard army armor was only used extensively for about 150-200 years, from the beginning of the first century b.c. on. It was high-tech but very difficult to repair in the fields so the Romans prefered chain armor from the early centuries on).

Maybe he spelled phalluses wrong?

Reminds me of good old Biggus Dickus:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Viking was a let down, but I got it only because of Conquistador. Going in blind, didn't read anything or played the demo, probably will suck if it's more like the generic C:Viking, but whatever.

Meh, looks a bit strange to me. Somehow you seem to get to meet all the crème de la crème / who is who? of the late Republic, Romans and Barbarians alike, in your adventures. Seems rather ridiculous to me. But maybe the story manages to bring it all together... I don't know.

Also: Why no latin voice acting and english subs?

I guess I'll rather watch HBO's Rome again and wait for more indepth reviews of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom