Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Informative Titan Quest review at Gameworld

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Iron Lore; Titan Quest

<a href=http://www.gwn.com>Gameworld Networld</a> has posted a <a href=http://pcgames.gwn.com/reviews/gamereview.php/id/983/>review</a> of <a href=http://titanquestgame.com/>Titan Quest</a>, generously giving the game 78%, noting <i>repetitive fighting, a mediocre story, and overkill with regards to item drops and money</i>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In addition, the fighting overall can get very repetitive. Although there is a varied assortment of different looking monsters, there are only about ten that actually play differently. The rest are just new skins draped over the same old monsters. Also the only tactic that said monsters seem to know is the “swarm” attack.
<br>
<br>
As far as item drops are concerned, Iron Lore over-produced on this promise. Magical items are a dime a dozen, and after defeating any typical swarm of enemies it was not uncommon to find ten to twenty magical items strewn about the ground.
<br>
<br>
The story of the game is also offered up as a reward to the player. Iron Lore had the Academy award nominated writer of Braveheart, Randall Wallace, help out with writing the story, so I had high hopes for this aspect of the game. Although not terrible, the story ends up just being some vague reason as to why you have to go from point A to point B and kill monsters C, D, and E.
<br>
<br>
Although it has its flaws, Titan Quest makes for a decent package when you factor in online co-op and the packaged world editor.</blockquote>Translation: it's crap, but you can play with the editor and get to meet interesting people online.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I agree with the summary here - haven't bothered reading the full review. The game starts out with some potential but loses its appeal fast.

The classes are also horribly unbalanced, any sort of melee character becomes severely underpowered after a certain level.

Direwolf

Arcane
Story? What story? I enjoyed the game, but even I admit that there is no story.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Direwolf said:
Story? What story? I enjoyed the game, but even I admit that there is no story.

There's a story, it's just that there's nothing you're really doing to shape it in any way. Well, other than mowing down everything not-human in your path to get to each story point.

Direwolf

Arcane
I don't consider, "OMFG! Some wannabe titans escaped from their prison. Go kill them.", a story.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You can reduce any story down to two lines and make the same argument. Just because you think the game sucks, and I agree that it does suck, doesn't mean there isn't a story.

Direwolf

Arcane
That's not what I said. I think the game is quite good. I enjoyed it, but story is just not there.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Saint_Proverbius said:
You can reduce any story down to two lines and make the same argument. Just because you think the game sucks, and I agree that it does suck, doesn't mean there isn't a story.
What have you done with the real Saint_Proverbius?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom