Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review CVG reviews Gothic 3 - 8.5

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>CVG</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=147535>1-page review</a> (which looks more like a preview to me) of <a href=http://www.gothic3.com/>Gothic 3</a>, giving it 8.5 out of 10 for being "definitely something any self-respecting RPG-lover will want to get his or her teeth into."
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> New to Gothic 3 are handy skills such as 'Murder' (stab enemies from behind to kill them instantly) and 'Fighting with Two Swords' (yeah, you can probably work this one out yourself), which basically give you even more freedom in the way you develop your character. You'll still be a funny-looking bloke with a goatee, mind.
<br>
<br>
There's no level cap, so you can keep developing skills and abilities all the way through the game, and, unlike in Oblivion, enemies and other characters don't level-up with you, meaning you're not going to slay a dragon and then get iced by one of the aforementioned oversized chickens on your way home. Instead, each type of enemy has been given a minimum and maximum level, and where they are when you meet them depends on whereabouts in this range they are.
<br>
<br>
This means that certain foes are going to be impossible to beat till you get further in the game, while others will soon become mere fodder for your sword edge. A wise decision by the developers, in our opinion: it ensures there's a reason for you to level-up (so you can get to certain places and complete certain missions) and makes the world more believable. In Oblivion, bandits end up toting equipment worth many thousands of gold coins, which doesn't make sense - that doesn't happen here.</blockquote>Nothing new is revealed/explained, unfortunately.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Grafo

suibhne

Erudite
Well, nothing new...except the fact that a mainstream publication is using its G3 review as an opportunity to openly bash one of the very stupidest aspects of Oblivion. I'm way too lazy to look back at CVG's Oblivion review, but that still gives me a warm fuzzy.

suibhne

Erudite
Fix your link to the review, VD. :wink:

Should be this: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=147535

Btw, one new piece of info, if CVG is actually correct, is that you don't make a "final" faction choice until about 2/3rds of the way into the game. This is much later than your faction choice in either of the first two; by 2/3rds of the way through G1 or G2, in fact, your faction no longer even mattered. If this is true, G3 could be more replayable and interesting by making factions more meaningful (or, on the flip side, could actually make factions less important for the first 2/3rds of the game...).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
suibhne said:
Well, nothing new...except the fact that a mainstream publication is using its G3 review as an opportunity to openly bash one of the very stupidest aspects of Oblivion. I'm way too lazy to look back at CVG's Oblivion review, but that still gives me a warm fuzzy.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=136802
Tag line: The defintiive PC review of what is undoubtedley the best RPG in the history of gaming!

Fix your link to the review, VD.
Done. Thanks.

suibhne

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
suibhne said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=136802
Tag line: The defintiive PC review of what is undoubtedley the best RPG in the history of gaming!

Ha! Their Oblivion review even misspells "magisterial", the very first word of the review. :lol:

Well, at least they've earned their RPG cred. :arrow:

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
It is a known fact that playing Oblivion affects spelling.

And there's me thinking that it was the other way around - only people who don't have the mental capacity to master basic spelling can enjoy Oblivion.

Blue

Novice
I've been lurking on these forums for a long time now, haven't even registered until this day. I've been waiting for Gothic 3 for a while now, (playing Gothic II) right now and I can't figure out how people can bash Gothic for not being an Elderscrolls game.

This quote below is the worst thing I have ever read in a review. Of all the single player RPG's I've played, the ones that are to easy (Oblivion) are the ones I never finish. Those that challenge me (Gothic II) I keep playing because I feel rewarded when I accomplish something in game (like defeating the black troll for the first time, or taking out your first Orc for the first time). This idea that because Gothic is challenging and its not just a mouse click to do a 10 hit combo and the enemy is dead that makes it bad.

On the downside, the danger of spreading your shill-base too widely and unforgiving combat will make it a bit too challenging (nay, frustrating), as you can't 'do an Oblivion' and simply explore the entire world at level one.

I love the fact that you can't be a Master of All. Again Oblivion let you do that (they said you couldn't but it was laughably easy to). You can try, but its challenging and you end up weak and not strong because of that choice.

How about a sneaking rogue? Or a badass mage? No problemo. You can mix and match these abilities, but it's wise to concentrate on one or two things only, unless you want to end up as the living embodiment of the phrase 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

Which brings me to the point that your choices have consequences. For some reason people think that this is a bad thing, that you should be allowed to be in every guild and kill joe and then talk to joes friends and they won't care. Again, I don't understand this mentality.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, just needed a place to vent at this review.

Blue

Ladonna

Arcane
What amazes me is the blatant Oblivion bashing I have just started to see creeping into the media. None of them ever state 'oh, I loved the game, but then realised that it is as shallow as all shit'...Just just pretend that they always saw its flaws :lol:

Perhaps Bethesda bought time shares or something.

suibhne

Erudite
+1 to everything, Blue. But what struck me about the review was that the author tried to have it both ways: he criticized some of Oblivion's mechanics, then turned around and said G3 was frustrating because it didn't share those. :?

Blue said:
For some reason people think that this is a bad thing, that you should be allowed to be in every guild and kill joe and then talk to joes friends and they won't care. Again, I don't understand this mentality.

Oh, don't you know? It's called "roelplaying", and it's up to you to "roelplay". These dumb consequences just get in your way and prevent you from roelplaying your ninja-wizard who runs around on horses killing things. :P

Ladonna

Arcane
Correction: Runs around on horses, then gets off the horse to kill things.

Blue

Novice
That being said, I haven't played G3 yet and as such can't judge what kind of game it will be yet, I can only hope it follows in the footsteps of G2.

I understand that the game is buggy, its almost sad that I'm ok with this and expected it. I'm waiting for it to be released in N. America so I can get it, and hopefully by that time they have ironed some of the bugs.

I love dieing(sp?) in a game, if I don't die, then the game is to easy. When you die you have reevaluate (sp? wow I'm really having a hard time here) what happened and why you died and how to make it throug that area.

I'm going to refer to G2 and say that there are still some areas that I enter with caution even after 50 hours of game play, and there are still some areas I can't get into because all I do is get slaughtered, as it should be.

Not sure why I feel so passionatly about this, just do, guess its because I'm enjoying G2 so much.

Oh by the way, to my shame I bought a 360 to play oblivion and have only played 10 hours or so of it, and ended up playing G2 instead (a game that came out years previous). Graphics are nice and all but without anything else its just a pretty picture, you can look at it, go hmm thats nice and then move on, don't have to spend any time on it. Not to mention that the seamless world of G3 is pretty damn nice. I always love trying to find a way into the city that I'm not suppose to be able to, climb the wall or w/e.

I'm on a rant now.

Blue

Texas Red

Whiner
suibhne said:
+1 to everything, Blue. But what struck me about the review was that the author tried to have it both ways: he criticized some of Oblivion's mechanics, then turned around and said G3 was frustrating because it didn't share those. :?

Yeah, well, what the hell does Oblivion have to do with Gothic 3? Or can we expect all the reviews of G3 and NWN 2 to be comparisons to Oblivion?

The Walkin' Dude said:
suibhne said:

Yeah, well, what the hell does Oblivion have to do with Gothic 3? Or can we expect all the reviews of G3 and NWN 2 to be comparisons to Oblivion?

Well.... yes.

Blue

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
suibhne said:

Similarities:
-Open World
-Can kill anyone and take anything
-One character
-Action Type Combat
-Both have stats/abilities (although dealt with very differently in each game)
-I'm sure there are more

Differences:
-Seamless World
-Difficulty
-Story
-Repeatability (Don't tell me you would play through oblivion again, if you do I'm not sure why your on these forums)
-Consequences
-Horses ( :wink: )
-Duel Wielding ( :roll: )

I'm sure there are tons more, but the above listed similarities tie them to each other.

Walking Dog have you ever played any of the Gothic Series? If you have you would realise that they (Elderscrolls and Gothic) are similar (not the same, just similar concepts) and as such are destined to be compared.

Blue

suibhne

Erudite
There's also the facts that A) they're the two big-name SP-only RPGs this year (or maybe even the past few years), and B) the meme that they should be compared was encouraged early on by JoWood and Aspyr and seems to have been pretty universally accepted.

Whether or not they should be compared, they have been, are, and will be. And frankly, if it gets more publicity for G3, I'm fine with that. :)

fizzelopeguss said:
Well my copy has shipped, hopefully it might just be with me tomorrow...although this is the royal mail we're talking about here.

Quite. I'm in the same boat, it's on its way first-class, but I don't expect it until tuesday or so.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Blue said:
I've been lurking on these forums for a long time now, haven't even registered until this day. I've been waiting for Gothic 3 for a while now, (playing Gothic II) right now and I can't figure out how people can bash Gothic for not being an Elderscrolls game.

This quote below is the worst thing I have ever read in a review. Of all the single player RPG's I've played, the ones that are to easy (Oblivion) are the ones I never finish. Those that challenge me (Gothic II) I keep playing because I feel rewarded when I accomplish something in game (like defeating the black troll for the first time, or taking out your first Orc for the first time). This idea that because Gothic is challenging and its not just a mouse click to do a 10 hit combo and the enemy is dead that makes it bad.

On the downside, the danger of spreading your shill-base too widely and unforgiving combat will make it a bit too challenging (nay, frustrating), as you can't 'do an Oblivion' and simply explore the entire world at level one.

I love the fact that you can't be a Master of All. Again Oblivion let you do that (they said you couldn't but it was laughably easy to). You can try, but its challenging and you end up weak and not strong because of that choice.

How about a sneaking rogue? Or a badass mage? No problemo. You can mix and match these abilities, but it's wise to concentrate on one or two things only, unless you want to end up as the living embodiment of the phrase 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

Which brings me to the point that your choices have consequences. For some reason people think that this is a bad thing, that you should be allowed to be in every guild and kill joe and then talk to joes friends and they won't care. Again, I don't understand this mentality.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, just needed a place to vent at this review.

Blue

There is a difference between challenge and mindless idiocy. For example the way armor works means armor is 80% of the determining factor in whether you can beat a monster. Mosters tend to be way too easy or way too hard.

I like to explore, and in most games that is easy for me (the uber powergamer), but in the gothics armor is tied to quest lines so it makes my gameplay style painfully diificult. Int he first gothic I wasted a huge amount of time clearing the map before getting armor. then once I got armor everything was snoozefully easy. Some great gaming experience!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom