Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Honest Gamers love Gothic 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

A site called <a href=http://www.honestgamers.com>Honest Gamers</a>* has posted a very positive, but completely useless <a href=http://www.honestgamers.com/systems/content.php?console_id=13&review_id=5166&game_id=22368>Gothic 3 review</a>, giving it 9/10 for being "open-ended gameplay at it's best".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Thrusts, parries and blows need to be delivered just right to sneak past the enemy's attack leaving players more used to Oblivion's 'charge in swinging' style a little disorientated. Striding into the sunlight-choked forest with a nasty looking sword slung over my shoulder, I confidently charged at the first boar I saw, pummelled the attack button and swore heavily as it charged through my clumsy swings and slices and bowled me over.
<br>
<br>
These problems can be overcome by learning the battle system employed, investing level-up points in various attack skills or by utilising a better weapon for given foes (for instance, when I took on a boar with the much longer-reaching scythe, they fell with almost insulting ease) but some of the other quirks thrown up in battle are not so easily side-stepped. The smallest of these is the awful grunts of pain you or your foes will release after being struck, often making each battle a veritable concerto of "Oh! Oh! Aw! Oh!" on a constantly repeated cycle. This only adds the what might be the game's biggest flaw; the dreaded stunlock. </blockquote>Well, at least we know that the dreadful boars of death can be defeated.
<br>
<br>
* Credibility check:
<br>
<br>
<a href=http://www.honestgamers.com/systems/content.php?console_id=13&review_id=4339&game_id=7861>Neverwinter Nights - 9/10</a> <i>"As vast and fun as the single-player campaign is...."</i> Riiight.
<br>
<a href=http://www.honestgamers.com/systems/content.php?console_id=13&review_id=4916&game_id=19869>Oblivion review - 9/10</a> <i>"The previous game in the series, Morrowind, may have been an excellent game, but it’s not even close to the amazing achievement that is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion."</i> Like, totally.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
And here I thought the site was called Ho Nest @ Amers

or L 1 one st gamers

Nael

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
* Credibility check:

<a>Neverwinter Nights - 9/10</a> <i>"As vast and fun as the single-player campaign is...."</i> Riiight.
<a>Oblivion review - 9/10</a> <i>"The previous game in the series, Morrowind, may have been an excellent game, but it’s not even close to the amazing achievement that is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion."</i> Like, totally.

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

And that's exactly why if I'm interested in a game, I tend to steer clear of big review sites and just peruse forums like these looking for truely honest opinions that aren't influenced by a few dollars under the table to keep their website running. Every review big and small has a certain skew to it obviously, but I generally find that Joe Schmo will tell you exactly what he thinks and not what some editor wants him to say.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I tend to steer clear of big review sites"

What's your idea of 'big rveiew sites' because last i checked this one isn't a 'big review site'. L0LLERZ!

Nael

Arcane
Volourn said:
What's your idea of 'big rveiew sites' because last i checked this one isn't a 'big review site'. L0LLERZ!

Gamespot and IGN. Ya know... the usual suspects :p

Perhaps "Big" was a poor choice of words. What I meant to say was pretty much any site that devotes itself to the review of games. I tend to only trust forums for unbias opinions or word of mouth from someone I trust.

I put Gothic 3 on the shelf because it doesn't feel COMPLETED! It's like they released a test version out to the public so PB can fix the "issues" with the "current" release of Gothic 3. Hopefully their is a great game burried underneath this bullshit!

Shoelip

Arbiter
The_Nameless_Prick said:
I put Gothic 3 on the shelf because it doesn't feel COMPLETED! It's like they released a test version out to the public so PB can fix the "issues" with the "current" release of Gothic 3. Hopefully their is a great game burried underneath this bullshit!

Seems like there is so far, and PB is pretty good about making sure their rushed games end up playable.

Monolith

Prophet
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Well, once again it doesn't seem to make a fucking difference. It's bought anyway. :roll:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I sure hope they tweek the combat a little. On the other hand it should be difficult enough to cause the bloodvessels in my eyes to burst like Gothic 2 so maybe it's fine.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Bah.

Piranha Bytes have thankfully countered that persistent gripe by making overall progression far easier and slicker than before. As well as being able to outrun any beastie before it chases you halfway across the map, more than before a good deal of quests won't even require you to unsheathe your weapon. Missions are generous and experience points are given out willy-nilly, sometimes just for talking to people. For that reason, you'll fair shoot through the early levels earning enough learning points and amassing cash to buy up the various stats and skills that make you a stronger person pretty early on.

Eurogamer review.

Balor

Arcane
Why combat in gothic 2 was tough?
Vs humans and orcs:
click, rightclick, click, rightclick untill enemy_health == 0
Vs monsters
click, click, click...

Or fireball em to death... like click, click, drink potion, repeat.

Did Gothic 1/2 have diabloesque insane amounts of enemies at one time? I'm on a quest to retrieve six ancestor stones from various tombs, and the first one had roughly 100 skeletons to hack through. Only to find the stone gone. Sigh.

Admiral jimbob said:
Did Gothic 1/2 have diabloesque insane amounts of enemies at one time? I'm on a quest to retrieve six ancestor stones from various tombs, and the first one had roughly 100 skeletons to hack through. Only to find the stone gone. Sigh.
Nope. There were about half a hundred or so orcs around Old Camp in valley of mines as a "siege", but that's it AFAIR. Usually packs of 1-2 strong enemies, or 3-5 weaker ones. Or 10-15 goblins at once, but they're hardly an enemy.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Balor said:
Why combat in gothic 2 was tough?
Vs humans and orcs:
click, rightclick, click, rightclick untill enemy_health == 0
Vs monsters
click, click, click...

Or fireball em to death... like click, click, drink potion, repeat.
hmmm, i remember holding left mouse to stay focussed on an enemy, then pressing left, right or forward cursor to attack. if your timing was right you were able chain your attacks.
why are you describing G3 combat and calling it G2(1) combat? i'm really not following you...

Texas Red

Whiner
Admiral jimbob said:

Is it scary? Going through the tombs and hacking undead and such?

The Walkin' Dude said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Is it scary? Going through the tombs and hacking undead and such?

The only scary thing is the archers' accuracy. The ones I've been in aren't exactly the claustrophobia-type dark-n-creepy tomb, they're more well-lit, open, Northmanish, two rooms filled to the brim with fucking skeletons, y'know.
I don't think there are any in the middle country of Myrtana, which is a bit disappointing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom