Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic 3 demo is coming on Nov 10

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

Aspyr Media has announced that <a href=http://www.gothic3.com>Gothic 3</a> demo will be released on November 10:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Aspyr Media and JoWood Productions will release the North American demo for the highly anticipated PC RPG Gothic 3 on Friday, November 10. The demo includes the beginning area of the game, including the towns of Ardea and Kap Dun and the Rebel outpost Reddock, with all available quests, weapons, spells and NPCs. There will be no time limits imposed on players.</blockquote>That's a pretty sizable demo that should give you a very good idea of the gameplay.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

suibhne

Erudite
Wow. I thought Aspyr already said there wouldn't be a demo, a few months ago, but maybe they decided to go this route after some of the bad press (outside of NA) for bugs and instability.

suibhne

Erudite
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Naw, they've announced that they WOULD release a demo about a month ago, when the game was not quite released yet. http://www.worldofgothic.com/?go=comments&id=191

I was thinking of an interview with Aspyr's project manager about 2-3 months ago. Maybe it was just a "wait and see" response, but in any case I'm glad they're releasing the demo as long they polish it up nice and bright.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Elwro, it's not your CPU you should be worried about, rather your RAM and video card. Hope you have 2 gigs of RAM otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

KreideBein

Scholar
I wonder what the file size will be. Demo sizes are getting out of hand these days (the Company of Heroes demo was 1.7 GB, for example).

aweigh said:
Elwro, it's not your CPU you should be worried about, rather your RAM and video card. Hope you have 2 gigs of RAM otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

Do you know if a 7800 GT is enough to run the game well at decent graphical settings?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Assuming you have 2GB of RAM along with that card, I would say: 1024x768, Distance(s) at Medium, Resources at High (with INI tweak), Shadows/Grass at Low, AF at 4x, SM3.0 and Depth of Field enabled.

Should run it well at those settings, though don't expect constant 60 FPS or anything like that. More like 25-45 FPS, depending on the situation. You can disable the AF if you want for a bit more performance. That should give you at least 5 FPS back, and the Depth of Field mitigates the need for AF *somewhat*, though that's subjective.

And for god's sake, be sure your Anti-Aliasing is set to APPLICATION CONTROL in your video card's control panel, otherwise expect random graphics corruption when you load the game. And make sure your VSYNC is disabled as well, even if you use DX Tweaker to enable Triple Buffering.

KreideBein

Scholar
aweigh said:
Assuming you have 2GB of RAM along with that card,

Yep, I've got 2 GB RAM.

aweigh said:
I would say: 1024x768, Distance(s) at Medium, Resources at High (with INI tweak), Shadows/Grass at Low, AF at 4x, SM3.0 and Depth of Field enabled.

Should run it well at those settings, though don't expect constant 60 FPS or anything like that. More like 25-45 FPS, depending on the situation. You can disable the AF if you want for a bit more performance. That should give you at least 5 FPS back, and the Depth of Field mitigates the need for AF *somewhat*, though that's subjective.

That's kind of dissapointing; I was hoping to be able to run it at higher settings. It's kind of surprising that it runs so poorly, given that it doesn't do as much graphically as Oblivion, which ran at almost max settings at 1024x768 on my rig. I hope that there'll be a performance patch soon.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Well obviously, you should try for yourself before making up your mind. Hopefully the demo will run the same as the full game so you can judge if it's acceptable to you.

KreideBein

Scholar
aweigh said:
Well obviously, you should try for yourself before making up your mind. Hopefully the demo will run the same as the full game so you can judge if it's acceptable to you.

I'll still try it out - not being able to run the game at the highest possible settings isn't a deal-ending factor. It's just painful to know that I spent $1500 on my rig and it won't be able to make G3 look its best. Oh well, I'll give the demo a go when it comes out. If it's good, I'll get the full game after I finish up with Fallout 2 and ToEE.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Well, your rig is still pretty high-end. Gothic 3 runs poorly on almost all machines.

Ladonna

Arcane
Gothic 3 runs very well on my machine.
Amd64 3400+, 2.5 gb ram, 7600GT.

I run it on high settings, on 1024x768.

Just make sure you have the latest patch, and put the tweaks in. Otherwise, cry.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
aweigh said:
He's right. I have only 1 Gig and I am not bothered!

aweigh said:
You can disable the AF if you want for a bit more performance. That should give you at least 5 FPS back, and the Depth of Field mitigates the need for AF *somewhat*, though that's subjective.
You're right about that as well. After comparing DoF and normal vision on a hill overlooking a forest with a city in the distance, I decided to turn it off. It doesn't really look worse imo and the game feels alot more fluid without it.

Admiral jimbob said:
As They in the Know say, "it's not your computer; it's the game".
Nah; it's your computer, trust me. Your computer sucks. :P

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
FPS makes the game look better than better textures or special effects. I used to play RTCWolfenstein and Quake 3, when I first got it on an older computer, with the graphics down all the way. Smooth is better than pretty, but maybe that's just me.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I agree 100%. I've never understood the people who prefer to play a slideshow, just so they can enable extra shiny specular lighting or whatever.

Playing a game with less than 30 frames per second gives me a headache.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I once played Quake on a 486. As a result, I'm the only one I know who's ever killed a Shambler with an Axe without taking any damage. You just run backwards and forwards. As he reaches up to shoot lightning, you get in close and as he changes to his melee attack, back out again you go.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
aweigh said:
I agree 100%. I've never understood the people who prefer to play a slideshow, just so they can enable extra shiny specular lighting or whatever.
Really? So why do you recommend playing with Depth of Field, which entails a significant performance hit?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
From Bloom? On my rig it doesn't. I always thoroughly benchmark the games I play frequently and running with DoF enabled gives me the same numbers as with having Bloom only.

If you can run it acceptably with Bloom enabled, then in my case there is no reason not to enable DoF as well, especially since the LOD looks like absolute ass. When I recommended that setting I recommended it to a guy with a 7800GT, so he can afford to have it on. Obviously, if he finds it is unacceptable then he should turn it off.

Not all settings give the same performance impact on all machines.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Thrawn05 said:
A demo? I've heard of those before. I'm glad they are still being made.

Except demos nowadays tend to be rather bloated. My PC is a mess and is getting way old, and so most demos I'm usually interested in for system spec evaluation are left untouched.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom